Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Seymour Beer

Expired West Coast Pale Ale

I recently purchased a 2nd LBK on ebay & it included some bottles &  the West Coast Pale Ale with an expiration date of Aug 2014. I know I have read where you guys have said that it should still be good.  Having looked @ Mr. Beer's recent sales on their expiring inventory where they say brew as soon as possible, I was just curious on your thoughts? If I do decide to brew I will buy new yeast & booster as the booster that came with this was hard as a rock. Thanks.

Same answer you came up with - it's fine, will be darker.  Mr. Beer can't sell an item with a Use By Date and then say it's ok to brew it years later, now can they?  

Booster doesn't go bad (stick bag in a bag and hit with hammer).  I toss it - use LME instead.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're on the right track.  As long as the can of HME is intact, you should be good to go, assuming you get some new yeast.

And, of course, the ubiquitous RickBeer gets there first!   :lol:

• Like 1

+1 to all. Just to further put you at ease with your decision, I've been brewing up quite a few batches lately that 'expired' in summer of 2014. Got caught holding a lot of them when I had to stop brewing for a long time. They're all coming out very nicely indeed. Happy brewing!

• Like 1