Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rick N

Bottle Wand?

Was just browsing the site and read that a bottle wand helps achieve proper head space. What is this device and do I need it to get the proper head space? I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch and don't want to screw it up. I'm a lot better at screwing thing up tha getting thing right.

Rick N.

http://www.mrbeer.com/spigot-and-wand-assembly

Ignore the spigot part, they ship together because the old Mr. Beer spigots you had to hold open.

Bottling wands are nice because when you control the on/off by moving the bottle.  And, if you let it fill to the top, when you withdraw it there is the proper headspace.

It is NOT required however, simply fill the bottle by tilting it sideways (so as to not aerate the beer), letting the beer run down the side of the bottle, and stop when you have about an inch of headroom.

• Like 1

I used the wand to bottle my first batch a few weeks ago and it made everything mess free and ridiculously easy.  I highly recommend one.

If you use the 2.5 gallon Slim Line from Wally World (and others, I'm sure) for batch priming, the bottling wand fits inside the spout quite nicely with no leaks.

If the slimline spout is too tight (mine was), you get a drill bit the size of the wand and turn it with your fingers and viola! it fits.

Thanks one and all. That clears thing up. I have a Home brew store that's close and I need to brows through it just to see what's available. This may get to be a serious hobby(past time)

That's what you call you time occupiers when you retire.

Rick N.

If you use the 2.5 gallon Slim Line from Wally World (and others, I'm sure) for batch priming, the bottling wand fits inside the spout quite nicely with no leaks.

What is this "2.5 gallon Slim Line" from Wally World you speak of?

It was just my cheap side maybe trying to save a few bucks if I could put one of these together. I like the LBKs and now have 6, but just looking at other options. Dangerous when I go onto mr beer, always feel I need to spend the $80 to get that free shipping.

• Like 2

What is this device and do I need it to get the proper head space? I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch and don't want to screw it up.

Need it?  Nope, but you'll want one.  It could very well be my favorite tool in my homebrew kit.

I wouldn't worry about it for your first batch (i.e. I wouldn't wait for it to arrive in the mail before bottling).

FYI not sure if it is still the same, but the MrB bottling wand has a spring, whereas many others simply rely on gravity to stop the flow.  The later tend to dribble a bit.  I have several wands but the only one I use is the MrB wand.

And yes, I personally consider it a necessity.  It makes filling very easy (no mucking with turning the spout on and off), it prevents aeration, provides proper headspace, plus I have found that since it is filling from the bottom the whole time in many cases the sugar is completely dissolved so no need to twirl the bottle.  Money well spent and as a bonus you have another brew toy!

• Like 1

FYI

The latest wands from Mr B are the gravity kind, no spring.  I just put a sanitized cup underneath to catch the dribble and then I can put it in a bottle.  If I have to stop for a minute or two, I turn off the valve and the dribble quits.

FYI

The latest wands from Mr B are the gravity kind, no spring.  I just put a sanitized cup underneath to catch the dribble and then I can put it in a bottle.  If I have to stop for a minute or two, I turn off the valve and the dribble quits.

I ordered one a couple months ago & it has a spring. Maybe you should call customer service & see if they sent you a bad one.

I ordered one a couple months ago & it has a spring. Maybe you should call customer service & see if they sent you a bad one.

Agreed. I ordered mine about a month ago and it was spring loaded.

I have 2 bottling wands, one came with my 24lx kit and the other with my 8lx kit. They fit directly into the spigot of both fermenters. The spigot style is different than the spigot of the LBK so maybe the wands are different as well.

I got the gravity kind. I tried it & do not like it . Mine dripped and was messy to use (I did use it over a plastic tub - but something else to clean & I am lazy.) If not using that, I hang the LBK or 8LX spigot over the sink and fill bottles directly over the sink. The bottles will be slanted which limits the aeration and frothing. No spills if careful with the spigot control. I use the PET bottles mostly and I have no problem filling them to a good consistent level guided by the ridges on the taper (1L)  or the width of my fingers (750ml).