Mr.Beer Community
cmonSTART

Scented Dish Soap.. lets just say...

Hi Folks, first post here.  I've searched the forum and read a bunch of stuff, but didn't find a direct answer to my question.

I had a brain cramp while cleaning up my - I read a hundred times not to use scented dish soap, but I did.  I rinsed it several times in hot water, but is there anything else I can do to take care of any residue which might be left over? 

Thanks.  My first batch is in bottles now, good stuff!

Send the bottles to me for analysis.

RickBeer

123 I Will Test Your Beer For Soap Way

Ann Arbor, MI  48105

Actually, I would recommend you NOT use hot water with your LBKs.  Hot water not only can distort the LBK, but it bakes in flavors - whether they be beer or scented dish soap.  Water should be warm, not hot.  

Lots of rinses should be fine.  It's all the additives - scent, lotion, etc. you don't want.

On a similar note:  I cannot find unscented, clear hand soap (not easily anyway).  I used clear hand soap from Walmart - it did have some "scent" (has "fragrance" in ingredients) but not labeled as scented (lavender, citrus, vanilla, etc.).  Is that soap ok or should I find something labeled "unscented"??  If so, where do folks get theirs?

One member uses an unscented hand soap from Dollar General.

As per Rick I got some Seventh Generation Free and Clear unscented hand wash a couple of months ago. Been working good. Only bad thing is I had to buy 8 bottles of it. 

• Like 1

I used this:

post-59190-0-95079500-1423158695_thumb.j

I use the Oxyclean to clean the LBKs after bottling and remove labels.

Unscented Oxyclean works well, too.

+1.  Unscented Oxyclean is my absolute go to cleaner.  Note:  cleaner doesn't erase the need for sanitizer.  We need BOTH.  First clean, then sanitize.

Oxiclean Free (correct spelling) is great for soaking off stubborn dirt and cleaning labels off bottles and bottles that no one cleaned when they were emptied.  However, for washing an LBK or an individual bottle, having unscented soap in a pump bottle by the sink is key.  

I only use Oxiclean Free when I want to clean "dirty" bottles, those that I acquired from someone that usually have labels.  Or the ones my son "took" from my beer shelves to campus, drinks, but doesn't rinse out, then returns with gunk in the bottom.  Really hot water, and Oxiclean Free, in a tub, soaks off the stubborn dirt and the labels just float off.  A quick bottle brush on the inside, then a blast with a jet bottle washer (sometimes you need an adapter, and they don't go on the fancy sink faucets) and I'm good.  

• Like 1

Question:  Immediately after bottling my first batch, I just rinsed out my LBK a few times with warm/hot water and then rinsed it with the Craftmeister Oxygen wash.  I didn't use any rags or sponges to wipe off the inside walls of the LBK.  Instead, I just used my hands and gave the LBK a good shaking while the mix was inside (similar to sanitizing).  Was this enough?  Or am I at risk of a spoiled second batch that I just started?

Just got my LBK for x-mas and am still learning the best practices.  Thanks! 

Inspect the LBK.  If you see any residue inside, that wasn't good enough.  There is no reason to not wipe the inside with a sponge (non-abrasive) or a soft cloth.

The Dollar General soap that Jim used is the same as the same a similar Walmart, Family Dollar, etc brand clear hand soaps with an "aquarium" theme and is the same as I used that has "fragrance" listed in ingredients (checked yesterday).  So if it has worked for Jim and others, I guess it is ok.  I still might look to get some 7th Gen. and OxiClean also.  Anybody found 7th Gen Free & Clear in local stores?? (instead of having to buy a multi pack on Amazon).

Not with in reasonable driving range, hence the DG solution. FWIW  Oxi is not really good for day to day cleaning of your bottles it will leave a film. It's great for removing hard stuck on stuff, labels, and cleaning the LBKs .

Damn you got good eyes, it just took a magnifying glass and my bifocals in conjunction to see that word.

there is actuasully a grocery store called thriftway a few blocks away from me (in nj) which is where I got my 7th generation. It was a little pricey in comparison but was exactly what I was looking for to clean my lbk

Powdered Brewery Wash, Oxygen Brewery Wash, One step what they give you in the kits.  I recommend getting something meant for cleaning brewing equipment if you want to get serious about the hobby.  That's what that pros use. 

Dude, you've been brain washed, if you got that kind of money go for it. Me, I got to find more moderate pricing or drop the hobby altogether. I stress that there is a viable difference between a hobby and a profession. 

Unscented dish soap should be easy to find at any major grocery store, Walmart, Target... I got the Palmolive at my grocery store.

You know that's what I thought. However the reality is, not all wally worlds are stocked the same. If I was willing to go to the wal-marts furthest away from me, I might have some luck (new neighborhoods, young families, and more likely to but such things). I could order it from wal mart .com but I have been using the other for over 2 years now with no issue, so why bother?  For the record I still smell nothing but soap.

I use Palmolive Oxy dish soap as it is unscented.

No reason to buy a 'special' soap just for washing your brewing equipment unless you really, really want your dishes to smell like 'lemons' or 'spring'.

• Like 1

While I agree you could use whatever you buy for the brewing equipment to wash your dishes, I found that the unscented costs more.  So, we use whatever SWMBO wants to do the dishes, and I have my own bottle for washing brewing equipment.  For cleaning one or two bottles of beer as I drink them, I don't bother getting mine since I immediately rinse and rinse so no scent remains.

• Like 1

I am an Oxiclean Free person myself.  Since I currently use two different sanitizers, I really dont want to keep both Oxi and unscented dish soap both around in my clutter brew closet.  For how much I actually use, the tub lasts forever plus I can dump it in the wash when needed.

I thought we're supposed to stay away from dish soap (leaves a film)?????  I have not found unscented hand soap anywhere.  Haven't really looked for unscented dish soap (didn't think it was what I wanted) (??).  Think I'll just get the multi-pack of 7th Gen on Amazon (not too aweful expensive - $9 for 12 oz)

doughboysigep, on 09 Feb 2015 - 4:32 PM, said:

I thought we're supposed to stay away from dish soap (leaves a film)?????  I have not found unscented hand soap anywhere.  Haven't really looked for unscented dish soap (didn't think it was what I wanted) (??).  Think I'll just get the multi-pack of 7th Gen on Amazon (not too aweful expensive - $9 for 12 oz)

scented dish soap

Hi Folks, first post here.  I've searched the forum and read a bunch of stuff, but didn't find a direct answer to my question.

I had a brain cramp while cleaning up my - I read a hundred times not to use scented dish soap, but I did.  I rinsed it several times in hot water, but is there anything else I can do to take care of any residue which might be left over? 

Thanks.  My first batch is in bottles now, good stuff!

Mr. Beer has recommended our Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash for cleaning purposes for quite some time.  As a representative of the manufacturer of Craft Meister, and a home brewer with 15 years experience myself, Oxygen Brewery Wash is a go to product for cleaning dirty fermentors and bottles.  It behaves in a similar fashion to Oxi Clean, however it has been designed from the ground up as a tool for home brewers.  Featuring both active oxygen release chemistry and alkaline detergents, it knocks out soils rapidly and effectively.  Plus it rinses clean with no resiudes or films very easily and won't leave any white chalky build up on your equipment.  Check it out!

http://www.mrbeer.com/craftmeister-oxygen-brewery-wash

• Like 1

I just finished washing 47 bottles (had to reject one, someone slipped in a screw-top).  These were bottles that had commercial beer in them prior.  For the edification of others, here are the steps I followed:

1) Filled a large Rubbermaid tub with very hot tap water (130 degrees or so).

2) Submerged all the bottles I could fit, around 30 of them.

3) 20 minutes or so later, came back and peeled off labels, then using the scruffy side of a sponge I scrubbed off the glue residue.

4) Submerged the bottles in a second Rubbermaid tub with very hot tap water to continue to soak and ensure the glue residue didn't dry.  

5) With all labels removed, I then filled a 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of very hot water and Oxiclean up to the #2 on the measuring cup.  I put in roughly 12 bottles, let them soak about 10 minutes, then using a bottle brush I scrubbed the inside, used the sponge again on the outside, and then dumped out the soapy water back into the bucket.

6) With about a dozen emptied bottles I then used my jet bottle washer and blasted them clean with very hot water, and then put them on my bottle tree.

Then I repeated step 3, 4 and 5 until all bottles were done.

Tomorrow I will do another 2 cases, then another 2.  Enough for roughly three 5 gallon batches.

Mr. Beer has recommended our Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash for cleaning purposes for quite some time.  As a representative of the manufacturer of Craft Meister, and a home brewer with 15 years experience myself, Oxygen Brewery Wash is a go to product for cleaning dirty fermentors and bottles.  It behaves in a similar fashion to Oxi Clean, however it has been designed from the ground up as a tool for home brewers.  Featuring both active oxygen release chemistry and alkaline detergents, it knocks out soils rapidly and effectively.  Plus it rinses clean with no resiudes or films very easily and won't leave any white chalky build up on your equipment.  Check it out!

http://www.mrbeer.com/craftmeister-oxygen-brewery-wash

+1 for this product. This is what we use in our personal brewery with great results. A little goes a long way.

• Like 1

Seventh Generation Dish Liquid, Free and Clear, 25 oz., $2.97 on Amazon. Does the price seem reasonable?

Seventh Generation Dish Liquid, Free and Clear, 25 oz., $2.97 on Amazon. Does the price seem reasonable?

Yup.

i am ussing a product called soft soap, unscented variety , it's made by colgate-pamolive up here in the great white north. worked great on my lbk and have my empties fillled up with a mix of soap and water. would seem very odd that we have a product up here that wasn't avaible down south first.

I use palmolive and I've never had any problems with smell or residue.  It's all about the rinse imo.

• Like 3

would seem very odd that we have a product up here that wasn't avaible down south first.

Just what the stores carry in your area. After all they will only carry what sells good in your general AO. So they might not have it here, but will have it in Atlanta or Albany. Takes 2 hours round trip to Albany(less depending on cops and trains)...Atlanta, can take infinitely longer. Long drive just for soap. I been, turns out, using a scented soap for 2 years+ now no issue. I think Vakko's right, it's all about the rinse.

• Like 1