Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DrewPsack

What to expect...?

So I was brewing my fourth batch yesterday and, just like normal, I test the spigot and everything checked out leakproof.

I go ahead and add my ingredients, and pour everything into the LBK. Leaving the LBK on the counter after I pitched the yeast, I noticed the spigot had a very slow drip.

I let it sit overnight thinking maybe it would seal itself up. It did not do so. Ticked off, knowing how I specifically checked it, I decided I could do 1 of 2 things: toss it, or reach in and tighten it.

So I washed my arm really well with Clear liquid soap and reached my hand inside and tightened her up. Checked a few hours ago....no leaks.

So the beer has been compromised, what should I expect to happen? Should I say screw it and toss it, order new ingredients, and brew a brand new batch?

never toss a beer on a 'it might be infected' chance. the beer gods will not like you.  let it ride.

remember that in the early days of beer sanitation was nonexistent and they thought it was the stirring with the magic beer stick that turned wort into beer, not yeast.

if in a day you start seeing yeast activity ie foam on top and silt on bottom, you should be ok. 

put the lbk on a cookie sheet or in something like a roast pan in case of more leaks.

Honestly, I'd say let it ride. What could have happened? Wild yeast could have entered your wort with by opening her up or something could have been on your arm after the wash. Maybe there is battle of yeasts happening, survival of the fittest. Maybe the wild yeast will win, maybe the ale yeast will prevail. As you can see there are lots of maybes/variables that could be going on.

My opinion is to let it ride 2-3 weeks, the. Take a sample before bottling. If it taste like beer, your in the clear, if it taste "off" or if you see a bacteria pellicle forming.. Toss it.

In the mean time, grab yourself another LBK and get another brew going.. As a just in case! Happy Brewing!

infections CAN happen BUT yeast are extremely tough little creatures. once they establish a foothold in your wort and fermentation kicks in, they make the wort a very deadly place for microbes and foreign yeasts, molds etc.

lol... I just got your name drew... :)  god im dim sometimes!  lolololol....

relax.. youre probably going to be ok.

Honestly, I'd say let it ride. What could have happened? Wild yeast could have entered your wort with by opening her up or something could have been on your arm after the wash. Maybe there is battle of yeasts happening, survival of the fittest. Maybe the wild yeast will win, maybe the ale yeast will prevail. As you can see there are lots of maybes/variables that could be going on.

My opinion is to let it ride 2-3 weeks, the. Take a sample before bottling. If it taste like beer, your in the clear, if it taste "off" or if you see a bacteria pellicle forming.. Toss it.

In the mean time, grab yourself another LBK and get another brew going.. As a just in case! Happy Brewing!

not all pellicles are formed because of bad bacteria. a pellicle is like a protective fingernail or skin that  the bacteria (lactobacter ie)   (or some yeast like brett c)  forms to protect the wort from oxygen I think.   some ppl actually enjoy drinking the beer under the pellicle.

having had washed I would hazard that the number or rogue yeasts left on the skin would be insignificant when you account for the 100 BILLION plus cells you can get from a yeast packet. 

Thanks guys. Letting it ride shouldnt be an issue, about a week out before my other batch is done fermenting so I'll have another to do soon enough!

Zorak- completely agree... We have. Sour beer going that is 3 months into a year fermentation. I'm assuming (afraid to pop the lid) there is a nice pellicle forming. We are thinking about adding some fruit in a couple months but who knows. Might just let this one ride as a tasty sour beer.

With that said, for the average Mr Beer homebrewer, a forming pellicle is probably bad news. Not to mention the potential bombs of a continueling fermenting brew that has been bottled after just a couple weeks. Just some food for thought. Cheers!

never did a sour myself.. just not my thing. then again I used to say that about wheat beer but now I love them.  a nice thing about plastic bottles, the worst I ever got from overcarbing a beer so far was a beer shampoo!  I drink my beer room temp usually. opened a Belgian wit that I carbed with 4 dot sugar cubes to match the style guidelines. (big btl)

the wlp400 was particularly aggressive... WHOOSH! :)

you cant quickly recap glass. . . but you can screw the top back down on plastic. 

In the future, fill it with water up to at least the 8.5 quart mark to test for leaks. The weight of the water increases the pressure. And if you have to dunk your hands, after washing, dunk them in sanitizer.

I suspect it will be OK.