Mr.Beer Community
jdkrvt

fruit beers no fruit flavor in the end.

While I agree with Rick I have to say. If your concerned about adding so much water, I only use 3/4 cup of water to mix 5oz of sugar in my 5 gallon batches. I use between 1/2 and 2/3rds cup for an LBK batch. Takes a while to get it all to dissolve, but it will.

• Like 1

FYI, this is the sort of thing you will want to try:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beer-Flavoring_c_74.html

A Mr. Beer sized LBK batch needs about ~2oz of it.

So is this flavoring added to the LBK at bottling time or during fermentation? I have read all the posts here and have gotten a bit confused, lol. I will assume that the "flavoring" that link offers is an extract?  I also have a 96oz can of peach puree. I would rather not open the can and take a chance on clouding up the beer and have no flavor. If I were to use the puree how much would I add to one LBK? I know I've probably read what needs to be done here but there were so many different ways.

So is this flavoring added to the LBK at bottling time or during fermentation?  I also have a 96oz can of peach puree. I would rather not open the can and take a chance on clouding up the beer if the flavoring thing works. If I were to use the puree how much would I add to one LBK?

I've been reading a ton on the fruit flavoring...

What I have found is that you need both real fruit and fruit extract to get a really good taste.

So what does that mean?  That means adding pasteurized fruit to your LBK after the first week of fermentation.  1.88lbs or 30 oz is around the most I've seen added.  Then you want to add around 2oz of extract at bottling.  If you're transferring to a bottling bucket, then you need to add (a specific amount) per bottle just like you add your sugar.  Otherwise, you would add your 2oz  to your bottling bucket.

I recently just did this with a Raspberry Peach Wheat beer and I have yet to taste it.  But the majority of threads of I have that have successfully done this did it this way.

What does that mean for you?  96oz is a TON for an LBK.  That's around 40% increase in volume.  I would use at the absolute very most half of that can.  Personally, I would recommend 1/3 or 32oz.

I've been reading a ton on the fruit flavoring...

What I have found is that you need both real fruit and fruit extract to get a really good taste.

So what does that mean?  That means adding pasteurized fruit to your LBK after the first week of fermentation.  1.88lbs or 30 oz is around the most I've seen added.  Then you want to add around 2oz of extract at bottling.  If you're transferring to a bottling bucket, then you need to add (a specific amount) per bottle just like you add your sugar.  Otherwise, you would add your 2oz  to your bottling bucket.

I recently just did this with a Raspberry Peach Wheat beer and I have yet to taste it.  But the majority of threads of I have that have successfully done this did it this way.

What does that mean for you?  96oz is a TON for an LBK.  That's around 40% increase in volume.  I would use at the absolute very most half of that can.  Personally, I would recommend 1/3 or 32oz.

Thank you! That's very informative. I do have pasteurized peach puree. I also have 2 batches of wheat ale. One is in the fermenter now for almost a week and the other I am brewing tomorrow. So a 96oz can gives me 3 batches potentially, I will try it with the 32oz and then add the flavoring. I bottle from the LBK so should I add the flavoring into the LBK a week before bottling? Thanks again for the reply!

If you don't want to use an eye dropper to put in precise amounts into each bottle, then yes, I would put my 2oz of extract into the LBK 1 week before bottling.

DO NOT STIR MORE THAN ONCE IF AT ALL!!!

You don't want to introduce a bunch of oxygen.  Liquids are homogeneous; a week should be plenty of time for the extract to work its way around become evenly distributed.

-pro tip-

72 hours prior to bottling, put your LBK in the fridge.  This is called cold crashing.  This will help prevent your spout from clogging up with bits of puree. I like to fold a stack of napkins or paper towels so that spout end of the LBK is raised up about 1 inch.  This will cause your trub and puree bits to settle away from your spout further preventing clogging and it also clears up your finished beer a bit, too.

Thanks Vakko, I am going to try this method with the puree and flavoring. And thanks for the tip I will be doing that also!

• Like 1

Be really careful removing your LBK from your fridge if you're going to cold crash.  You don't want to slosh your beer around and basically waste the last 72 hours.  Additionally, whatever you used to prop your LBK in the fridge you should keep using while you bottle.

Again... I just did all of these steps personally about 4 days ago.

Lots of great info (albeit somewhat confusing). I will be starting an Apple Brown Beery and Booberry Gobbler. After reading all of these posts I will add the extract about a week prior to bottling (about 1.5+ oz/LBK) and then "tinker" with adding some to some of the bottles. I have apple and blueberry extract and will likely add both to the Booberry Gobbler (apple only to Apple Brown). Maybe an oz of each? Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Lots of great info (albeit somewhat confusing). I will be starting an Apple Brown Beery and Booberry Gobbler. After reading all of these posts I will add the extract about a week prior to bottling (about 1.5+ oz/LBK) and then "tinker" with adding some to some of the bottles. I have apple and blueberry extract and will likely add both to the Booberry Gobbler (apple only to Apple Brown). Maybe an oz of each? Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Sure.  But don't add more to the bottles.  If anything, add some to the glass when served.

Ok, so I have been reading through this lengthy thread and have a question that I don't see as covered.  My next brew that I am aiming to make is the "Shiver Me Timbers" blackberry porter.  I plan to start fermenting on saturday.  I will add the blackberries after 1 week as stated, and then add a bit of extract another week later to bump up the fruit flavors.  My question, I am toying with the idea of trying to add chocolate to the flavor as well (mimicking the Chocolate covered cherry recipe).  I was planning to use Dark Chocolate Nibs from Trader Joe's, but am not sure when I should put them into the wort?  Would I add this when I start the brewing process, and if so when it's said and done, would I even still get any flavor from the chocolate with the berries and extract in there as well?  I have also seen some chocolate extract as well, so could I add that (in place of the nibs) at the same time I add the Blackberry Extract?  If that would be a better idea, would I add 2 ounces of each, or split the difference and do 1 of each so that I still only add 2 ounces total?

Any help is appreciated.  

Just use the nibs. Use 2-4 ounces per 2 gallon batch depending on how strong you want the chocolate flavor to be (roasted nibs are better than raw). Add it to your water and boil for 5 minutes before adding your malt. Transfer the wort (nibs included) to the fermenter and ferment for 3 weeks.

I am quite happy with how my Apple Beery and BooBerry Gobbler came out.  There is just enough fruit flavor to give it a taste (aroma is great too).  If anything I could add a drop to my glass.  And cold crashing worked awesome - one+ extra bottle per batch and little to no "mother"/trub in the bottles.  I will be doing it from now on.

• Like 2