Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mcasselman

star san reuse

Using star san for the 1st time this weekend. Have heard it can be used for up to a month after mixing. Looking for opinions on this and the best way to store it.

It can be kept for a very long time. Some people test with PH strips, others toss if after a certain point. There is no specific time limit. Store in a bucket with a lid, or anything similar.

depends on how much you make. I just use a gallon water jug, and get a sprayer to help sanitize on the fly.

When using a sprayer, simply wet the surface and let it dry? How long / many times do you guys usually use a batch?

I use btf iodophor sanitizer that I purchased from MB last year.  But I let it dry.

I thought I read somewhere when mixed properly, it can be kept and reused for up to a month and you can tell by a cloudy appearance it is still good.

Spray bottle will make life easy. It can stay in there indefinitely. I usually mix up 1-2 gallons at a time and save for a month or two.

I make a gallon batch when I start a recipe, store it in a gallon jug while the beer is fermenting for 3 weeks, then use it to sanitize everything at bottling.  Dump it after I'm done since I don't brew for a couple of months after that.  I usually do at least 2 batches at the same time since my ice chest will hold two LBK's.  Sometimes I will do 3 if I'm also making cider.

I brew weekly and a gallon of star san lasts me 2 weeks, then there's just not enough left.  That means I bottle 2 batches, and I brew 2 batches with each gallon. You get your money's worth out of this stuff. I bought a 16 oz bottle Feb. '13 and still got half of it left

ive found that stored in a bucket it starts oxidizing or something and turning milky white after awhile. i usually reuse it a few times and either give it a shot of more star san or just dump and make more.  in a spray bottle it seems to keep indefinitely.  i think i read that as long as the ph stays around 3 it is still good.. cloudy or not.

The only way to know if it is still good is PH strips. A mixed up gallon is like $.10. Toss it after a month or a few uses whichever comes sooner. Way too much thought here for ten cents.

• Like 1

but rick...overcomplicating things is how I roll!  I believe in the 'work harder not smarter' motto!   I must have been Rube Goldberg in a previous life.

John Palmer's FREE version of How to Brew (several editions old) discusses Starsan and other sanitizers.  It also answers many other questions that new brewers have.  It is short, and FREE.  

I pretty much use mine until it is gone and have yet to have a problem, but probably depends on how clean your stuff was to begin with.  Mostly I use the spray bottle and do not reuse any of that since it is so little.  So, about the only time I use bulk is when cleaning the LBK and kegs which are generally spotless by the time I use it.  For bottling I use OneStep since it is not caustic and easier on my hands when sanitizing 50-100 bottles.  But as Rick said, it is pretty cheap in the scheme of things, but then again so am I so tend to push the limits.

I pretty much use mine until it is gone and have yet to have a problem, but probably depends on how clean your stuff was to begin with. Mostly I use the spray bottle and do not reuse any of that since it is so little. So, about the only time I use bulk is when cleaning the LBK and kegs which are generally spotless by the time I use it. For bottling I use OneStep since it is not caustic and easier on my hands when sanitizing 50-100 bottles. But as Rick said, it is pretty cheap in the scheme of things, but then again so am I so tend to push the limits.

What is your procedure to do that many bottles at once with one step? Do you soak them in bucket or tote. The 10 min exposure is what I am trying to get away from.

I just put 12 bottles in the sink(all it'll hold at once) then using a funnel I fill the first bottle with start san move the funnel to the next bottle then invert the first bottle several times and insure everything gets covered by star san then pour it into the next bottle and repeat. I place the sanitized bottle in my dishwasher to dry...I just use the rack I don't turn it on. I do 52 bottles every week

Star San is good stuff, I use a lot of it. It can be reused and does store for a good amount of time. Beware the first time you use it, there is a lot of foam and the saying goes "don't fear the foam". I always use star san in my fermenters and everything that comes in contact with brewing but I kinda like using one-step better in my bottles because of the foam issue. Star san is a better deal money wise in the long run also.

post-53480-0-34867000-1423267007_thumb.j

berryman, on 06 Feb 2015 - 6:57 PM, said:

Star San is good stuff, I use a lot of it. It can be reused and does store for a good amount of time. Beware the first time you use it, there is a lot of foam and the saying goes "don't fear the foam". I always use star san in my fermenters and everything that comes in contact with brewing but I kinda like using one-step better in my bottles because of the foam issue. Star san is a better deal money wise in the long run also.

attachicon.gifBlonde today.jpg

FWIW I have found if I let my bottles stay on the rack till they're bone, stone dry. No foam when bottling.

I bottled 3 batches today, 2 were cold crashed and 1 was room temp from it's D-Rest. The room temp one had much more foam than the cold crashed beers. Just an observation. Appears cold beer reacts less than room temp.