Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mcasselman

dividing yeast for 5 gallon batches

Have read others split 5 gallon batches between 2 LBK's. What is the best way to split the single pack of yeast between the 2 LBK's? Looking at buying a scale for this.

By eye. You're not going to split 11 grams easily, and whether it is 5 or 6 is irrelevant. I pour it on 1/2 of a coffee filter.

I would buy another pack of yeast so you don't underpitch on accident. My two cents.

There is no need when brewing 2.5 gallons of beer to pitch any more than 1/2 an 11gram pack  of dry yeast.  It won't hurt anything, but your wallet, to pitch a whole pack, but it's totally unnecessary.  I do all my 5 gallon batches by splitting the pack.

Weigh how much is in the Mr. Beer pack, and then weigh the old Mr. Beer packets.

Weigh how much is in the Mr. Beer pack, and then weigh the old Mr. Beer packets.

Was looking at a scale that reads in .1grm increments for $12 on amazon. Cheap enough and will do the trick for priming sugar also.

If rehydrating the yeast, I agree. If not, you risk under pitching. Roughly half the yeast will die when pitched if not rehydrated. For the best results, a yeast calculator is recommended. The OG will also impact the need for additional yeast. Brewers friend.com is my preferred calc. When in doubt, I say spend three bucks for extra yeast.

The guy at the homebrew store suggested that I try two different kinds of yeast to see what I would like best. He suggested I try the safale us-05 and the safale s-04 because I was dividing between two LBKs. Just something to think about.

Depends what you are brewing. S-04 is an English Ale yeast. S-05 is for American Ales.

I find the only accurate way to divide the yeast packet between two vessels is to use a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass to count each and every granule, then put half of them in each fermenter. If there happens to be an odd number of granules, it's best to throw away the extra one rather than risking uneven results. Anything less would be barbaric.

• Like 4

Tried that method Joe, but always seem to end up with an odd number. Just can't bring myself to throw the poor little guy out. And heaven forbid I can't cut the poor little guy in half, his screams would plauge my dreams forever! So I wrap him all up and save him to join the next family of yeasties. Just sayin.

I've always just used the eyeball test to divide. I figure even if I'm off a little, it's still twice as much yeast as we used to use with MBeer.

• Like 1

Eyeball is fine.  If you are only brewing one LBK I would throw the whole pack in however as not worth it getting contaminated while storing in my opinion.  And yes, a great thing about LBKs is you can make a 5 gallon batch, use two different yeasts, and try them at the same age to see the differences between them.  Its a huge learning experience.

There is no need when brewing 2.5 gallons of beer to pitch any more than 1/2 an 11gram pack  of dry yeast.

Rick is right, BUT for a few dollars more it's good to pitch 11 g's in a LBK. When splitting a 5 gal. recipe that is the perfect time to learn and compare yeast varieties. Do you need to? No. Will it hurt anything by using two? No, just a few more $'s out of your piggybank. We use to always recommend here on this forum to use at least 2 fromunda pacs (under the lid as supplied). But I'm not familiar with what comes with MB under the lid anymore.

Edit: MB supplies a 11g pac with their seasonals for the 2.13 LBK

The guy at the homebrew store suggested that I try two different kinds of yeast to see what I would like best. He suggested I try the safale us-05 and the safale s-04 because I was dividing between two LBKs. Just something to think about.

05 is a cleaner yeast and will bring out the hop flavors a little more and 04 will bring the malt out a little more, both are good. I use 05 more often and ferment it on the low side for a more crisper ale. But it depends on what I'm brewing.
  • Like 1

I agree with pitching two different yeast varieties. You will learn a lot, and may discover a new favorite yeast.

I personally like to use liquid yeast because there is so much variety. Us05 and s04 are great. I always keep them on hand in case of emergency.

• Like 1

05 is a cleaner yeast and will bring out the hop flavors a little more and 04 will bring the malt out a little more, both are good. I use 05 more often and ferment it on the low side for a more crisper ale. But it depends on what I'm brewing.

Thank you for the info on the yeasts. Now I'll know what to look for between the two. Just have to wait about 6 weeks for a taest test.