Mr.Beer Community
BigSteve

How long is too long in the bottle?

Once you've bottled your beer, what kind of shelf life will it have before it goes bad?  And is there a point where aging doesn't make a difference any longer?

At least 18 months.

Depends on the ABV, what you added, etc. Wheats are best young. Stouts take longer.

Roughly 3 months is a good guess for most.

• Like 1

Depends on the type of brew. an IPA won't age as well as a Doppelbock as far as the hop taste is concerned.

There was a story in a magazine a while back about an archeologist who found a bottle of beer in an egyptian tomb which he estimated to be over 3,000 years old. He actually drank it. He died about an hour later, when he was struck by a dune buggy.

• Like 7

scene: ancient egypt.. carver engraving pyramid with symbols showing a harvest,  brewers making beer, beer being drunk, happy passed out egyptians, ox cart running over drunk egyptians, symbol for death.  it was carved as a public service announcement that you shouldnt get drunk and lie in the ox cart lanes on the street.

ages later... mistranslated as ancient egyptian curse 'let he who drinks the beer of the pharoah be struck by the buggy of dunes and die horribly!'

• Like 1

We have beers that are over a year old and they taste great! Havnt died so far. We actually have one Mr Beer American light from our first batch a little over a year ago. Not sure why we are hanging on to it.. Maybe sentimental reasons!?

I am new, but have read hoppy flavor lessen with time. So if you like that big hoppy flavor, younger is better.

I read somewhere that the there's a big difference in time between glass vs plastic bottles.  Because plastic will allow gas exchange aka permeation over time.

You'll also read where that's not true.  My 18 month old bottle was in plastic.

I read somewhere that the there's a big difference in time between glass vs plastic bottles.  Because plastic will allow gas exchange aka permeation over time.

This is true, but it would take at least a couple of years.

IDK for how long a home made beer will keep whether in glass or plastic because they are usually consumed well before a year for me. But I have found beers that got misplaced well over a year and they were damm good. All you new brewers out there, once you get a good pipeline going and find a couple bottles you lost tract of after a long time, you will be a very happy person when you pop them open.

I had a blueberry hefeweizen i found in the back of the beer closet.  It was 2 years old, and had aged to taste similar to a sour beer.  Not what I was expecting, but it was great!  if you want to get really fancy, bottle condition with some brett and let it sit for 5 years.  :)

• Like 2

if you want to get really fancy, bottle condition with some brett and let it sit for 5 years.   :)

I'm currently doing this with an apple cider. :)

I'm currently doing this with an apple cider. :)

I don't know how you guys do it!!!

Yesterday, I bottled 32L and I'm salivating to drink it all.  The fact that I will have to wait at least 4 weeks (there's a high ABV one in there as well), is blowing my mind.

Even worse, today is Brew Day, I will be setting up 4 LBKs to ferment tonight.  That beer will go into bottles BEFORE the 32L I bottled last night will be ready.

FML

Side note:  Black scotch tape and paint pens allow you come up with some really cool, custom beer labels.

I don't know how you guys do it!!!

By having a whole bunch of batches brewing or already brewed or about to be brewed. Keeping busy will keep your pantry stocked, your fridge stocked, or wherever else you can fit some beer bottles or kegs. :ph34r:

To be honest, it rarely even crosses my mind now.  If I stay on top of replenishing what I like (it triggers at 18 bottles), and keep brewing, the pipeline takes care of me and I don't even think about things pending, since they aren't ready yet.

I use Google calendars, when  I brew it I put a tickler to check FG and cold crash 18 days out, then once I bottle I put a tickler for 4 weeks, 6, 8, 10, and 12.  Takes maybe 5 minutes, and then I know.

I print on the label those time periods also, so when I pick up a bottle I know it's age, and I write on it the date I refrigerate it.

I also keep my inventory in Excel, and I have a list of what's in the frig on a erasable clipboard that I update each beer I pour, so I know what's in the frig.  Every Wednesday I have a tickler to replenish the frig for the weekend, I keep 6 twelve ounces of every brew plus some one liters if I still have any.  When I replenish the frig, that also gives me a visual reminder of what inventory is getting "low" if I didn't catch it on the spreadsheet.  Right now SWMBO's Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout has "REBREW" flagged as does my Best Brown, but that was brewed and is ready 2/25, and I have 6 bottles remaining plus plenty of my Moosedrool clone (40 bottles) ready as backup.  

When it's time to buy ingredients, I look at my list and see what's getting low as well as my list of what I want to brew soon.  Right now I plan on replenishing my Oatmeal Stout (part of which will have peanut butter flavoring for SWMBO) as my next batch, followed by a batch of Blue Moon clone and some wheat fruit beers to be made in March to be ready for end of April grad school graduation for my youngest.  So that takes me from a brewing standpoint through March, and beers that will be ready by end of April.  

That's how i do it  ;)

03_turkmen-pipeline.jpeg

A pipeline is your friend!  That is until you start bringing real, physical friends over in which case your friends arent necessarily your pipeline's friend....

• Like 3