Mr.Beer Community
DrewPsack

Belgian Blanc

Has anyone out there tried this recipe? I just received in the mail today, I can't wait to brew it. I'm hoping it's similar to Blue Moon.

IMO - One of the best recipes I've made since Coopers took over MrB.  Made it twice, once with the orange as the recipe states, the other will lemon instead.

Both were mightly tasty.  Heads and shoulders above Blue Moon.

• Like 1

No. From the directions:

2. Using the sanitized measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot. Bring water to a boil, add in the orange zest and coriander, then remove from heat.

This releases the oils into the water like tea.  It should eventually fall to the bottom of your fermenter into the trub.

Besides, zest and grindings are generally to fine to be held inside a muslin bag effectively.  You could use a non-metallic, fillable tea bag, though.

Holy sh*t!! I've been drinking this delicious beer during my past 2 days off...what a brew! I'm so happy that a beer I made finally came out so tasty!

I did add a packet of DME, hopped it during boil, and added orange peels 1 week into fermentation. Unlike the others, I very much taste the orange & coriander!

It pours very malty, and has that wheat beer cloudy look. A nice high ABV to boot, I might add!

Cannot wait to brew more!

Thanks Mr. Beer :D

• Like 1

I have this one on deck.  Glad to here yours went well.  Makes me feel better about my choice.

I have another week in the the LBK for a variation on this.  Bavarian Weissbier with a LME-golden, coriander, orange zest, and the WB-06.  I am really hoping it turns out well.  

when did you bottle DrewPsack?  

Yes it is a good recipe.

I also make it with booster and without the pale and hop for a lighter refreshment.

I do put the coriander and peel in a bag loosely when I make these - I hate stuff clogging the spigot.

Probably time to make another batch for summer.   Oh..... so many recipe choices...

I have another week in the the LBK for a variation on this.  Bavarian Weissbier with a LME-golden, coriander, orange zest, and the WB-06.  I am really hoping it turns out well.  

when did you bottle DrewPsack?  

I fermented for 3 weeks, bottled for a little over 4 weeks(30 days), and refrigerated what I was going to drink for 3 days.

• Like 2

I'm at 18 days now.  Did you cold crash this?  I think I read somewhere on here that with Wheats, it wasn't as typical to do.  sometimes preferable to leave some of the cloudiness in the brew....

Holy sh*t!! I've been drinking this delicious beer during my past 2 days off...what a brew! I'm so happy that a beer I made finally came out so tasty!

I did add a packet of DME, hopped it during boil, and added orange peels 1 week into fermentation. Unlike the others, I very much taste the orange & coriander!

It pours very malty, and has that wheat beer cloudy look. A nice high ABV to boot, I might add!

Cannot wait to brew more!

Thanks Mr. Beer :D

What kind of DME did you use, I've got an extra pound of Pilsen light laying around.

What kind of DME did you use, I've got an extra pound of Pilsen light laying around.

throw it in there...for science :) 

• Like 2

throw it in there...for science :) 

Mix it in separate water first!!!

Otherwise you'll have a clumpy mess on your hands.

Mix it in separate water first!!!

Otherwise you'll have a clumpy mess on your hands.

the clumps dissolve in a few min of stirring

• Like 1

When brewing the Blanc, would it change the taste by adding an additional pack of LME (pale) to increase the ABV slightly? Or, what would y'all recommend to increase ABV without changing the taste?

Using QBrew you can see the impact of making changes like you suggest.

But let's see if we can figure it out without it. Bavarian Weissbier base looks like this:

Flavor: Wheaty

ABV (alc/vol): 3.7%

SRM (Color): 3

IBU (Bitterness): 19

Belgian Blanc, with 1 packet of pale already, looks like this:

Flavor: Balanced

ABV (alc/vol): 4.2%

SRM (Color): 4

IBU (Bitterness): 19

Adding another packet will therefore make it more malty, even less wheaty, darker, and it will taste sweeter, and have an abv around 5%.

Yes it will change the taste. Chase flavor, not ABV.

• Like 2

Or, what would y'all recommend to increase ABV without changing the taste?

Not possible with a HME. You could add some hops.  Do both a flavor and an aroma boil, but it will still taste different. The first thing to do is find out from MrB what the base is (i.e. a Belgian Blonde) using Qbrew make sure all your changes stays within the guidelines for that style.  It's not so much about not changing the brew, as it is staying within the guidelines for the style.

• Like 1

So, this is my second brew. I will reach 2-weeks fermentation tomorrow, is 14-days long enough for this brew?

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:54 PM, dhud64 said:

So, this is my second brew. I will reach 2-weeks fermentation tomorrow, is 14-days long enough for this brew?

Do yourself a HUGE favor and read the links in Rick Beer's signature. Read all of them. I did, and I'm glad. There is a ton of information there that you would otherwise have to find by sifting through posts and doing searches. I was in the same boat, the instructions on my can said to ferment 1 week. After reading I waited 3, and it was well worth it. It's tough when the beer is just setting there waiting, but I am reminded of Kung Fu. "Patience, Grasshopper!"

• Like 2

There is a lot of good info in those links!

I hit three weeks today, and just got done bottling. Now conditioning for 4-weeks.

Going to get a hydrometer, and do some more research before starting my Voodoo beer!