Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PunkyBrewer

fast turnaround IPA

I brewed an IPA extract kit,it spent three weeks in the fermenter,one week cold crashing and only one week in the bottle and it taste fantastic!!! The only thing I did different was pitched at a cooler temp than normal and cold crashed for a week.It usually takes four to six weeks of bottle conditioning to get it right,but after one week its fully carbonated and taste great with no detectable off flavors!

Nice job. IPAs are best young in my opinion. Sounds like you pitched an adequate amount of yeast into well aerated wort at the proper temp. Always a great Recipie for a quick turnaround...

IPAs tend to be a bit more forgiving in the brewing process department. The increase in hop bitterness/flavor will tend to mask slight imperfections from fermenting to hot, under pitching, unbalanced recipe, "green" flavors, etc.

Only a week in the bottle and fully carbonated sounds like a potential problem.. Meaning ok to drink know but in 3-4 weeks will be over carbonated. Just currious what your priming method/calculation was and was it a Mr Beer Ipa recipe or one you put together yourself?

Sounds like you got yourself a nice beer to drink! Always fun when you crack open a Homebrew and taste great. Cheers!

• Like 2

Put another bottle in the fridge to chill if this one is as good tasting and well carbonated as the first, I will put them all in the fridge to stop the yeast from over carbonating the beer.

Would the same thing work for an IPL?  I made the Turncoat IPL recipe.  Generally, I have done 3 ferm, 2 carb, 2 lager... If I skip the lager stage, would it be good?

I was reading up IPAs on Wikipedia. I was surprised at the traditional low ABV. Less than 5%. I guess in the UK folks consumed a lot more volume of beer, so no need for beer with high ABV. I can remember for example media articles citing industrial workers and miners drinking up to 13 pints in a session (5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. pub opening time session, and 20 oz pints.) I found 3 pints was enough for me usually and I have no idea how they did it, especially considering bathroom time cutting down on drinking time - lol.

I did visit a Burton brewery while at college and the beer they gave us as samples was much stronger than the normal pub fare.