Mr.Beer Community
nelgin

Not the Stoic

Has anyone had a beer called Not the Stoic? I really like it, and it's unusual because its aged in whiskey and wine casks. I'd love to find some sort of combination of Mr Beer ingredients to try and recreate this beer. There's some information from Ratebeer.com - any suggestions appreciated and I'll give some feedback once it's brewed.

Malt: Pilsner, Special B, Crystal Rye
Hops: Czech Saaz
Other: Pomegranate Molasses
Barrel-Aging: 11 months in 15% Pinot Noir and 15% Rye Whiskey Barrels

2 cans Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner (a good pilsner base)
1 Can Oktoberfest (this will add color and complexity)
1 pack LME - Smooth (body, color, extra ABV)
1 packet (1/2 oz) of Saaz (add at end of boil)
1/2 cup molasses (add at end of boil)
2 cups pomegranate juice (you could probably add more if you wish, but this should be a sufficient amount)
1/2 oz Bourbon soaked chips (preferably rye whiskey)
1/2 oz Pinot Noir soaked chips
1 Safbrew T-58 yeast

Steam 1 oz of oak chips for 10 mins, then cover half with whiskey, and the other half with Pinot Noir wine. Leave to soak for about a week before adding to the batch. After a few weeks of fermentation, I would recommend racking the beer into an airlocked 2 gallon container (you may have to split it between two 1 gallon glass jugs) with very little headspace, and with the wood chips within. Then let it sit for about a month. You will also have to repitch some yeast at bottling.

This is a pretty big beer at 12%+ ABV so be sure you ferment it at the lower temperature range (65-70F) and keep your fermenter on a baking sheet or something just in case it foams over. This recipe is a rough outline for what I think might be the closest thing to the "Not the Stoic" . Without knowing the SRMs, the color is just a guess. This is a pretty complicated beer for beginners so, unless you have some experience with brewing, you might want to leave this one alone for awhile. Otherwise, go for it.  

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the recipe. It's been a while since I did some brewing, things dropped off the map not long after my post. I've got a hankering to start up again. This will have to wait until the winter since I don't have anywhere at a stable 65-70F with the Texas heat. I'll maybe tap you for some clarifications when I get the stuff together to give it a go.

Thanks,

Nigel

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nelgin said:

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the recipe. It's been a while since I did some brewing, things dropped off the map not long after my post. I've got a hankering to start up again. This will have to wait until the winter since I don't have anywhere at a stable 65-70F with the Texas heat. I'll maybe tap you for some clarifications when I get the stuff together to give it a go.

Thanks,

Nigel

Josh will reply to you in 4.5 years.  😜:P😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, Shrike said:

Josh will reply to you in 4.5 years.  😜:P😆

Hey, I'm still paying attention even though I don't post as much. ;)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JoshR said:

Hey, I'm still paying attention even though I don't post as much. ;)

I was joking that he was asking a question to a four-and-a-half year old post.  :)

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, Shrike said:

I was joking that he was asking a question to a four-and-a-half year old post.  :)

Where was my question?

9 hours ago, nelgin said:

Where was my question?

---looks up, re-reads---

Oops, not a question,  just a response.