Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gmunny67

WINNER of last night's tasting

In an effort to create an original, unique beer, I combined the following and came up with Todd's Anti-Anxiety Elixir. Of the 4 brews that were featured, this was the hands down winner.

1 American Ale HME

1 Weissbeer HME

1 Smooth LME

1 Pale HME 

.5 ozs each of Centennial and Columbus, boiled in the LMEs for 10 minutes 

1 oz Cascade at flameout 

Both HMEs combined into LME mixture, cooled to 68 degrees F. OG--1094...yeah, that's up there

Day 6 and 7 grav of 1032--Oh SO NICE. ABV--8.12%

After 10 days in the bottle, this brew had great color, richness, and head retention. Tasters said it had the kick of an IPA when initially sipped, but moothed out nicely with a great mouthfeel and finish. To quote them, "A Home run!"

After all 4 brews had been scored, I turned the tasters loose on the remaining beverages. Which do you think I must re- brew? Give it a try. It's almost a certainty you won't be disappointed!

I did the math - are you implying that you bottled this at an FG of 1.032?  That's quite high.  I would have expected it to be at least 1.023 or lower.  

For an 8.12% ABV, 10 days of carb and conditioning is really short.  When you get to maybe 8 weeks I'll be it tastes a whole lot better.

Keep in mind - two HMEs plus two LMEs = one expensive brew.

• Like 1

Wowza, that's quit a recipe. Currious what type/how much yeast did you use? To be honest, if it only fermented for 6-7 days, there is NO way it was finished. You surely might have some booze but a beer that high needs some time to finish up in the fermenter. We have a Barley Wine that is 13% and only 1 month into a 6 month secondary fermentation. Even then we will taste it and see if it needs longer. This of course is just my opinion along with Rick, and well most likely everyone else. If it taste good to you and isn't going to cause bottle bombs, cheers to you and happy brewing!

I'm surprised, 10 days in the bottle. I'd have bet on a couple bottle bombs. Assuming he bottled at .032

Nope. No bottle bombs. Final grav checked out 2 days in a row. The beer was AWESOME! There were none left to allow conditioning longer...went like hotcakes! Yes, it's a bit pricey, but so are a lot of the craft beers on the shelf. Don't know exactly when I'll make another batch, but it's definitely worth the price. Try it! Maybe you can tweak it...but as is, it's friggin delicious! I swear on my LBK's!

Well, just to put it out there.  Had you fermented it longer and bottle conditioned it longer it would have been much better.

Agree with the others - I would let it ferment MUCH longer, and then condition 2 months or more. Are you sure you read the hydrometer correctly? Were bubbles clinging to the glass?