Mr.Beer Community

My first attempt at brewing and my carbonation time is up today. All of my bottles but 3 are rock hard. Should I put these rock hard ones in the fridge now and leave the soft ones for another few days or a week until they are rock hard. Or should the soft ones be considered a casualty of war?

I had the same problem just now. It seem after reading many posts about it here, probably did not add drops or sugar to those. I know I missed adding it to my one soft bottle. It seems the consensus is to add the drops or sugar to them now. 

At least that is what I am going to try. 

• Like 2

I double checked the drops. If you have to leave for four weeks why does it say 14 to 21 in the instructions?

The instructions recommend the absolute minimum times for each stage of the brewing process. The concensus among the experienced brewers here on the forum is 3 weeks in the fermentor and 4 weeks cinditioning in the bottles.

Though following the directions in the book will produce drinkable beer. Using the 3-4 rule will produce a better beer.

• Like 1

Carbonation has been going on for 16 days at 70 to 71  I did fermentation for 14 days same temperature just like it said in the instructions. 

I think the rate of carbonation will vary a bit depending on how much yeast got bottled in each bottle, especially when bottling right out of the fermenter. For those that use a secondary fermentation vessel, maybe more yeast will settle and the bottled carbonation will be more uniform. I don't so I have no evidence.

• Like 1

Only put the amount of bottles in the fridge for 3 days that you will drink. Let the others continue to condition at room temp, most beer will get better with age.

• Like 1