Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Bottling Wand Leaks - Scratched 8Lx

I bottled my first batch today and the bottling wand leaked like crazy! It wasn't a few drips after each bottle, but a constant drip drip drip. I ended up flipping the spigot up after each bottle.

My wand consists of 3 pieces: a clear tube that inserts into the spigot, a blue tip that goes around the tube, and a small blue piece with a black rubber seal that rests inside the tip. Am I missing anything? I've read about a spring-loaded wand, but wasn't sure if the Mr. Beer wands had a spring? Or is the dripping normal?

Thanks.

And the hits just keep on coming: I just washed out my 8Lx with Craftmeister Brewery Wash, following the mixing instructions on the container, and it looks like the bottom of the fermenter got scratched to hell. I used a cotton wash cloth. No sponges, scrubbers...

So, am I supposed to throw out the 8Lx, being that it's plastic, or am I okay?

You know what? I haven't a clue what a bottling wand is, what it's advantages are or how it works. Nor do I care to know. I simply place my LBK with the nozzle hanging over the edge of the counter and put my bottles directly up to the nozzle for bottling. Nothing fancy or me.

well in the long run you'll get more consistent bottling levels with a wand, but it is by no means a requirement.

The wand for the LX Brewers is different than the one for the LBK's. mine didn't have a spring either, so I called MB and asked for a spring. Promptly got another wand without a spring. It leaks just like the first one. Turns out the piece of hose that that connects the wand for the LBK to the outside of the spigot fits the INSIDE of the LX spigot

And the hits just keep on coming: I just washed out my 8Lx with Craftmeister Brewery Wash, following the mixing instructions on the container, and it looks like the bottom of the fermenter got scratched to hell. I used a cotton wash cloth. No sponges, scrubbers...

So, am I supposed to throw out the 8Lx, being that it's plastic, or am I okay?

How do it get scratched? You pour in water, wort, more water. You aerate the beer without hitting the bottom or sides of the fermenter - I use a silicone whisk. You bottle, then each using a soft cloth.

Scratches, if not just scuffs, may eventually hold stuff that will cause infections.

Cannot answer wand, I have two, both have a spring. One came from Mr. Beer, one did not.

How do it get scratched? You pour in water, wort, more water. You aerate the beer without hitting the bottom or sides of the fermenter - I use a silicone whisk. You bottle, then each using a soft cloth.

Scratches, if not just scuffs, may eventually hold stuff that will cause infections.

Cannot answer wand, I have two, both have a spring. One came from Mr. Beer, one did not.

Rick - The scratches occured after I added the Brewery Wash; I rinsed out the trub and added the Brewery Wash, stirring with the same silicone whisk I used when aerating.

I've never used Brewery Wash.  Says on their site it's safe for plastic, I have no idea.  

Regarding the scratches, only thing I can think of (although I have never used that product) is it was not fully dissolved and the particles may have scuffed things up, but in no way should it have been scratches.  Honestly, since I have never had any infections, I have not even looked at mine to check for scratches.

Regarding the bottling wand, I use the one I have from MrB with the spring.  Have two others with no springs that sit in the brew closet and keep each other company due to the drips.  Not sure why everyone doesnt use the spring design as for a few cents more makes the product that much better.  I also consider the wand indispensable as allows for faster bottling, helps dissolve the sugar, leaves just the right amount of headspace, and is much easier for one handed operation (the old MrB used a push-type spigot which was okay for using one hand, but the twist one when turning on and off tends to shake the keg around and stir up trub at least for me).

The question is: what is the point of selling and adding to a more expensive kit a bottling wand that simply does not work. I tried to use the 8LX to bottle my batch and it was a disaster. First I  assumed it was my fault and that I did something wrong, until I found this post. It seems that it is a sub-par product.

We're currently looking into the bottling wand issue. I'll try to make it a priority so we can resolve it promptly.