Mr.Beer Community
Michael Astfalk

PET or Glass Bottles + lagering for Winter Dark Ale, Deluxe?

My second batch, the Winter Dark Ale, is about ready to bottle. I had some questions on this though -

A. How long to "lager" this beer? Some of the Winter Dark Ale recipes say to give it a few months of lagering/conditioning - but I didn't see anything on the recipe directions that came with it.

B. Regardless, if a beer will be kept longer in the bottles, either for conditioning or just over time, which is better to use - the PET bottles or glass bottles? I can do either, I have both. I was reading in a brewing book that PET is not good for keeping beer for long durations.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Michael

This just came up recently, and it was decided that for all practical purposes, there's no 'significant' difference in aging between glass and plastic bottles. I've personally gone over a year in both types and both worked fine.

• Like 1

A.   4 weeks.  Winter Dark, by itself, requires no extra time.  It will get better in 6 to 8, but 4 is enough.

B.  Answered many times recently.  Unless you're going for 2+ years, irrelevant.

Winter Dark is an active fermentation.  Put it on a cookie sheet or in a tub or cooler, it will likely get messy.

• Like 2

I made the spiced Christmas ale with it last August. It was fine  in December but takes a while if spiced for spices to round off.  I have kept for up to a year in PET and tastes good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

I missed finding that topic because I was searching for PET. I'm also not not he forum regularly. Sorry for the repitition.

Rick, when you say Winter Dark is going to get messy, at which point do you mean? I'm towards the end of my fermentation - has been almost 21 days - and the LBK has been in a cooler the entire time. Regulated the active fermentation down until I leveled off at 68 degrees. Then I left it alone, checking once a week.

I haven't seen any mess in the cooler? Do you mean it will get messy bottling the beer or conditioning it?

Michael

It would've already happened. Sometimes you get a very vigorous fermentation and foam comes out. Usually happens to me in the first 4 or 5 days, or not at all(knock wood) 

• Like 1

A.   4 weeks.  Winter Dark, by itself, requires no extra time.  It will get better in 6 to 8, but 4 is enough.

B.  Answered many times recently.  Unless you're going for 2+ years, irrelevant.

Winter Dark is an active fermentation.  Put it on a cookie sheet or in a tub or cooler, it will likely get messy.

Yes, it's a big one. Ferment it at the lower end of the temp scale (65-68) and it won't foam over as much. But be sure to give it at least 3 weeks to ferment before bottling.

Yes, it's a big one. Ferment it at the lower end of the temp scale (65-68) and it won't foam over as much. But be sure to give it at least 3 weeks to ferment before bottling.

So Josh, what's different about the Winter Dark that makes it foam over?

It's a higher gravity than most of the other HMEs we sell and it has a good amount of hops, which promotes krausen. And when done as a "Deluxe" recipe, it gets up to 7% or more. Any added hops will only make it foamier. Like Rick said, by itself, it's most likely fine, but it is a healthy fermenter. And the foaming will really happen during the first few days. But I've made the deluxe version a couple of times already and it foamed over at 70 degrees. Not a lot, but enough to cause a small mess.