Mr.Beer Community
HoppySmile!

cherry fermented irish stout aged in whiskey barrel

is this possible? thought about doing this and add 4 oz of irish whiskey in the 5L barrel and let it age for 6 months or so, if it is possible, maybe using a different refill?

Sure it's possible, just using a barrel as a secondary and adding cherries. It's just a marketing ploy the cherry flavor will blow off during the secondary fermentation. You'll also need to add extract when bottling. I have no idea what adding 4 oz of whiskey will do

LME extract? maybe like a robust? boulevard has a spring release of a cherry fermented ale aged in bourbon barrels, it's probably 15% ABV, but oh so good

I'm not sure I understand you can add an lme or dme the flavor is kind of up to what your shooting for

well I would love to copy cat the boulevard, but that's a little advance for me right now! lol! just wanted to see if its possible, thanks for your advice!

there are ways to get barrel age taste w/o the barrel just add whisky soaked chips to the lbk after 1 week

• Like 2

there are ways to get barrel age taste w/o the barrel just add whisky soaked chips to the lbk after 1 week

If this is an early brew in your career, this is what I would recommend.  You could soak the oak chips in whiskey if you wanted that flavor to come through.  It won't be exact, but would give the impression of aged in whiskey barrels...

just ordered some charred oak chips, gonna give it a try when I get everything together. but was wondering if irish stout would be suitable for the HME? that's the only one I could think would work w/o having to mix HME's

I would definitely recommend a stout or porter with the oak chips.  That would be a better base to allow for the complexity of the chips without being overpowering.  You may want some robust LME in there too.

soak the chips for about a week

In a zip lock or vacuum-sealed bag.

You're basically marinating the chips like you would a steak.

Additionally, you're trying to emulate something that takes a really long time to do over multiple steps.  Generally, the barrels have been used many times over the years and they fire blast those barrels before they're used.

In a zip lock or vacuum-sealed bag.

You're basically marinating the chips like you would a steak.

Additionally, you're trying to emulate something that takes a really long time to do over multiple steps.  Generally, the barrels have been used many times over the years and they fire blast those barrels before they're used.

I agree, but he did order charred oak. I thought that was a nice touch

ok, been browsing the recipes and there's a Staggerback Stout I think ill start with, comes with, 1 porter hme, and an irish stout hme. throw in a robust lme, or 2? gonna mix the cherries all with it, then let ferment for two weeks, then throw in the oak chips, and decided on 2 oz's of irish whiskey and let that set for another week? whatya think about that stink? lol!

finally got my oak chips in! don't want to get them mixed up with my mesquite chips haha! eventho oak chips in my smoker probably smoke real good, but mesquite chips in lbk???

• Like 1

HoppySmile!, on 19 Feb 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

finally got my oak chips in! don't want to get them mixed up with my mesquite chips haha! eventho oak chips in my smoker probably smoke real good, but mesquite chips in lbk???

different strokes, for different folks

what if cherry wood chips soaked in bourbon? is that goin too far or possible? i'll probably wont attempt,

I would smoke the chips first.  That's when their flavor gets activated imo.

Cherry: Similar to apple… sweet and usually very fruity depending on the age of the wood. Tends to be mild making it a good choice for poultry, fish, and ham.

u know last summer I did smoke some ribs on my smoker with treated cedar wood, everyone commented on the cedar taste and I told them it was pecan wood un cured, hmmmm cedar wood ale!!!!

just bottled the bourbon oak vanilla cherry porter, tried a sample and oh wow! the bourbon oak is really tasty strong! I remember jim Johnson sayin a little oak goes a long ways, oh boy! this brew will have to condition for at least 4 to 6 months, but its gonna be good! by then I might be able to use it as cologne.........

• Like 3