Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
luv9rove

First batch seems flat - any wisdom?

Hi beer guzzlers!

I brewed my first batch with the LBK kit the day after X-Mas 2014.  I followed the included book directions with the included Czech pilsner and even checked this forum before proceeding.  I fermented for one month in a nice dark room temperature place.  I carbonated 3 weeks. 

I popped them open last weekend, and I dunno... the beer as almost no head.  I mean none.  There are some obvious bubbles in the mix, but the beer seems flat to me with no head. The taste is actually okay, but its just.... flat!

Any pointers for this noob?  Is the Czech pilsner supposed to have a head?  Did I open the bottles too soon?  Should I put more sugar in?  

Thanks!

how did you carbonate, room temp? we recommend 3 weeks in the fermenter and 4 weeks in the bottle @ room temp..  cool only what you plan to drink @ 1 sitting.

Thanks for your reply!

Carbonation was at room temperature.  I think I opened the bottles a week too early.  I will keep trying. :)

the one big complaint ppl have with the mr beer kits as is (standard refills) - no head or weak head retention. this is easily fixed by  a steeping grain addition to the process of some (qtr pound) carapils or carafoam grain (crushed) and a quart of  water at 155f -160f water for about 30 mins. remove the grain bag, add the water to your wort.  you can also add LME pouches to add body.

re the carbing problem... carbing is BEST if you keep the bottles in a room that is 70F or higher for a full 4 weeks. this also give your beer a chance to condition / improve in flavor. if you are sure I mean really sure you added the required sugar before you capped, then just move the bottles to a warmer spot and leave them sit a week or 2 more.

yeast are tricky because they are living things.  you also cant guarantee getting the same amount of yeast in every bottle. some bottles will firm up super fast...some take the full 4 weeks.  ive had yeast that was so productive a few bottles were nearly rock hard in just 3 days! ive also had bottles that refused to carb until almost the very last few days of a 4 week period.

the one big complaint ppl have with the mr beer kits as is (standard refills) - no head or weak head retention. this is easily fixed by  a steeping grain addition to the process of some (qtr pound) carapils or carafoam grain (crushed) and a quart of  water at 155f -160f water for about 30 mins. remove the grain bag, add the water to your wort.  you can also add LME pouches to add body.

Our Golden LME pouch is mostly wheat malt. This will also give you great head retention and body. More so than the other LME pouches.

• Like 1

Give it another week, but extract brews don't typically have a good head on them.  It's just the nature of the beast.  Doesn't make the beer bad, just maybe not what you'd expect.  As was stated, when you are ready to step up your game, try steeping some grains.

My 1st batch, and maybe even my second were like this. I don't know what I did wrong then, because my last view batches have not had this issue. My St Paddys Stout had too much head, as did my American Ale.

Our Golden LME pouch is mostly wheat malt. This will also give you great head retention and body. More so than the other LME pouches.

Awesome!  I'm usually on the fence between Pale and Golden due to color.  But now there's another fold...

• Like 1

cant go wrong with the wheat! unless your significant other hates wheat beer...then it's "MORE FOR ME! "  :)

If I am making a mix wheat/barley malts in beer is there any difference in using wheat yeast or regular yeast?

I mean can either yeast ferment both malts well?

Is it just a question of the flavor byproducts you get?

I am asking - thinking of making a German Dark wheat beer, so I would use Pilsner with Golden LME, or  Weissbeer with smooth LME and a wheat or a dry ale or a lager yeast.

Suggestions?

Wheat yeast usually has fruity esters i.e. S-06 will give you cloves if fermented low temp and banana if fermented in the upper temps..(I got great banana by keeping it @ 73f) When I make an American Wheat I use S-33, if I make a Weizen I use S-06. Using US-05 will result in a clear wheat ale, so I use 33 for some cloudy.

• Like 1

Uh Oh - if your beer is flat, I seem to have some extra carbonation here I can share....Dortmunder Export bottled 12/16 after only a 2 week fermentation, probably not fermented out - since it was a lot of malt in the seasonal. I am doing them all at 3 weeks now.

But it tastes good :-).

Dortmunder  Export has a bit of gas.

• Like 1

my beer was in bottles for 4 weeks at room temp they still don't have right amount of carb the cal was also a little darker than i thought it would be.other than that it taste good can;t wait to try next batch. cheers

hey I just finished my first batch.  it was the classic American light.  3 weeks in keg  4 weeks conditioning.  just opened first 2. they were both very flat.  temp was 70 degrees.  2 carb drops per 750ml bottle tightly closed.  am I screwed or is there anything I can do to save the batch? 

If it does not taste sweet, add another carb drop and keep at above 70. See if you can get it at 75. Maybe near the heating furnace? That is working for my ESB.