Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
C-ya

Want to do a Weizenbock ala Aventinus

Josh (or anyone else that wants to), can you come up with a recipe for a Weizenbock?  I could do a steep/mash if needed, but I would like to use extracts if possible.  LBK sized, please.

I found an old RCE thread and someone mentioned making it, but didn't provide a recipe.

We actually have a weizenbock recipe on our website. It is a bit lower abv than a traditional weizenbock and you'd have to lose the berries. If you want a higher ABV weizenbock, consider adding a can of Bavarian Weissbier can to the recipe. That will bring it closer to 8% abv.

http://www.mrbeer.com/blackberry-weizenbock-recipe-new

Josh, sorry I missed that!  I searched all kinds of ways, but apparently not with the correct keyword.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Jim, I'm going to try Josh's recipe. I'll grab a couple from a local beer store to research and compare.

Here is my interpretation

With  losing the berries & syrup will take that recipe down to ~4.6 ABV. (Oktoberfest and Golden), the added Weissbier (+ 3.7) will add another 3.7 so you should get a good 8%. That will do nicely but may be a bit hoppy and not dark or fruity enough.

On top of the Oktoberfest, I would just add a 3-4 packs of golden and a pack of smooth to darken it up and give some of the fruity notes. That should give you ~ 7.6 - 8.6 ABV. 

Oktoberfest rates 19 IBU so withal the malt that will tone it down a bit. 

Since it calls for banana notes, ferment higher than 70deg..

Or you could take the Dark Winter Ale as a base - that has excellent raisiny/licorice etc. notes,  gives 5.5%,  and add 2-3 Golden packs.

Use a wheat yeast to give the banana flavors. It will be quite a bit more bitter though.

Reference: Schneider Weiss Unser Adventinus, 8.2% , 16 IBU

Hops - Hallertauer Tradition and Magnum

Malts

50 % wheat malt,
50 % barley malt
from the region of Kelheim

Darkruby colored wheat doppelbock with a creamy fine head. Strong notes of ripe bananas, raisins and plums meet liquorice and roasty aromes. Full-bodied and warming, with a well-balanced and smooth finish. Oldest wheat doppelbock of Bavaria.

C-ya, on 13 Feb 2015 - 6:59 PM, said:

Jim, I'm going to try Josh's recipe. I'll grab a couple from a local beer store to research and compare.

I will grant you it's been roughly forever since I last had an Aventinus(Nov '82) but I don't remember berries in it.  What I meant was if you run up on an Aventinus clone, let me know. I have had no luck at all. Or if you know a link to them. Or even just the name of the brewery(all I can remember is the purple label and that it was really good). 

Nick, thanks for your thoughts on it. I'll take them into consideration. Heck, I may do your version as well as Josh's suggested changes.

Jim, I meant I would try Josh's changes. Yes, you are remembering correctly - no berries! Nick's post has the name of the one I had, I think. I'll post a picture shortly.

I'm sure they've changed the label I don't remember any white on it back then, or maybe it's just my failing memory.  that sure looks like the brew! (your killing me here)

My friend who told me about it remembered a more purple label as well. They must have changed over the years.

I bet you could find it at a local craft beer store. Two of the three I looked at knew what it was, but only one had it in stock.

It's kind of strange to me, but the bottles of it I got in Kitzingen (where I was stationed) said weizenstark (meaning strong wheat) not bock...probably just a variant.

Would you please tell me the name of the brewery? The town would be nice also, but not required to find their web page. I cannot look at anything on that link except superficially. They neither have stores in the 2 state area nor will they ship here so they won't let me look. I cannot get a larger pic so my old eyes can read the whole label.

Jim, the name of the brewery is Schneider Weisse.  Well, technically, it's Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH.

Names/pictures:

http://www.schneider-weisse.de/index.php?lang=en&tpl=brauerei.spezialitaeten.aven

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/72/224/

This store shows they have it in bottles, as well as the higher gravity Aventinus Eisbock.  They are in Stockbridge, GA (south of ATL).  https://www.beermenus.com/places/6468-barley-and-vine-growlers

Well I bought one and tried it. I am not overwhelmed.

Sweet, a bit raisiny/figgy, warming, but I won't buy another one.

I guess it is a matter of taste.

I am not really into strong beers.

Nick, it may be an acquired taste.  I like all kinds of beer, and that one was really good to me.  Maybe try one more before you pass judgement.  I was that way with Sierra Nevada's IPA back in '96 or so.  My buddy told me to get one, drink it, and order another.  I couldn't give any kind of judgement until I was at least half way through the second one.  After I choked down the first one, I thought there was no way in heck I could ever like them.  Halfway through the second, I changed my mind.  Today, I love IPA's.

finally ran up on one turns out I ain't loosing that part of my mind ...yet.  It was Weizenstark we drank not bock. Here's a label;  http://www.catawiki.com/catalog/beer-labels/breweries/schneider-sohn-kelheim/1480041-aventinus-Weizenstark

Zorak1066:

I don't know either, but sure sounds like it'd make a good beer. Saved it to add to the brew schedule

• Like 1

I liked the Sierra Nevada IPA at the 1st glass :-), Just the thing sitting in an airport in mid USA.

http://www.schneider-weisse.de/index.php?lang=en&tpl=brauerei.spezialitaeten.aven&sid=$sid

apparently they renamed it tap 6? it doesn't give the recipe but tells you the grain and hops. the yeast I imagine is proprietary... maybe it can give you some ideas for a recipe.

never heard of a weizenstark before... learned something new. a wheat doppelbock?

malted wheat - 50%

the rest munich and viena malt

hallertau tradition and magnum hops

ibus 16

8.2% abv

wy3333  ?

something like this? don't know about mash schedules or amounts to use.. just piecing together what their site had and some notes from the beer style guidelines etc...

have you looked at NB's advantageous weizenbock?

We actually have a weizenbock recipe on our website. It is a bit lower abv than a traditional weizenbock and you'd have to lose the berries. If you want a higher ABV weizenbock, consider adding a can of Bavarian Weissbier can to the recipe. That will bring it closer to 8% abv.

Josh, I made this recipe last night.  I used the Bavarian Weissbier yeast since I wasn't sure which to use and what the difference was.  It came in a white packet (paper over foil) and the Oktoberfest yeast was in the gold foil packet (general ale yeast).  I may make another batch exactly the same except use the Oktoberfest yeast.  Since you know the yeast, what kind of difference should be expected?

The wheat yeast will give more banana/clove esters/phenols especially at warmer temps.

FWIW I use 06 in wheats and when I want a real strong banana I ferment at 73f (wort temp).  I have read that if you ferment 06 in the low 60s you'll get more cloves than banana.

• Like 1

The wheat yeast will give more banana/clove esters/phenols especially at warmer temps.

Thanks!

Knowing this, I'll go buy a couple to taste test and see what I can detect.  That may cause me to adjust my fermentation temp.

Welp, I think I screwed the pooch on this one.  It tasted kinda "zingy" when I bottled it.  I thought something may have been wrong but I decided to go ahead with the carb/conditioning.  I tried one last Friday evening after having read the thread about infections and someone posting a link with pictures of oily, filmy bubbles on top of things.  I poured a glass and the head was incredible!  Huge bubbles that didn't really pop all that fast.  As it did go down, there was a nice haze and film on the head.  I'll open another one and get pics.  I was just so disgusted with it I poured it down the drain without getting a pic.  It still tastes "zingy".  Doesn't smell bad, just looks weird and tastes a little off.

I'll remake it, I'm sure.  Josh, the recipe is missing from the new site though.  I searched for weizenbock and just bock and it doesn't come up.

Must have been a sanitization slip up.  My first so far.  Maybe I got a little complacent making that batch.

Yesterday evening I opened one of these that I had in the fridge for over a week, expecting the same thing.  To my surprise, it didn't have the big, nasty bubbles the first one did, and it actually tasted fine!  I drank it and am still here this morning to post about it.

Aventinus%20clone_zpsb0wvuibu.jpg

I'll try this again and see what the next one does.  I was really disappointed that I was going to lose this batch, but now it is looking up.

Interesting presentation.  A lot of it is over my head, but it is cool to see the pictures.  Reminds me of a place we ate and drank at in Düsseldorf.  Zum Shlusser

20141021_133352_zpsmchjdei3.jpg

20141021_144153_zpshsu96ykp.jpg