Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mcasselman

hop boil sludge

Did my 1st 5 gallon batch and left most of the "hop sludge" in the boil pot (did not poor into fermenter). I tried to leave it all but sure some got by. Sure I read to do this, but was looking for other opinions.

We use a nylon hop bag for our boils and dry hopping. Lets you easily pull the gunk (and by gunk I mean delicious hoppy wonderfulness) out. They only cost a couple bucks and can be re-used. 

Cheers!

I go commando with my hops.  When I put the wort into the LBKs, I scoop it out of the pot with a 16 oz measuring cup and pour it into a 32 ounce measuring cup that has a strainer over it.  Then I pour into the LBKs.  Everything of course is sanitized.

I also cold crash, so any "gunk" stays on the bottom when I send it over to my bottling bucket.

I use hop sacks but everything in the pot left over whether MrB or 5+ gallons gets dumped in the fermenter.  There are different schools of thought on this as to whats better, but I think my method is better cuz I am lazy (plus I usually do a secondary after 4-7 days into the fermentation).

• Like 1

You open a hop sack that is in a pot boiling and add another hop to it? Really? A big nylon bag let's you do that.

I go commando in the boil unless im doing a recipe with tons of hops.  after wort cools, I use a sanitized measuring cup (4cup) and transfer the wort into the fermenter through a sieve... this aerates as well as screens out most of the hop crud.  that way I can get every drop of wort out of the pot.  once it is light enough for me I pour the rest through the sieve.

mcasselman, on 16 Feb 2015 - 8:41 PM, said:

Do you use a seperate bag for each timed addition?

yes I do, I have 4 nylon hop sacks.

you can make a hop spider from a nylon bag and a wire hanger.  drop each hop addition into the hop bag/spider.  lift it out on flame out.

I just toss 'em in and fish 'em out at flame out with a pair of salad thongs I bought for the purpose.  

post-59190-0-45900500-1424184258_thumb.j

I use a strainer when putting hopped wort in the fermentor (LBK or Ale Pail).  If the recipe calls for keeping them in, I use a hop sack.

I don't like going naked with hops in the LBK.  I've had too many issues with the hops clogging the bottling wand spring thingy.  Since I secondary my 5ers, I don't have this problem.

I guess cold-crashing the LBK would help, but I've never done it nor had the need other than when putting hops in without a sack.

Assuming one is using pellets: My lazy-day practice is to 'whirlpool' the wort once you have gotten to the point where you are ready to move everything to the fermentor. Basically, get a long spoon and go for a fast, smooth stir until you have a nice whirlpool effect and then pull out the spoon. Let it spin and settle out (give it a good 20-30 minutes) and then, from the edge of the kettle, rack the wort over to your bucket/carboy. When you get down towards the bottom you should have a nice little pyramid-like pile of hops that can be left behind by the auto-syphon. Note~ You'll just want to make sure you are keeping everything cleaned and sanitized since you are on the cool side of the boil.

If you have the equipment this can help to minimize the hop prep time if you are using several varieties and/or a hop schedule since you can just dump your pellets right into the boil. It'll also cut down on the need for muslin sacks, nylon bags, and other filtering equipment. So, the time spent on waiting for the whirlpool to settle is somewhat offset by the reduction in prep and clean-up time...

I personally use a home made hop spider.  Drilled 3 holes in a pvc 4 inch pipe, inserted 3 carriage bolts into that, and attach nylon paint strainer bags with binder clips.  The most expensive part were the carriage bolts.  Maybe 15 bucks total.  I have to use bags since I have a plate chiller.  You can't let the hop gunk in there!  

Before the plate chiller, I just went commando and dumped everything into the fermenter.  No discernible issues I could detect with that method, either.  Sometimes the beer wasn't very clear, primarily due to the hot and cold break proteins in suspension.  

I go commando with my hops.  When I put the wort into the LBKs, I scoop it out of the pot with a 16 oz measuring cup and pour it into a 32 ounce measuring cup that has a strainer over it.  Then I pour into the LBKs.  Everything of course is sanitized.

I also cold crash, so any "gunk" stays on the bottom when I send it over to my bottling bucket.

Rick - if I understand, commando or bagged, we are leaving the hops in the wort and pouring in to the LBK. Correct?

Did my first hop addition yesterday. Got DME up to a boil and threw a half ounce at 15min and an ounce at 8min with no bag. Placed a strainer over the LBK and poured the wort in occasionally having to stop every now and then to unclog the screen. Not exactly the fun part of the process but no need for bags.

You do have to stop to add more hops at lower times though. Plus that's 50cents you can put toward your next batch lol. I was reading an article about hops surface area in and out of the bag. I found the information to be mostly a matter of perspective but I also found a consensus that going "commando" did result in a slightly better flavor. 

I personally use a home made hop spider.  Drilled 3 holes in a pvc 4 inch pipe, inserted 3 carriage bolts into that, and attach nylon paint strainer bags with binder clips.  The most expensive part were the carriage bolts.  Maybe 15 bucks total.  I have to use bags since I have a plate chiller.  You can't let the hop gunk in there!  

Best thing I ever did for brewing.

No hops at the bottom of the brew pot.  Definately makes for a cleaner beer.  When dry-hopping I still use bags though.  For the same reason.