Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
spatu

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale clone anyone?

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if any of you ever brewed a clone of Christmas beers like the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale or the Gouden Carolus Noel.

In general, do you have any tips or mr.beer recipes to tweak in order to get closer to Belgian Strong Dark Ales taste?

I really want to try something special for the next Christmas!

I look forward to hear your comments.

Those are some good beers. They will be difficult to duplicate, but I'm sure you can come pretty close with some experimentation. You could try the Winter Dark, but add a Golden LME for body and head retention, and maybe a cup of white or even brown sugar (I'd use Belgian Candi sugar, if you can get it). And I'd probably use the T-58 yeast to really give it a Belgian character like the Gouden Carolus Noel. Or you could try our Quad, which is basically the same style as the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. http://www.mrbeer.com/gigantor-quad-recipe

• Like 1

By the way Josh, when do you add the sugar?

To the wort or when bottling?

So, I assume that the sweet taste is given by the sugar?

If I would like to add chocolate flavor when it should be added? At the flameout?

Thank you!

Add it to the wort. Dissolve it in the hot water just before adding your malts. The sugar actually helps dry it out a bit (in fact, if you omitted the sugar, your beer will be sweeter). It's the heavy malts that give it the sweet taste. If you use dark Belgian Candi sugar or brown sugar, you will get a bit more residual sweetness, but not much.

If adding chocolate extract flavoring, add at bottling, otherwise, add the chocolate at the end of the boil. Try using cocoa nibs. They work great.

• Like 1

Do not use a chocolate bar or other chocolate like that - it has FAT.  Fat ruins beer.

• Like 2

I have not.  I don't like spices in drinks - like mulled wine or spiced cider.   I also don't like strong scents - perfumes, fragrances in houses, etc.  

• Like 2

I have not.  I don't like spices in drinks - like mulled wine or spiced cider.   I also don't like strong scents - perfumes, fragrances in houses, etc.  

I'm the same way. Not into spices or most strong scents. I do, however, enjoy the occasional saison or spiced Belgain, but not too much. And if the spices are too strong, I won't drink it.

• Like 1

A Blue Moon clone, with coriander and orange is ok for me.

I can't even stand the thought of coriander, in beer or otherwise.  It tastes like celery to me.  Funny how different our palates are.  

Thank you Rick, I was curious!

By the way, since I found 5 gal recipes around the internet for these kind of beers, to bring it down to 2.5 gal I have just to divide everything by 2?

Or, get a second LBK and brew 5 gallons and split it.  I just finished one minutes ago.

• Like 1

I made the Spiced Christmas Ale using the Winter Dark and it is good, but you nee a few months for spices to mellow. Same using pumpkin ale with spices. I find the spices can be a bit fierce.

• Like 1