Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DrewPsack

Sanitizing muslin bags

Hello all. I'm looking to sanitize a muslin bag for my first ever dry hopping adventure in a few days. The recipe I am brewing calls for a dry hop a week after the initial brew. I received 2 no-rinse-cleanser packets, and I am not sure how much to use to sanitize only a small muslin bag. Thanks in advance brewheads. Cheers!

Just boil it in water for a few minutes. No need to use the No-rinse on it.

• Like 1

Just boil it in water for a few minutes. No need to use the No-rinse on it.

Great!! What is the extra bag of cleanser for then?

Great!! What is the extra bag of cleanser for then?

Extra?

Your typical refill/recipe comes with 1 bag that you're supposed to divide into 2 separate uses:

1. Brew Day - your LBK and all of your beer making utensils
  2. Bottle Day - all of your bottles and extra stuff (bottling bucket, wand, tube, etc)

However, I did find this on a special recipe:

1. At the 1 week mark, place the contents of all the pellet hops packets into the sanitized hop sack tying it closed, then trim away excess material.

This is on the Novacaine recipe.  The extra cleanser is because you are dry hopping.

Alternatively, you can still just boil the bag, put your hops in, then toss sack in.

Extra?

Your typical refill/recipe comes with 1 bag that you're supposed to divide into 2 separate uses:

• Brew Day - your LBK and all of your beer making utensils
  • Bottle Day - all of your bottles and extra stuff (bottling bucket, wand, tube, etc)

However, I did find this on a special recipe:

• At the 1 week mark, place the contents of all the pellet hops packets into the sanitized hop sack tying it closed, then trim away excess material.
This is on the Novacaine recipe. The extra cleanser is because you are dry hopping.

Alternatively, you can still just boil the bag, put your hops in, then toss sack in.

This particular recipe came with 2 no rinse cleanser packets.

You probably just got lucky and received a 2nd pack for free. :ph34r:

Novacaine - Recipe

MAKES APPROX. 2 GALLONS OF BEER IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS.
OG: 1.102(approx.) -- FG: 1.020 (approx.)
Suggested lager time is 3 to 9 months. Hoppy up front, smooths out with longer aging.

Flavor: Hoppy
ABV (alc/vol): 10.7%
SRM (Color): 40+
IBU (Bitterness): 99+

A fortuitous mistake by one of our Brewmasters originally resulted in this wonderful Barleywine that boasts more than 10% abv. At first taste, its dark malt complexity is overwhelmed by the numbing sensation that temporarily deadens your mouth. But once your palate is revived, the flavor explodes and warms you through to your toes! Make it early and lager for at least 6 months to a year for best flavor before sharing it with your most discerning connoisseurs.

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can American Ale HME
1 Can Aztec Mexican Cerveza HME
1 Can St. Patrick's Irish Stout HME
3 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lids of HME)
1 Packet Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast
1 BrewMax LME Softpack - Golden
2 ½ oz Packet Cascade Pellet Hops
2 ½ oz Packet Northern Brewer Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
2 Packets No-Rinse Cleanser

WARNING: Due to the large amount of malt, your keg may overflow or explode! Maintaining proper fermentation temperatures toward the lower end of the yeasts range is key to preventing this problem.

I just pour boiling water on the hop bag in a cup or basin, and then put the hops in it when cool enough to handle. No infections so far.

Some recipes seem t have 2 sanitizers in them. Never figured why.

I just pour boiling water on the hop bag in a cup or basin, and then put the hops in it when cool enough to handle. No infections so far.

Some recipes seem t have 2 sanitizers in them. Never figured why.

If you follow the instructions, you would need 1.5 bags of sanitizer.

While your technique is spot on, I think it's easier, instruction-wise, to tell people to "sanitize" and include another bag.

If you have an LBHS near your home you can get a jug og Star-San or some other sanitizing cleaner and a small(ish) spray bottle.  Mix up some of the sanitizer in the bottle and keep it on hand for uses such as this.  It will keep for a few weeks and then you can just replace what's in the bottle next time you're making or bottling beer.

In addition; hops have a natural anitbiotic(I think that's the term I want to use) in them.  So while it's important to sanitize the hop sack it's not something you have to worry about not over-doing.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2015 at 9:36 AM, MRB Josh R said:

You probably just got lucky and received a 2nd pack for free. :ph34r:

Actually, the Belgian Blanc recipe provides a second no-rinse pack as part of the recipe and part of the deal.  

I started the Belgian Blanc today and used a Blue Moon spice pack from the local home brew store instead of trying to prepare some orange zest, etc.  

I like your idea of just boiling the hop sack when it's time to add the Hallertau hops next week.

As usual, now the hard part for me is waiting for the first taste!