Mr.Beer Community
JoshR

Fat Tire Clone

Fat Tire Clone:

This is loosely based off of BYO's clone, but using Mr. Beer ingredients (other than the grains):

1 American Ale
2 LME- Smooth
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
.25 lb Carapils (I prefer Belgian, but any carapils will do)
.5 oz Willamette Hops
1 oz Fuggle Hops
S-05 Yeast

Instructions:

Steep grains in 4 cups of water at 155° F for 45 minutes. Remove grains and add 1 LME. Bring to boil and add .5 oz Willamette hops. Boil for 15 minutes then add .5 oz Fuggle hops. Boil another 5 minutes, add remaining Fuggle and remove from heat. Add the HME and 2nd LME. Add yeast and ferment as normal (3 weeks at 65-70 degrees). When bottling, try lowering the amount of priming sugar to mimic the low carbonation level of Fat Tire. Let the beer condition for at least a few months to mellow and mature for best results.

• Like 8

whats cool about this recipe is that I have an American ale hme that I didn't know what to do with, and now since I have that and almost haif the ingredients, I will have the opportunity to brew my favorite !!!! thank you josh for the research!

• Like 2

No problem. Let me know how it comes out. :)

got all the " ingreedances" ordered that I dnt have. ive still got to batch two others b4 I start the flat tire, I want to keg this one........

got all the " ingreedances" ordered that I dnt have. ive still got to batch two others b4 I start the flat tire, I want to keg this one........

Either your spell checker checked out, or you've had at least 1 to many. :lol:

• Like 1

ingreedances is my custom brewers vocabulary i'm creating, along with the malts and hops I got I went ahead and got sum caramel malt too,  thot maybe throwing sum in there,, and another question I have is it says in the recipe, 2 lme smoothes, I have 2 dme smoothes and one lme smooth. can I substitute tose two dme as one lme? I know theyre not as concentrated

Um, DME is MORE concentrated. LME has water in it too and is probably about 2/10 water going by weight. So I would just swap 1 Mr B DME for a Mr B LME.

• Like 2

To get right down on it.  If you wanted to change 1 lb of LME for DME you'd use .80 lb DME. If you wanted to replace 1 lb of DME with LME you'll need 1.25 lbs of LME.

• Like 2

Yep. Now for Mr B recipes/ingredients,

8.81 oz in Mr B LME

7.5   oz in Mr B DME

LME/DME ratio of packet weights is 1.17

From chart 7.50/6.00 = 1.25.

Close enough.

Just substitute Mr B packets in their recipes DME for LME and vice-versa as you have them.

I just use 1/2 of a 1 lb. packet of DME if I do not have Mr. B packet to hand.

ok! fat tire is in the LBK! when the instructions say try lowering the priming sugar to mimic the low carbonation lvl of fat tire, I have 16 oz bottles, i'm using corn sugar, so I guess maybe a 1/2 teaspoon is sufficient? 

ok! fat tire is in the LBK! when the instructions say try lowering the priming sugar to mimic the low carbonation lvl of fat tire, I have 16 oz bottles, i'm using corn sugar, so I guess maybe a 1/2 teaspoon is sufficient? 

I'd go with 3/4 tsp.

Any reason some beers open with a nice pop, pour with OK head, but then fizzle out to taste almost flat?  Think it's headspace in the bottle?

Any reason some beers open with a nice pop, pour with OK head, but then fizzle out to taste almost flat?  Think it's headspace in the bottle?

That means not enough Co2 has absorbed into the beer. Carbonating for 3 weeks and then conditioning in the fridge for at least a week should prevent this.

Some brewers claim that proper carbonation will not occur without some headspace, and will overcarbonate with excess headspace. As it turns out, it is not true; it violates the concept of equilibrium thermodynamics. As long as the beer still has some viable yeast, carbonation depends mainly on the amount of priming sugar, not on the headspace. Bottles with extra headspace will reach full carbonation faster, however. This is because the extra oxygen in the headspace allows the yeast a brief reproductive phase.

• Like 2

define "extra head space" there's got to be a limit. A 3/4 full bottle will carb up? If so I sure been drinking stuff I could've carbed

Using the 1/2L PET bottles, probably 1 full inch of headspace.  I would use the bottling wand but I haven't found a good way to keep the wand sanitized throughout the bottling process (you can't touch it because it goes inside the bottle)

I do try and bottle all of them the same level and use the 1 carb drop.  But it seems like CO2 doesn't always absorb into the beer.

That ought to be just about where the wand would leave it. I bring the bottle to the wand not the other way around. I've had no infections yet from using a bottling wand

Reading about "equilibrium thermodynamics"...

From my understanding about CO2 and water, it would seem that the best carbonation would be achieved if bottles were placed into the fridge once maximum CO2 was produced.

However, we understand that yeast will go dormant in colder environments.

I guess the question is, how long should it take to achieve complete absorption of CO2 if placed in the fridge?

they can force prime in like a week @ 35f, less if you roll the keg. not sure a natural prime bottle would work the same.

they can force prime in like a week @ 35f, less if you roll the keg. not sure a natural prime bottle would work the same.

Yeah, Ive force kegged in a day before.

Most people recommend putting in the fridge for around three days.  I have no problems drinking right out of the pantry if what I want NOW isnt in the fridge or on tap.

• Like 1

I usually do the 24 finger measurement?? and its really tough doin that bcuz I dnt have 24 fingers, so I substitute a 12X12X12 fence post, but then its heavy and difficult to keep steady as I pour the beer, so I decided to jut wing it!

• Like 1

ok really, I will try to be normal here bcuz I do have a question, if u add extra lme, dme or a booster and add normal amount of sugar when bottling, does it make any changes to the carbonization bcuz of the added ingredients?

you mean you added DME and the priming sugar? or did you mix them and put in a measured amount?

ok really, I will try to be normal here bcuz I do have a question, if u add extra lme, dme or a booster and add normal amount of sugar when bottling, does it make any changes to the carbonization bcuz of the added ingredients?

No.

I can only assume your extra ingredients are added before the yeast and primary fermentation.

If that is true, then, no, it has no impact on carbonation.

I say it this way because some people have used strange things to prime their bottles.

• Like 1

yes vaddko, b4.  I haven't primed the fat tire yet its still in fermentation in the lbk., thanx rick as well, and jim u shud noe that I dnt noe what i'm talking about especially when i'm sober....hehe 

yes vaddko, b4.  I haven't primed the fat tire yet its still in fermentation in the lbk., thanx rick as well, and jim u shud noe that I dnt noe what i'm talking about especially when i'm sober....hehe 

I rather gather that is not the case here? ;)

• Like 1

Brewed my Fat Tire today.  Smelled really good cooking up!  Gonna be really hard to leave it alone for a couple of months.

• Like 2

Fat Tire Clone:

This is loosely based off of BYO's clone, but using Mr. Beer ingredients (other than the grains):

1 American Ale

2 LME- Smooth

.25 lb Chocolate Malt

.25 lb Carapils (I prefer Belgian, but any carapils will do)

.5 oz Willamette Hops

1 oz Fuggle Hops

S-05 Yeast

Instructions:

JoshR, is the S-05 yeast the same asSafale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast ?

JoshR, is the S-05 yeast the same asSafale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast ?

Yes.

Safale US-05 is also known as the "Chico" strain. It was originally introduced by Sierra Nevada (it's used in their beers) and is the country's most popular brewing yeast. It's also the same as White Labs 001 (WLP001) and Wyeast's American Ale (WY 1056).

• Like 1

It's also the same as White Labs 001 (WLP001) and Wyeast's American Ale (WY 1056).

I did not know that.

• Like 2

Some people are brand loyal and will claim one is better than the other, but they are just different brands of the same exact strain.

Brewed my Fat Tire today.  Smelled really good cooking up!  Gonna be really hard to leave it alone for a couple of months.

I noe what u meen!  I can't weight that long! what am I gonna do? I guess I cud go climb mount everlast shud be done by the tyme I get back.....

• Like 1

i'm looking forward when I get to start the chamy blue, still dnt have all the ingreedances

i'm looking forward when I get to start the chamy blue, still dnt have all the ingreedances

I did the 1 week taste of the Chimay Blue and it was smooth.  My wife thinks its too bitter but I disagree.  We'll taste it again in a month.

ok so I finally tapped into one of my fat tire clone kegs, during  a bbq party last night and thot id serve a sample to everyone. it was a success! we wiped it out fast! however, it didn't taste anything like fat tire nor did it look like it maybe bcuz I added sum chocolate and caramel malt to the recipe. had great head retention and the malt character was superb! ive renamed it as the now new Black tire stout!!!

• Like 1

Hey josh, do you leave the hops in the keg while this ferments or remove the hops?

Leave them in.

My Fat Tire clone, called Rotund Tyre, will be ready in 2 weeks.  

Great name. lol :P

How did it turn out, Rick?  I'll most likely brew another batch soon.  Darn good beer.

It's good - I am no expert on Fat Tire, so I can't tell how close it is.  Noticeable Biscuit flavor as well as Munich - similar to the Oktoberfest that I made.  Can't say I am a huge fan of Munich after brewing these two - not awful, just not fabulous.  

• Like 1

I hear ya.  Everyone has what they like.  Maybe I'm too dumb to know that and like too much stuff!

fat tire is one of my favorites to drink, I brewed one early last year, added the wrong grains to it, and it turned into a black stout! but it was a huge success last year on july 4th! I ordered a 5 gal. recipe, and plan starting that in feb or march

AHHHH   HHHHAAAA!!! I found it!!! interesting thread here, even has a extract chart can be helpful for some of you new brewers!!!

Wow, nice thread. Lots of good info. Funny to see people I consider vets asking questions newbs ask. Also funny to see just how much we bug Josh with our questions. 

• Like 2

I beg josh all the time to hire me to be their village drunk, u know the guy who gets to sample the beer and walks around the company acting like an idiot. but I don't act like an idiot when i'm drinking, just only when i'm drunk!!!

brewed up a Northern Brewer Fat Tire Clone 5 gallon recipe late yesterday afternoon after I cleaned and sanitized the four 5 gallon corny kegs I bought yesterday morning. curious how this will turn out

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

brewed up a Northern Brewer Fat Tire Clone 5 gallon recipe late yesterday afternoon after I cleaned and sanitized the four 5 gallon corny kegs I bought yesterday morning. curious how this will turn out

You have quite the brewing budget lately there hoppy. Brewing is a never ending leech on the wallet. 

• Like 1

not exactly, that fat tire was one of the $19.99 buy 3 extract recipes I bought late last summer 2015, I still have two 5 gal. recipes I bought from Midwest when they had their buy 3 for 19.99 each sale last march of 2015. most of the mr. beer extract cans were purchased in the last six  months all on sale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

not exactly, that fat tire was one of the $19.99 buy 3 extract recipes I bought late last summer 2015, I still have two 5 gal. recipes I bought from Midwest when they had their buy 3 for 19.99 each sale last march of 2015. most of the mr. beer extract cans were purchased in the last six  months all on sale.

I was mostly talking about the kegs. 

I thot I got a good deal, considering a used 5 gal. keg goes for 50-75 bucks on the internet, and locally I rarely see any. I paid 37.50 each, the guy wanted 180.00 for the four, and would not sell individually, so it was a package deal. I had to drive 80 miles round trip to get them. I've bite my lip on a lot of deals that I might have been able to afford or not afford but i'm on a budget too, probably not the same as you, family and all.

• Like 1