Magic Hat #9 Clone

Magic Hat #9 Clone:

1 American Ale
1 LME - Smooth
1.5 oz Apricot extract
.5 Cascade Hops
S-04 Yeast

Instructions:

Brew as normal, adding the hops at the end of the boil. Add the Apricot extract at bottling.

• Like 2

Thanks, Josh!  I'm rapidly building an order!

• Like 1

Josh:

Since you seem so adept at building clones, please create the following clones and send them to me, I will send you payment upon receipt:

- A clone of Jessica Alba, one of Mila Kunis, and two of Tricia Helfer.

Thanks Josh!

• Like 2

Josh:

Since you seem so adept at building clones, please create the following clones and send them to me, I will send you payment upon receipt:

- A clone of Jessica Alba, one of Mila Kunis, and two of Tricia Helfer.

Thanks Josh!

I'm not sure what yeast goes with those, but I'll try my best.

Josh, Josh, Josh.  Please, just do your job.  All you need to do is create the clones and ship them to us - the customers.  Let us worry about the details, like how to warm the clones properly, how to ensure they make us happy, things like that.  Just throw in some chocolate syrup though instead of yeast, ok?

Sheesh...  I have little faith you will accomplish this, the most recent living breathing thing you came up with looked like a dog.

Recipe-BarleysBrew-Stout-Home.jpg

• Like 2

Pleeze clone Hillary Clinton! I want her all to myself......................... she looks great in saran wrap!

It could, but then it wouldn't be a clone of the Magic Hat #9. The hop flavor in that beer is almost non-existent as it's the apricot and malts that dominate. 

• Like 1

It is a very interesting beer. There really isn't anything else like it. Even Pyramid's Apricot Ale doesn't come close. I'm not sure if this recipe will do it justice, but it's the best I could come up with using the information I had and the products we carry.

• Like 1

I agree, Josh.  It has to be one of my favorite beers of any style.

• Like 1

I still think I'm going to go with my DFH Aprihop-inspired brew for an apricot type bear.  I just brewed my raspberry-peach wheat on Monday.  And... I just tasted my dark cherries and amber lager last night.

I am possibly becoming a fruity beer drinker.  Ewwwwwww.

• Like 2

Just put my order in for the ingredients for this brew.  I just have to find some extract.  I'll check my LHBS, and if they don't have it, I already have some in my cart on Amazon.

• Like 1

Just cracked my first Magic Hat #9...

not too impressed tbh

It's malty and sweet with a hint of apricot and a floral bouquet that leans towards "clovey" honey, but the taste isn't fulfilling, low carbonation, and it's kind of watery.

Brewed today. Seven weeks to go.

Opened a trub bottle of my Magic Hat #9 clone a week early. Lots of foam, but great taste. Next weekend, I'll buy the real one and do a blind taste test. This one seems to have more apricot aroma, so it may be too easy to tell.

20150418_201958_zpsjvppqdsx.jpg

Thanks for the recipe, Josh!

• Like 1

Hopefully you liked yours.  Because I didn't like the "real" thing :)

Vakko, I like the real deal, and I like my clone.  I have a wide ranging beer palate.  If we all liked the same thing, it might be pretty boring.  But I wonder if we would even know??

LOL yah.  If you have access, I recommend DFH's Aprihop as an alternative.  Much better apricot flavor.

I like the Magic Hat #9 because it's not overwhelming with apricot. Unlike Pyramid's Apricot Ale. YUCK! WAY too much apricot! For some people, like myself, we enjoy subtle fruit flavors, if any, while others enjoy a more robust fruit profile. But that's just another of the many things I love about beer. There's a flavor for everyone! :)

• Like 1

I would also like to point out that Aprihop (which is very good) is an IPA while the #9 is more of a session style fruit beer so you can't really compare them in the same light. I like the Aprihop better only because I'm an IPA fan, but someone that isn't into IPAs will most definitely prefer #9 or Pyramid's Apricot.

• Like 1

I'll look for the DFH.  I really like IPA's, and I have liked all of the DFH brews I've tried so far.

• Like 2