Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
timmyj1983

Pumpkin Rising substitute for pumpkin puree

So I'm very new to brewing...i have only made the American Classic Light and it's carbonating now.  I am a huge fan of pumpkin beers and really wanted to try my hand at it.  I decided to try Pumpkin Rising based on the reviews and description.  I know I probably won't come out with the absolute best first try, but I want to try to tweak and perfect it by fall.  

SO ANYWAY.

I went to a few stores today and could not find Pumpkin puree or mulling spices....and "yes honey i checked in the baking aisles."  The only thing I could find was an imitation pumpkin extract and 100% Pure Pumpkin.  Can I use these and if not what would you recommend.  I checked Wal-Mart and Aldi.  Tomorrow I'm going to look at Giant Eagle(Pittsburgh based Supermarket).  

Well Off to the coal mine...i'll be anxiously waiting to see all of your suggestions and replies!  Also any tips on making a great Pumpkin beer.  I'm a huge fan of Jack-O-Travelers.

Thanks,

Tim 

Have no idea about using extract.  I'd say it would be worth a try.

The one time I made a pumpkin beer with puree, I ended up only getting about 1 gallon or 1.5 gallons of beer out of it due to the trub/pumpkin puree being so thick.  I used nearly a whole 22oz can (probably 18oz).  It was very pumpkiny though.  I didn't use any spices as I don't care for those.

I'm going to have to look for extract here as I'd like to try it.  Might try it in food first to see what the flavor is like.

• Like 1

had the same problem (volume loss) and also got a lacto bacter infection because libbys canning plant is in mexico.. where the water quality and conditions might not be all that great. at least I'm blaming them for it.

• Like 1