Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vakko

Fruit IPA Collaboration

Just tasted Dogfish Head's Aprihop this weekend and wow was I surprised.

So I'm looking for help developing an all Mr. Beer recipe IPL with fruit.  I don't want to clone their beer but I want it's influence.  

I'm going to "brew" up something on Qbrew when I get home tonight.  But here's what i was thinking to start:

1 Can Northwest Pale Ale HME

2-3 BrewMax Pale LME

1 Saflager S-23

15 minute 0.5oz Cascade boil

5 minute 0.5oz Cascade and 0.5oz Glacial boil

something like that

-edit-

forgot I'm going to add either cans of apricots and raspberries or use extracts.

No suggestions, but I'm watching this as well as it sounds like great beer.

Haven't had that one yet.  Being from Maryland I loved the Dead Rise they made during the summer.  It had Old Bay infused in the beer, I loved it and would love to figure it out to make one with a Mr. Beer. 

Raspicot IPL

Recipe   Raspicot IPL   Style   Imperial IPA
Brewer   Vakko   Batch   2.13 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.076 OG   Estimated FG   1.019 FG
Recipe Bitterness   56 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   7.4%
Recipe Color   5° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   5.8%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
1.10 lb   Mr. Beer BrewMax Pale - LME   Extract   Extract
2.86 lb   Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - HME   Extract   Extract
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
0.50 oz   Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales   Pellet   15 minutes
0.50 oz   Glacier - Multi-purpose hop fragrant, pleasing with slight citrus balanced by earthy quality   Pellet   5 minutes
0.50 oz   Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale   Pellet   5 minutes
Quantity   Misc   Notes
1.00 unit   Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast   Yeast   Temperature Range: 51°-59°(optimal), up to 75°F 11.5 GRAMS

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

I haven't yet brewed a fruit IPA, but I have used grapefruit zest in an IPA and it came out amazing.

I haven't yet brewed a fruit IPA, but I have used grapefruit zest in an IPA and it came out amazing.

Interesting... I was reading on another forum during my search for help and someone said the exact opposite about grapefruit lol.

• Like 1

They probably got too much pith in the batch. It's easy to overdo it with grapefruit zest. I did it with an all Citra IPA I made and it was awesome. I may make it again because it was one of my favorite IPAs so far. It was based on Widmer's Rotator Series Shaddock IPA.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/widmer-brothers-rotator-ipa-series--shaddock-ipa/174842/

• Like 1

Any opinion on my hop selection?  I'm really shooting in the dark here.  I've read that dogfish might use Amarillo and/or Warrior.  I haven't really dealt with many different hops types.  But I do like the refreshing aroma of Cascade.  Not sure how the flavor will mash up with apricots and raspberries.

Your cloning that Dogfish Head's Aprilhop right? If so it says cedar notes also. you might need some thing like Tahoma

Your cloning that Dogfish Head's Aprilhop right? If so it says cedar notes also. you might need some thing like Tahoma

Not a clone really because I'm using apricots as well as raspberries.  But yah..

Tahoma Kriek?

Because it's a bigger beer, I'm now leaning more towards 1.1lbs of Smooth instead of Pale.

So after further review, I'm thinking:

• 15 minutes 0.5oz warrior
  • 5 minutes 0.5oz falconer's flight
  • 5 minutes 0.5oz cascade

Says it's only been around since 2013 lol.  And very similar to Glacier, which I plan to use.

But Falconer's Flight sounds very interesting

I LOVE Falconer's Flight. It's one of my favorite hop blends for pales and IPAs. I even used it in a cider before to great effect. It has some of my favorite hops in it including Simcoe, Citra, and Sorachi Ace. It was created in honor of Glenn Hay Falconer, a brewing legend out of the NW who passed away in 2002.

FF works in a wheat also, you get a good mango flavor out of it. Good in the summer

I'll have to remember that for my Raspberry Wheat recipe I brewed last night.  But I'm not sure if rasp-mango is a good combo lol.

Raspricot IPL
Raspricot IPL version 1.6

RecipeRaspricot IPLStyleImperial IPA
BrewerVakkoBatch2.13 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity1.073 OGEstimated FG1.018 FG
Recipe Bitterness68 IBUAlcohol by Volume7.0%
Recipe Color12° SRMAlcohol by Weight5.5%

Ingredients

QuantityGrainTypeUse
0.94 lbOregon Fruit - ApricotAdjunctOther
0.94 lbOregon Fruit - RaspberriesAdjunctOther
0.55 lbMr. Beer BrewMax Robust - LMEExtractExtract
2.86 lbMr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - HMEExtractExtract
QuantityHopTypeTime
0.50 ozCascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American alesPellet2 minutes
0.50 ozFalconer's Flight - Proprietary blend of the Northwest's most unique hop varietiesPellet2 minutes
1.00 ozMr. Beer Northwest Pale AlePellet5 minutes
0.50 ozWarrior -Bittering aromatic properties due to its low cohumulone contentPellet15 minutes
QuantityMiscNotes
1.00 unitSaflager S-23 Dry Lager YeastYeastTemperature Range: 51°-59°(optimal), up to 75°F 11.5 GRAMS

Recipe Notes

1 can raspberries and 1 can apricots added after 7 days of fermentation

1oz Raspberry and 1oz Apricot flavor extract added during bottling

Condition eight (5) weeks

Batch Notes

I know OG should yield 7 weeks condition, but I'm treating this as younger because its an IPA er IPL.

Right IPAs and Wheats should be drank young

Is there a ratio for IPAs?  You say "young" but is there a too young?

For example, if this should be 7 weeks and I went 5 that is 70% of minimum estimate.

Is this too long, too high, or should I just start tasting it after 4 weeks until I think it's awesome? lol

maybe even 3 weeks. just so I know we're on the same page, we're talkin' bottle conditioning time here.

maybe even 3 weeks. just so I know we're on the same page, we're talkin' bottle conditioning time here.

Yes.

Obviously, the beer is "made" after 3 weeks fermentation.  I'm just wondering if there is a percentage of OG that would be converted to represent IPA/Wheat

Example:

IF beer is an ALE/LAGER, then OG 0.0x0 where x=minimum conditioning time in weeks

IF beer is IPA/WHEAT, then OG 0.0x0 where 1/2x=minimum conditioning time in weeks

???

No rule of thumb on that one, at least that I've run up on yet. I believe it was up to the brew master to decide when they were ready. My wheats are typically .053 and they are ready in 3 weeks YMMV. My APAs are around .058 usually takes them 6 weeks. If you research some commons, they were meant to be served young also. However being low gravity that was easy. (I mean traditional commons, not like todays steam beer.) I can give no input on an IPA, as I never brewed one.

Nope.  But I'm trying avoid the grapefruit taste.  That's why I'm using Cascade as aroma or dry hop only.

I was looking at this recipe last night.  I think I'm going to up the Falconer's to a full 5min and drop the Cascade to a DH at the 14 day mark.