Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brybry

Bottling question?

I'm a few days, ok 6, away from bottling my first batch. After reading a lot about how the beer will improve over time would really like to try the beer as it conditions and improves over the first 2 to 8 weeks. My first thought was to use one of the plastic bottles and just open it every week or 2 and take a taste. But after reading my thought is that won't work real feel.

Then I remembered I had a few corona 7oz pony bottles. So I'm thinking of using these as my samples but I have 2 concerns. First how many drops or how much sugar should I use to prime these small bottles? Second they are clear bottles, if I let them condition in a dark location will this be OK?

One final thing does the size of the bottle have any impact on how long to condition, or how long the beer will keep?

Probably 3/8 tsp for 7oz of table sugar.  Good luck measuring that out.

Clear is fine in dark.

Same conditioning time.

Another question about bottling:  What is better table sugar or corn sugar?

Thanks....

Discussed many times.  There is no difference.

As a new brewer, I'd strongly recommend you spend some time reading the forums, including the stickies at the top of some sections.

I've looked around the posts and I'm sure I've probably missed it, but I was curious to know if there is a shelf-lilfe on the PET bottles.  Can they be used indefinitely or should they be discarded at some point and replaced with new bottles.  I'm still too green to try too many new things and want to stay with the basics for awhile longer.  I would assume the weak link in the bottles is the caps, but would like your opinion.  Thanks...

The search is not working very well (it's been reported).

Caps will eventually wear out.  You can replace them with the caps off many 1/2/3 liter soda bottles.  The bottles will be fine for a very, very long time.

I make a hash mark with permanent ink on the cap when I use it.  Some are up to 5 uses (I have a total of 32 1/2 liter and 16 1 liter PET bottles, and went to mostly glass 6 months into the hobby) and still going strong.

• Like 1

If possible, you might try to batch prime rather than go to the effort of measuring sugar for all of those smaller bottles (or trying to mix & match bottle sizes). You'll also get a more evenly primed result throughout your bottles.

• Like 1

I am a proponent of those that want to ask a question, ASK AWAY...sometimes you waste too much time researching stickies and other bull-schiitttt, that to ask and receive an answer is much easier and quicker to do so. If you need guidance NOW, start a topic and ask the fricking question or concern you need answered. I also am a proponent of playing nice on any forum rather than being told you are a dumb-skull for asking such a stupid question and then being told to do some research before asking that stupid question. I believe there are NEVER stupid questions just ignorant insulting mean dis-spirited answers or responses.

Salud my friends and ex-friends...MOOWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 

• Like 3

Yeah, you got a question ask. As I stated on another thread, and can be confirmed by the old timers here, I ask so many questions I had 1500 posts in 3 months. Ask I'll answer

The search is not working very well (it's been reported).

Caps will eventually wear out.  You can replace them with the caps off many 1/2/3 liter soda bottles.  The bottles will be fine for a very, very long time.

I make a hash mark with permanent ink on the cap when I use it.  Some are up to 5 uses (I have a total of 32 1/2 liter and 16 1 liter PET bottles, and went to mostly glass 6 months into the hobby) and still going strong.

I've been saving bottles, tall and short, Guinness, Mother's, New Castle, etc. I'm not sure how deep into brewing I will ever get, but what would be anyone's recommendation as to bottle cappers?

I bought a Red Barron winged capper. It's okay, but if I could start over I'd probably opt for a bench capper.

• Like 2

Bench capper.

For 12 oz bottle I did OK with half of a sugar cube (each cube/dot 0.5 oz approx. 198 to the lb) But that was beer I did not want too much carb. in

If by volume, 12 oz = 360 ml  - approx. half of the PET 750 ml bottle. By that proportion I should use 1.5 cubes- based on 3 for the PET - But there you go.

1.5 cubes ~ 0.75 oz is close to what Rick Beer recommended. You do have to push a bit to get them in but still OK.

There is the range that will work depending on carb you want.   0.5 for ESB, 1.5 for Pilsner.

Experiment but I recommend don't put in more than this.

That's the one I was looking at on Midwest Supplies' website. There price is like $49 or so! I spent about 15 minutes trying to clean a Blue Moon bottle the other evening before I remembered reading you don't use screw top bottles... Lesson learned and I still didn't get all the label off. Anyway, everything I have saved is pry off bottles.

I bought a Red Barron winged capper. It's okay, but if I could start over I'd probably opt for a bench capper.

This is very, very true.  Luckily, I heard others say that so I went straight for the bench model.  Couldn't be happier.

Vintage bench capper.  I bought one very similar.

ebay link

ebay link

Here's the one I bought.  Mine is a little tall as it can be used for wine bottles, so I made a base for shorter bottles.

gallery_64947_29_53109.jpg