Mr.Beer Community
McDammit

Irish stout question

Just learned that my amazing girlfriend (getting married in October) bought me the delux Irish stout refill for my upcoming birthday. I guess my question is does it compare to guiness with regards to carbonation and mouth-feel? That is the stout I started on and it holds a dear place in my heart.

Oh that's right, can't believe I spaced that common fact. Anything you could point me toward ?something familiar as the Irish stout. I've tried most of the more common stouts available.

Shameless Stout is, stats-wise, really close to Guinness Extra Stout.

I think if you use honey instead of booster, you will get a better "dry" mouthfeel.

I have it in bottles and should be able to drink it in about a week.  I will give you an update, however without trying it and knowing it's my second beer I tell people it's going to be like Guinness but remember they have been making beer for over 100 years soooo don't expect that.   From the flat taste it tastes like a stout, not as creamy or thick as Guinness but it did taste pretty good. 

The reality is you're not going to nail any commercial brew with a Mr. Beer refill.  The Irish Stout is of course the closest to Guinness.  The recipe adds booster and LME, raising the ABV.  S-04 is a British ale yeast.  I use it on my Oatmeal Stout.  

To the point above, it won't be "creamy" or "thick" or have the Guinness bubbles.  It will be a good Irish Stout.

Is "booster" readily available in most home brew stores? Or would it be called something else? I know I can get S-04 yeast there. Thanks for all the help and excellent input everyone.

Yes. booster equivalent is sold as Corn Sugar or Dextrose. You can use table sugar but the fermentable % will be different.

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/beer-additives--adjuncts-c9.aspx

Re Nitro. I have had some beers I made that had the same mouth feel, but I do not remember which. I will try to make note next time. They were not the basic recipes. They were heavily carbonated. The carbonation lasted through 1/2 NFL game.

I will try to remember to post what it is when I get same feel again

You can sub in a Robust LME or 2 instead of booster to get same ABV but a thicker, fuller taste.  Additionally, you can double the yeast pitch and increase you prime amount by 25% to increase your carbonation.

Yes. booster equivalent is sold as Corn Sugar or Dextrose. You can use table sugar but the fermentable % will be different.

Actually, our Booster is a mix of dextrose (for ABV) and maltodextrin (for body).

• Like 1

Just learned that my amazing girlfriend (getting married in October) bought me the delux Irish stout refill for my upcoming birthday. I guess my question is does it compare to guiness with regards to carbonation and mouth-feel? That is the stout I started on and it holds a dear place in my heart.

For my inexperienced mouth, the Deluxe Irish Stout is close enough to Guinness.

• Like 1

For my inexperienced mouth, the Deluxe Irish Stout is close enough to Guinness.

sounds dirty...

• Like 1

Watch it now. There could be children reading this forum. There shouldnt be, but you never know.

• Like 1

I will be bottling my Irish Stout this weekend. So in the next couple of days, I will be scrubbing some bottles and caps and getting ready to endure the next four weeks. Since I have three beers coming due at the same time and I only have one extra LBK, I have to figure which of the three I'll batch prime. I hate to bottle one, clean the LBK, sanitize everything and then do it again. I was thinking of batch priming the Irish Stout and bottle priming the Leggy Blond and Heavy McWee. What do you think? Or should I just put in the extra work and batch prime all three?

If you are only using the spare LBK to batch prime and then bottle, it really shouldn't take that long to clean  it in between batches.  I would do my final sanitize on a batch of bottles and then clean the LBK while they are drying.

One thing about brewing, if you don't like to do dishes, you won't like brewing.

• Like 1

Rinse it out good right away, sanitize, and do the next batch.

• Like 1

Rinse it out good right away, sanitize, and do the next batch.

Much less involved than I thought it would be! Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help.

In fact, you can if your brews aren't strange, you could start from light and move to dark and not even do the rinse / sanitize, but then if one of them had an infection you'd run the risk of spreading it.

I do two 2.5 gallon LBKs through my 2.5 gallon slimline each bottling time - but they are the same beer.  I don't do anything between batches except rinse the transfer hose (because I have no where to put it), and plop it back in the StarSan bucket.  I don't rinse out the slimline unless it's a different beer.

If you used honey instead of booster, how much honey would you add for a 2 gallon batch?

What is your goal in adding honey?

What is your goal in adding honey?

Shameless Stout is, stats-wise, really close to Guinness Extra Stout.

I think if you use honey instead of booster, you will get a better "dry" mouthfeel.

I was just curious as to what the recommended quantity of honey would be if you used it instead of booster in the Shameless Stout recipe.

You should not be adding more than 1/2 lb of honey (2/3 cup) to an LBK batch.  Honey dries the beer out, and also raises ABV.  It does NOT, repeat NOT, add honey flavor.  Steeping honey malt, when you start steeping grains, will impart a sweet flavor.  

You should not be adding more than 1/2 lb of honey (2/3 cup) to an LBK batch.  Honey dries the beer out, and also raises ABV.  It does NOT, repeat NOT, add honey flavor.  Steeping honey malt, when you start steeping grains, will impart a sweet flavor.  

OK, thanks.  Guinness Extra Stout is one of my favorites so I might try this recipe at some point.

• Like 1