Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brybry

Batch #1 is in the bottles.

On 2/8 I mixed up my first batch, Aztec, and put it in the LBK.

Had it in a cooler sitting in my kitchen the air temperature, I didn't have a thermometer on the LBK, would have fluctuated from about 64 at night to about 71 during the day. 

I left it ferment until thursday 2/26, then put it in the fridge to cold crash.

Today 2/28 I sterilized my bottles & caps and bottle primed. I then attached a wand I bought to fill the bottles from the bottom. And filled the bottles with the LBK sitting in the fridge, I also took a sample to check with my hydrometer. 

I was very pleased with the clarity and color of the beer. Also with the volume I bottled 2 - 750ml plastic bottles, 16 - 12oz bottles and 3 - 7oz bottles( this will be my early samples).

But I'm not sure about the sample. I waited till it warmed to 70 then checked with the hydrometer. The reading was only about 1.75% that seems low, so I tasted it and although I liked the taste it seemed very cider or green apple to me. Did I cold crash to soon, it was 18 days from filling the LBK to the start of cold crash?

Thoughts?

What was your OG and your FG?

Some of those flavors should condition out over time. Let em sit for a week or two at room temp to carb and then try one every week (and take notes) to see how the beer matures from week to week.

What was your OG and your FG?

Some of those flavors should condition out over time. Let em sit for a week or two at room temp to carb and then try one every week (and take notes) to see how the beer matures from week to week.

unfortunately I don't know what the OG was I didn't get the hydrometer until the fermentation was underway.

Yes I do plan on trying one weekly, that's why I used the 3 pony bottles, that way I can sample without drinking to much before it's really ready.

But now I'm really confused. I took a look at my hydrometer again. there are 3 different scales Specific gravity, Potential alcohol & brix my readings would have been ( the I discarded the sample after my reading last night) were approx

1.012 specific gravity
1.75 potential alcohol
3 brix

But i took that reading at 70 and now I see I should have taken them at 60 so with the temp correction on the chart that came with the hydrometer I think they would have been about

1.013 specific gravity
3.3 brix

You should review this thread. Sounds like you did not take an OG reading. Also, you do not need to let the sample warm up.

http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/32815-hydrometers-and-specific-gravity-101/?p=402245

Correct I didn't take a OG so i guess there's really no way of knowing what alcohol content I have. But the FG reading of 1.012 indicates it was OK to bottle, correct?

Thanks for the link to the thread and the video, the video was great.

yes, it's fine. the reason we say 3 weeks is, it guarantees the brew is done if you have no hydrometer. it was probably done a week earlier but why take chances?

yes, it's fine. the reason we say 3 weeks is, it guarantees the brew is done if you have no hydrometer. it was probably done a week earlier but why take chances?

So is there a value for the SP that indicates it's "safe" to bottle. Meaning that if hypothetically I was able to take a reading every day and at say 5 days it was at a SP of X it was done and safe to bottle? I'm not trying to excellarate the process, just understand it?

So is there a value for the SP that indicates it's "safe" to bottle. Meaning that if hypothetically I was able to take a reading every day and at say 5 days it was at a SP of X it was done and safe to bottle? I'm not trying to excellarate the process, just understand it?

It can be done fermenting as early as 10 days...but I wouldn't count on it. 12 it might done take 2 gravity readings 3 days apart if they ain't moved it's ready and your up to 15 days. So were really only lookin at 6 more days to allow the yeasts more time to "clean up" the brew. As stated, the 3 weeks is just a safety factor for those who don't have a hydrometer.  We all acknowledge the brew is probably done a week earlier. Heavy on the probably. If you set up a pipeline then the 3 weeks works quite well. by using 3 fermenters I set it up on a 3 week rotation. don't loose as much to samples this way, I only do 1 FG to establish where the brew "finished". So every week I have 1 batch come ready to drink(after the initial 4 week wait), 1 batch get bottled(opening a fermenter), and 1 batch get brewed. The big problem is not breaking GAs 50 gallon limit.

No, there isn't. Take FG twice, 48 hours apart and if it does not change then IF you are near your target then it is done. Target is ROUGHLY 25% of OG.

Correct I didn't take a OG so i guess there's really no way of knowing what alcohol content I have. But the FG reading of 1.012 indicates it was OK to bottle, correct?

Thanks for the link to the thread and the video, the video was great.

You are very welcome.

If you had a green apple taste when bottled, I would wait a full 4-6 weeks before you sample one. Give it time to condition and lose that cider taste. 18 days is a little short, but it was most likely done if it fermented 64-71 deg F. 

Although my first batch of Aztec has only been in the bottle 6 days I decided to try one of my pony bottles.

Appearance - Slight pressure release when opened. Poured into a glass, very little to no head, but some small bubbles from bottom of the glass. Nice golden color and good clarity. Slight layer of sediment in bottom of bottle.

Taste - The sweetness of the fermented wort has mellowed but is still present. The green apple aroma & taste is still very noticeable. Very mild carbonation noticeable when first tasted, flat within 10min. But overall I'd say very drinkable.

Next taste in a week or two.

While tasting weekly will teach you much, tasting at the end of only one week is pretty much wasting beer as you discovered.

• Like 2

While tasting weekly will teach you much, tasting at the end of only one week is pretty much wasting beer as you discovered.

I'm not sure I consider it wasting beer.

It was a 7oz pony bottle I used with this in mind, I drank it all even if it wasn't perfect, I already consider it better than Corona. And trying my first beer gave me a few moments of happiness  :)  :D  :) and a reason to brag a bit on FB. I will wait for the real drinking.

But to the learning much point. I have several other pony bottles that are intended to be tasters. How can I best use them to learn? I had 2 thoughts, put another pony bottle in the fridge at 1 week intervals, labeled as to when they went into the fridge. Then . . .

A ) try each a full day or 2 after they hit the fridge?

or

B ) wait till week 4 and then try all three at the same time, doing more of a side by side comparison?

I really do appreciate the feedback you can give.

My comment on wasting beer is that many, many have done the weekly tastes before you, and some of them have written about it on the forum - so if you take their word for it, you're only confirming what they all said - hence drinking beer that isn't ready for no reason.  ;)  If you brew in one liter bottles, by the time you're done comparing you've decimated your batch - but you were smart enough to use a 7 ounce bottle for that very reason.   That said, many do what you're doing to see for themselves anyway.   :lol:

If you want to truly compare them side by side, refrigerate one each week and make sure the last one waits 3 days.  The problem with this is that flavors will meld even in the frig, so it's not a true side-by-side.  If you drink one every week, you're relying on your recollection to compare the results.  Up to you.

• Like 1

Or you can take detailed notes in a journal.  But you're really relying on your pallet to be ultra refined to notice the difference on a weekly basis... You're not comparing 2 different beers from the same category... You're comparing the same beer that is only marginally different based off of 1 week of aging.

• Like 1

And trying my first beer gave me a few moments of happiness  :)  :D  :) and a reason to brag a bit on FB. I will wait for the real drinking.

Then it was totally worth "wasting" :-)

• Like 2

Absolutely,

From the first post sounded like a strong contingency plan for learning. I have read in other posts for newbies about the 1 week per bottle taste testing to discover the difference.

Take notes to provide a brief clarity in the next brewing adventure.

What works for me is tight ingredient measurements, temperatures, and following the rules (<1/3 adjunct to 2/3 HME) works.

Cheers

Saturday morning I put Pony bottle 2 & 3 in the fridge. Tonight I decided to do a side by side taste against LandShark, yea sorry to admit it but during the summer when it's hot LandShark is my go to beer.

So after14 days in the bottle, and 36 hours in the fridge I opened and poured bottle 3 into a glass. I also opened a bottle of LandShark and poured into a second glass.

Appearance - Nice realease of pressure when opened. The head has improved compared to day 6, but still not impressive. The beer was in the glass about 15 min until completely drank and I had small bubbles rising front the bottom the whole time.

Taste - Sweetness is gone. Green apple taste & smell almost completely gone, if I didn’t force myself to think about it I’m not sure I’d even notice it. However it did increased a bit as the beer warmed a bit in the glass. Very drinkable.

Comparison to a Landshark - Overall the Aztec is very very close in color, carbonation, clarity and taste. The LandShark is a bit smoother in the finish, and has a better head and lacing. Of course the clarity of the Landshark is superior to that of the Aztec, but the Aztec has very good clarity. Color wise the Aztec has a slightly more copper color that the LandShark. Over all I'd say these are so close that if I bottled the Aztec in a used LandShark bottle and gave it to someone without telling them it was something different I don't know if most people would realize they aren't drinking a LandShark.

I'm very pleased, and now very curious how the Aztec Deluxe will compare

Next taste in two weeks at which point I'll compare pony bottle #3 against bottle 4 which is being given 2 more weeks at 70

The deluxe will actually lighten the beer a tad and the give the beer a "heaviness" in the mouthfeel.  You're also increasing the abv by almost 33% so that should be noticed, too.

The deluxe will actually lighten the beer a tad and the give the beer a "heaviness" in the mouthfeel.

This is incorrect. The Deluxe will ADD body and color. It won't lighten it. The pale LME will add about 1 SRM to the color and increase the ABV by 1%.

It's funny because the website says "minimal effect on final color" then it says 1 SRM.  However, from my experience, the Pale generally reduces the color.  However, in this case, because Aztec is TWO(2) SRM, you're probably right.

But 3.1 to 4.0 is approx. 33% increase btw.

But 3.1 to 4.0 is approx. 33% increase btw.

I never disputed that.

Will you switch your avatar after tomorrow?

Yes.

yeah make it an Easter Bunny

Maybe.