Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
goforthz

Oktoberfest Beer flavor

Hello guys, I'm fermenting my second batch of beer (Oktoberfest with LME/DME) and 2.5 weeks into the fermentation process. I just sampled the Ocktoberfest in the fermenter, and have a few questions. I was surprised the beer was smooth, and almost "light' in its flavor. I expected a darker beer to have much more bitterness, and a bold, full-flavor. My beer tastes like a light beer, with a wheat smoothness. Is this normal? Will the flavor change during the conditioning process? I have been holding fermenter around 68*, and I used spring water. 

I appreciate everybody's advice.

Thanks

Zane 

Welcome...

Adding the LME/DME should increase the body of the beer, but remember that you will potentially need to add hops to counteract the addition of the malt.  I also don't judge any beers from a fermenter pull.  So much changes during conditioning and carbonation phases.  Brewing is a fine balance...  Enjoy, and keep us posted.

Welcome! I just drank my last liter of Deluxe Oktoberfest, which is the HME with an LME. It was a very smooth, dark beer with a malty flavor that warmed up as the beer warmed up. I actually liked it better the warmer it got. Just because beer is dark doesn't/shouldn't imply anything about the flavor or body. I think you will like it once it gets conditioned. Enjoy it for what is, not what you think it should be. Once you try it, then you can start formulating changes. I'm thinking of brewing it again as a Deluxe as I enjoyed it that much.

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks for the input. Personally, I enjoy a smoother beer, and like the taste of the Ocktoberfest's in the fermenter. I just expected the beer to taste more "hoppy" or bitter. This batch was brewed using the deluxe refill kit, so my batch has the LME softpack addition. 

Thanks Again.

The Oktoberfest is a very good HME and you did the right thing by adding some extra malt, as the standard refill is smaller. See how you like the beer after it conditions, and then decide if you want extra hops next time. 

The beer will continue to change over time. I like that hme. It's not extremely hoppy. If you are looking for that, I would see how this turns out after conditioning and add some noble hops the next time around.

If you check out commercial Oktoberfest beers, they do tend to be quite malty and not very hoppy. So this is not far off. You could steep some melanoidin and add of you want to make it more Oktoberfesty".  I had some in my last batch now conditioning.

I steeped my Octoberfest with Cascade and hopping for some fair results, found out the hard way it is a Lager.

I fermented on Ale guidelines. Studying recipies is a must I suppose.

Unless you changed yeast MrB puts under the cap, it is an ale. MrB plays fast and loose with the definition of a lager.

• Like 3

My first attempt at Oktoberfest resulted in a taste similar to New Castle Brown Ale! What did I do wrong? I just hope whatever it was I can duplicate it.

Unless you changed yeast MrB puts under the cap, it is an ale. MrB plays fast and loose with the definition of a lager.

Very fast and very loose.

My first attempt at Oktoberfest resulted in a taste similar to New Castle Brown Ale! What did I do wrong?

Some would say congratulations...

• Like 1

Spaten and HB Ocktoberfest are some of my favorite beers anywhere.  I have a can of MB Oktobefest that I will be getting to eventually (the que is growing longer all the time).  Any hints on which LME would push flavoring in that direction?  My local beer store sells Munich LME and I am almost tempted to buy some to try it out, strictly cause they marketed it property for someone like me thinking "Germany....Oktoberfest....Munich".  Probably dry hop some Saaz or Palisade, but won't be till early summer till LBK is free'd up to try.

If you like Newcastle Brown you are doing well :-)

My son buys different beers for me to try so I can see what I would like to learn to brew.  When he bought me the Newcastle Brown, it was love at first sip... Then when I opened my first Oktoberfest I was really surprised how similar the flavors were between the two... But, I'm very partial to a local beer from here in Missouri, Mothers, specifically the Winter Grind Coffee Stout..

That sounds good, we like the Newcastle Brown Ale quite a bit. I'm curious about the "Mothers" brand as I'm not sure if I've heard of it, here in southeast Missouri. That Stout sounds good too.

Thanks, Tony

• Like 1

Doesn't "Mother's" make care cleaning stuff?

mothersallproducts.jpg

Not the Mother's I'm thinking about. For a look at the brewery, go to www.mothersbrewing.com

That sounds good, we like the Newcastle Brown Ale quite a bit. I'm curious about the "Mothers" brand as I'm not sure if I've heard of it, here in southeast Missouri. That Stout sounds good too.

Thanks, Tony

Should have posted this with Vakko's post, but Mothers is in Springfield, MO.

I forgot to mention I also added 0.5 oz Tettnanger 7 min boil to the Oktoberfest.

At bottling it tasted more bitter than malty.   Although a sweetness on finish from the melanoidin.

Wow what a mother cleaning display. LOL

So the yeast determines wether we are in lager or ale mode. I love this site, it seems I pick up new guidelines and pointers each visit.

We are still drinking the first batch American Light and Looking forward to the next. From what I have read here about Ocktoberfest, My recipe plus minor adjustments will be the best.

Ohh Boyy iss dis Grreat!!!

• Like 2