Mr.Beer Community
brybry

Batch 2 suggestions

For batch 2 I was planning on Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner Deluxe. But after reading threads about the Aztec and improvements that can be made. As well as post about chaining one thing at a time I think it might be a better idea to start another Aztec batch with a single change.The problem is since batch 1 just went into the bottles yesterday I don't really have an existing point of reference for the change.

So more reading. Which brings me to the Aztec Mexican Cerveza Deluxe, is this too minor of a tweak to make a difference? I ask because when I read the flavor profile of both on the Mr. Beer page the only difference is the deluxe is listed as malty while the basic is listed as balanced. Everything else ABV, SRM & IBU are listed as the same. Is this what you more experienced brewers would expect?

Hey it's a place to start and staying with the cerveza you'll be able to taste what the changes do

So more reading. Which brings me to the Aztec Mexican Cerveza Deluxe, is this too minor of a tweak to make a difference? I ask because when I read the flavor profile of both on the Mr. Beer page the only difference is the deluxe is listed as malty while the basic is listed as balanced. Everything else ABV, SRM & IBU are listed as the same. Is this what you more experienced brewers would expect?

The deluxe is listed as "malty" because when adding the LME (which is unhopped) it will move the balance closer to the malty side rather than the hoppy side. Many people will add some hops to the boil to counter this, but it's not required. 

• Like 1

Aztec, Pale LME, and a 20 minute and a 5 minute Willamette boil sounds tasty

• Like 1

So my Batch 2 is Aztec Mexican Cerveza Deluxe. I prepared the wort on Wed evening about 9pm and just left the LBK sit on the kitchen counter the next day around 2pm I noticed the wort temp was up to 73 and I was starting to see a layer on top the wort and decided that I needed to move the LBK to my basement to bring the temp down a bit. So I carefully carried it down the steps and but it on a concrete ledge that runs all around the perimeter of my basement. Unfortunately I think i disturbed the layer on the top and I saw some of it floating in the wort. By 8pm that night the wort temp was down to about 62 and has stayed there ever since. It's now 3 full days after I scattered the yeast and there does appear to be signs of fermentation, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as vigorous as my first batch that I kept in a cooler in the kitchen.

​The air temp in the basement stays pretty consistent at 62. So do you think that air temp is too low or possibly since it's sitting on the concrete ledge it's acting as a heat sink and preventing the fermentation from getting going? I'm thinking about bringing it back upstairs.

Is there a layer of trub on the bottom?

Disturbing the layer is irrelevant.

Do you have a stick on thermometer yet?

Yes there is a very thin layer of trub. But what I think I disturbed was the foam or yeast on top. Although it does seem to be slowly rebuilding.

Yes I have a strip thermometer now that's what I'm using to say the wort temp has been holding at 62.

You said the air temp was 62...

Should be fine, ideally you would get it 2 degrees higher, but after 3 weeks you should be fine.

If you're worried about the heat sink, put something between them.

First batch I didn't take any notes, but I rember much more foam on top during fermentation, I think that's what got me worried.

I think I'll try and find a piece of wood or something to put on the concrete to give a little bit of a thermal break between that and the LBK.

First batch I didn't take any notes, but I rember much more foam on top during fermentation, I think that's what got me worried.

I think I'll try and find a piece of wood or something to put on the concrete to give a little bit of a thermal break between that and the LBK.

FWIW the amount of krauesen varies form batch to batch. As long as you got or had, sometimes it happens so fast you don't see the foam, krauesen your making beer.

This morning I found the top to a plastic storage bin and placed that on the concrete and the LBK on that. The way it is now theres about a 2 inch of airspace between the LBK and the concrete. Just checked and since making this change the wort is up to about 64. Still not a very vigorous fermentation, but the tub does seem to be increasing. 

Thanks for the advice, I think it's gonna be beer

• Like 1

For my batch 2 i did the Aztec Deluxe. Bottled it on 4/3.

On Wednesday evening 4/22 I did a side by side with a bottle from my first batch that was a straight Aztec. Wow I can't believe how much better the deluxe is at only 2 1/2 weeks conditioning than the straight Aztec is at 8 1/2 weeks.

​My next batch to taste will be a Porter deluxe that I bottled on 4/9. I added coffee at 2 different amounts in 3 bottles each. I think I want to let the coffee porters sit for another week or 2 but I think one of the plain porter deluxe will be hitting the fridge tonight. I can't wait.

• Like 1

You should also try to remember what you're tasting this early.  19 days, minus how much it was in the frig, is just not enough time.  You're barely over 2 weeks tonight on the Porter, to me that's like wasting beer but some lessons you've got to learn yourself as I see time and time again.  You don't want them to sit another week or two, you want at least 2 more, preferably 4.  

• Like 1