Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mcasselman

Smaller high krausen

Did the NW Pale again, but this time I added 0.5 oz cascade hops bagged at flame out and used water from steeped caramalt. I noticed the high krausen is smaller this time. Could just be this group of yeast, but was wondering if anyone has noticed this when adding hops at that point.

I been seeing this a lot over the last 2 years . Seems to have little effect on the final product. Yeast is a live thing. How it works from batch to batch varies. I would attach little, if any, attention to the krausen level variances.

• Like 1

Great, thanks. I have 2 other batches with hops added at same ponit and my fermenting closet smells fantastic when you open the door.

• Like 1

I've had my kit since 2012 and I've never had any LBK issues.

This morning, my wife wakes me up because the Chimay Blue I brewed last night was bubbling out of the top.

I've never used T-58 before but DAMN!!!  That was a lot of foam in 12 hours.

• Like 1

I hope enough is still yeast inside the LBK.  I don't want to resprinkle.

The past three batches I have brewed have not had a very tall high krausen and the beer turned out just fine. The next batch I plan on doing will now involve a CAL because it is coming with the new LBK i just purchased but I was planning on trying a more malty recipe which has the warning about over flowing the LBK if temps are not correct. I am still going to shoot for that as my next brew endeavor though. 

ive had different batches using the same yeast behave differently. one was a volcano of krausen that spewed out the carboy. the other was a slow simmer that generated at most half an inch of krausen. yeast are living critters. high krausen size probably means nothing other than overly happy yeast. it is more important that you HAVE krausen than how tall it gets.