Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bullitt4089

Booster

I would not but....here is more info. The link has the industrial process.

Mr B says

"Use Booster™ to add alcohol and body to any recipe without the dry, cidery taste that comes from using sugar. Each pouch of Booster™ adds about 1.3% abv per batch.

Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids, and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that is designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins"

It is corn sugar so I suppose you could, if you got your own raw corn and squeezed the juice out, and then converted the starch to sugar, and boiled it down. I think the processing needs to be at right conditions too.(see link below).

I would not unless just for the challenge. I have no idea what sugar combination home made would be, or even how to test to see. 

I suppose you could try doing same as with making barley malt, allow the corn to germinate and then roast and grind and soak it.

I made some of my own maple syrup once just for the challenge. It tasted OK but was not worth the effort.

I guess you could substitute colorless corn syrup - (not high fructose) 

Both that and the solids are cheap enough in volume so.....

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Corn-Syrup.html

• Like 1

There are a lot of ways to boost I suppose.

My first chat session with coopers resulted in reccomendation of adding 1 cup of corn sugar to the HME while heating. Some Mr. beer recipies are beginners blend that shows flavor possibilities with low ABV (alcohol by volume).

There are favorable ways with more complex recipies that make brewing more interesting. to get more bang in your beer I use LME with corn surgar staying within our guidelines of no more than 1/3 adjuncts to 2/3 HME.

There is powdered alcohol but what is the point of enjoying beer if all that is required is intoxication.

Some are adding Liquor @ bottling time which is not favorable in my book.

I like Beer

• Like 1

You can make a reasonable facsimile of booster with some 80% corn sugar and 20% maltodextrin, both available at your LHBS.  Some even sell the mixture already put together for you, usually for about $2 for a 13 ounce bag.

• Like 2

Ohh He!!!! Yeaaa,

by Jim

My  red solo cup is empty, be right back.

• Like 3

I only think about you, when I'm drunk  is hilarious!!!

when the  instructions say to add booster slowly, I know y now! didn't read that part til after I dumped the whole pack at once lol!

• Like 2

when the  instructions say to add booster slowly, I know y now! didn't read that part til after I dumped the whole pack at once lol!

I can't remember if it's easier to mix cold or warm  :huh:

well I added it all at once into boiled water it turned into a sticky lump of GLUB!, suppose to add to cool water then bring to a boil and stir, I think I might try that next time

I've found that either too cold or too hot water will cause the booster to lump up more. Best luck I've always had is dissolving it in lukewarm water and then heating it up more. It's always going to lump somewhat, but with a little patience, slow heating, and stirring, it will always dissolve eventually.

• Like 4

Agree with Joe, put into boiling it clogs. My best is to put it in just warm and stir as it is warming to boil. As long as you stir it will dissolve and not burn.

Found this on a Cooper's site.

So this gives composition of Boosters - not sure which of the Coopers Brew Enhancer = Mr. Beer booster but it shows the idea.

What is the difference between Brewing Sugar, Brew Enhancer 1, etc?

• printButton.png
  • emailButton.png

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt

Dextrose - 100% dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

Ohh He!!!! Yeaaa,

by Jim

My  red solo cup is empty, be right back.

How did he have it play in the comment like that? I keep trying but apparently I'm an idiot. So learn me something. Timba, his arms wide...give me more about posting videos

DME dumplings... I finally stopped getting those.  I add to warm water as I'm bring to a boil but way before steaming (steam will create dumplings before it hits the water.  I add as fast as possible in a circular motion and stir continuously.  Any lumps/ dumplings that form I break up on the side up the pot as I'm stirring.  I find this is best done before adding anything else so the water is fairly clear and I can see stuff and junk.

DME dumplings... I finally stopped getting those.  I add to warm water as I'm bring to a boil but way before steaming (steam will create dumplings before it hits the water.  I add as fast as possible in a circular motion and stir continuously.  Any lumps/ dumplings that form I break up on the side up the pot as I'm stirring.  I find this is best done before adding anything else so the water is fairly clear and I can see stuff and junk.

When I was using DME regular I would add it when the water got to around 140. Not so much steam, so dumplings were kept to a minimum.

Adding DME to warm water is OK. Hot water?  TERRIBLE IDEA.

Basically, DME and booster should both be added to luke warm water.

Q:  But if I only used some of my DME during my boil, how do I add more now that the water is hot?

A:  Pour your DME into a separate container with top-off brewing water.  Once mixed, add that to your wort.

Found this on a Cooper's site.

So this gives composition of Boosters - not sure which of the Coopers Brew Enhancer = Mr. Beer booster but it shows the idea.

What is the difference between Brewing Sugar, Brew Enhancer 1, etc?

• printButton.png
  • emailButton.png

Light Dry Malt - 100% light dry malt

Dextrose - 100% dextrose

Brewing Sugar - 80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt

I'd guess the Mr Beer Booster is the 80% dextrose, 20 maltodextrin

Why guess.  It's on the Mr. Beer website.  

Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids, and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that is designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.

• Like 1

Soo it is :-D.

I note the 20% dextrins. So adding 2.5 oz malto-dextrin will have the same head retention effect without adding APV. Good to know as a relative measure.

Soo it is :-D.

I note the 20% dextrins. So adding 2.5 oz malto-dextrin will have the same head retention effect without adding APV. Good to know as a relative measure.

I plan on picking up a whole bunch of dextrin for my extract brewing before moving as I am not sure if I will have a good source for steeping grains nor will I have the time.

I go mine by mail order because I was mot sure what I was getting and I did not want a huge amount of useless stuff on hand. I believe you can get it in bulk at health food or body building stores. I guess one has to be careful that it is only what you need not other strange ingredients too - or you might get "Frankenbeer" :D

Dextrin is supposed not to impact taste, but I do seem to have been getting a bit of cidery sweetness from the brews I use it in, and I only use only 4 TBS at that.

I don't remember getting that from Booster.

Dextrin is not sweet, nor does it add cidery flavors. That would be sugar. Be sure you're not confusing dextrin with dextrose.