Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sammytheattackbasset

Dark specks floating in beer poured out of fermenter

Second batch of beer as been in the LBK for three weeks now. I ordered the mexican style refill. I've been trying to keep the temp above 68 as best I can but it's been really cold here in Arkansas these past few weeks. I poured some out into a glass earlier and noticed a few dark colored specks floating around in the glass. The taste didn't seem too bad, a little green and a little more bitterness than the first american style light beer that came with the kit, the beer that came with the kit was only an HME and didn't seem to have much taste when done. It wasn't bad just not much flavor, which I guess is normal for light beers. This refill I order an LME to go along with the HME. Does anybody know what these specks could be? Did I ruin my beer?

I've done some research on the dark specks. I think the most likely cause is I mixed my HME and LME into the boiled water while it was too hot, basically I burnt my extract. I've found other home brew forums online and this seems to be the most likely cause in my case.

I don't think you have to be worried about keeping the temp above 68 in the LBK. I've been keeping mine around 64 and it's doing great. The bottles you'll want to keep a little warmer.

• Like 1

I ferment at 65, don't know what the dark specks are but I see them in mine from time to time. they don't seem to impact the flavor or storability at all.

• Like 1

I ferment at 65, don't know what the dark specks are but I see them in mine from time to time. they don't seem to impact the flavor or storability at all.

So a few dark specks floating around is not something you would worry about?

I don't worry about 'em, I just drink 'em down with the ale. Like I said I been seeing them off and on.  They ain't hurt me over the last 2 years.  Don't anticipate any change 

• Like 1

I am guessing that the dark specs were in a sample that you took right from the LBK. My first impression is that they must be very small, as they were able to flow from the spigot and did not clog it. Did you thoroughly clean the LBK and spigot from your last batch? Sounds like some debris left over on the inside of the spigot or keg. Or, as you already said, it could be from the boiled HME. Most likely it won't kill you, just unsightly.

• Like 1

I am guessing that the dark specs were in a sample that you took right from the LBK. My first impression is that they must be very small, as they were able to flow from the spigot and did not clog it. Did you thoroughly clean the LBK and spigot from your last batch? Sounds like some debris left over on the inside of the spigot or keg. Or, as you already said, it could be from the boiled HME. Most likely it won't kill you, just unsightly.

I cleaned my keg throughly so I don't think that's it. Yes the specks were very small, flat irregular flecks is guess would good way of discribing it.

could be anything:

scortched material from pan bottom that got in the lbk

collapsed krausen crud that never fully sank to the bottom

hop debris

don't worry about 'em. the only reason you don't see 'em in commercial beer is they filter the crap out of 'em