Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brybry

SodaStream vrs Bottle conditioning for carbonation

It's a Friday, I'm at work and I'm board.

I just had this crazy thought could you use a SodaStream to instantly carb your beer after fermentation? Has anyone ever done this? Yea I know the bottle conditioning is for more that just carbonation, just curious if anyones tried it and it work?

I've got a SodaStream and enjoy what I make with it.  I'd be lying if I said I never considered using it to carbonate my beer, but I quickly discarded it as a bad idea on so many levels.  Even if it worked, bottle conditioning is so important to making a quality homebrew.

• Like 4

To expand on my earlier reply, when making soda with this product you carbonate the water first, then add the flavoring.  There's always a reaction when the syrup hits the carbonated water, which makes me wonder what might happen if you what you carbonated was more than just water ... for example, wort.  Seems like it could go bad in a hurry.  I'll pass, thank you.

If you chilled your wort in the pot, then poured it into your LBK, you would know exactly how much water you would need to get to 8.5L.

Divide that evenly among bottles that would have equal amount of space for wort to into it at the correct ratio.

For example, if your wort was 1L then you would need 7.5L of water.  That would mean 10 1L bottles filled with 750mL of water and 100ml of wort.  You could then carbonate that 750mL, then add your wort!

I think this could be a viable option for IPLs.  The carbonation time takes longer than the actual needed conditioning time.

Like I said Friday afternoon musings. I was thinking it might be like a mini Kegerator but I have neither a Kegerator or a Sodastream.

So what to the guys do that use a Kegerator, do they drink green beer?

The beer conditions in the keg... Nothing replaces TIME.

You can find lots of forums about kegging.

• Like 1

I keg and I natural prime my kegs. Essentially they're big bottles, takes them 4 weeks(longer with higher gravity brews). You can "force prime" if you have the equipment to do so. I have been told your brew is ready to drink in just a week or 2 and it's not green. I don't know how that could be, but I do not doubt the sources. Maybe it's cause with out the priming sugar to eat the yeast cleans up the brew quicker, That make any sense to y'all?

I keg and I natural prime my kegs. Essentially they're big bottles, takes them 4 weeks. You can "force prime" if you have the equipment to do so. I have been told your brew is ready to drink in just a week or 2 and it's not green. I don't know how that could be, but I do not doubt the sources. Maybe it's cause with out the priming sugar to eat the yeast cleans up the brew quicker, That make any sense?

Yes.

My brother uses a soda stream to sample his when he has a batch ready to bottle, after a secondary fermentation. He claims it works great, never tried one myself though.