Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BDawg62

Irish Moss

I have used Irish moss in my last couple of extract batches by adding it (dry) into the last 15 minutes of the boil. Then I was reading somewhere, can't remember where, that you should rehydrate it before adding to the boil. I suppose that this can't hurt, but is it necessary?

When I use it (at my local brew-on-premises shop), it's added dry to the boil usually with the second hop addition about 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

If you are using extract what is the benefit of using Irish moss or whirfloc?

If you are using super moss, you have to rehydrate with wort. If you are using regular Irish moss, you don't. It will be on the instructions if you need to.

Helps clear protein haze

How much Irish Moss would be used for a lbk batch?

Like with many things, the directions are on the product.   ;)   1 teaspoon per 5 gallons.  LBK is 2.13 gallons, so 2.13/5 = 0.43 teaspoons, call it 1/2.  Jim hit it on the head.  https://storefront.ldcarlson.com/storefrontCommerce/itemDetail.do?item-id=2912&order-quantity=1&item-index=0&customer-item=6109A&order-uom=&warehouse-id=2&item-number=6109A

It would benefit exactly the same as using it for an all-grain batch.

• Like 1

FYI Whirlfloc and Irish Moss are the same thing, just one is pressed into a tablet.  I generally use 1/2 tablet for a 5 gallon batch.

• Like 4

In addition to the success with beer clarity, I was sold on always using Irish Moss when I read it helps with beer stability. After brewing a certain number of batches, I have enough in my closet that I have a variety of styles to enjoy with several months of conditioning. The stability comes from the same source as the clarity: removal of particulates. I use 1/2 tsp in a 2 to 2.5 gallon batch.