Mr.Beer Community
brybry

Belgiam Spiced Christmas Ale

Just placed an order and added 2 of the Belgiam Spiced Christmas Ale, I couldn't resist at $12 each.  So my question will this be anything like a Mad Elf?

I popped my first one open yesterday. Lemme say no short on spice flavor. Was a punch in the face when i had my first taste. Def dark. Hoping the spices calm down with age but if u wanted warm spiced brew.....this one is a home run.

• Like 1

brybry, I was thinking the same thing. I bought 2 as well. Going to brew one without any changes. The other I was going to add cherries and honey to see if it would be close to Mad Elf.

I popped my first one open yesterday. Lemme say no short on spice flavor. Was a punch in the face when i had my first taste. Def dark. Hoping the spices calm down with age but if u wanted warm spiced brew.....this one is a home run.

The spices on mine calmed down some with age. I let this one warm up before I drink it, seems to taste better that way for me. Not that it is bad cold, but better warmer.

on my next Belgian brew gonna do a chamay blue, but dnt have all the ingredients and all my lbk's are being used. so I guess ill have to wait. just finished a fat tire clone today cant wait for that!

• Like 3

on my next Belgian brew gonna do a chamay blue, but dnt have all the ingredients and all my lbk's are being used. so I guess ill have to wait. just finished a fat tire clone today cant wait for that!

This is my favorite beer, let me know how your Chimay turns out!

This is my favorite beer, let me know how your Chimay turns out!

Bottling the Chimay Friday night after work.  It's been in the fridge since Tuesday night.  Going to have a quick sample taste before it all disappears for the next tasting in 8 weeks!

I don't know all that much about Chimay, but was out last night and they had Chimay Red on tap. I tried one, and then another and wanted a couple of more but my wallet and aversion to a DUI limited me to 2.

So will this Belgian Spiced Ale come out anything like a Chimay Red? Or can it be bugged in that direction?

The HME by itself is decently close to Chimay Red already.  If anything, you could a pale LME to reduce the overall bitterness and bring abv into that 7% range.

If you really wanted to make closer version of Red, I would start off with different ingredients to line up the hop aromas, use the candi sugar, and dial in the stats to be almost dead on.

The Chimay I'm botting tomorrow is Blue, btw.

• Like 2

I've brewed 10 Mr. Beer products since last April. ALL of them have turned out very good. I got rave reviews from a group that tried five of them at a Christmas party. So I had to brew some more. I just tried my first Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale about a week ago. The BEST I've brewed so far. It took me almost a whole hour to drink one 22 oz bottle. I didn't want to finish it! And it was the only one I had chilled. I have to say--it got better as it reached room temperature. I've got three more cans of it. I'll brew up another batch this weekend. That way I'll start a supply line of just this one brew.

Thanks Mr. Beer. Great hobby. Sorry I was so late to the dance though.

• Like 2

I have to say--it got better as it reached room temperature.

I've read that Belgian ales are best served at around 55F.

The HME by itself is decently close to Chimay Red already.  If anything, you could a pale LME to reduce the overall bitterness and bring abv into that 7% range.

If you really wanted to make closer version of Red, I would start off with different ingredients to line up the hop aromas, use the candi sugar, and dial in the stats to be almost dead on.

The Chimay I'm botting tomorrow is Blue, btw.

You're bottling tomorrow? That's great news, let us know how it turns out

You're bottling tomorrow? That's great news, let us know how it turns out

I'm sure it will be just flat beer but I'm hoping that its a rich, creamy and complex but green.

I started the Belgian Spiced Ale today.  I used refrigerated water and the wort was at 64 degrees F when I put it in the basement.  The instructions call for 59 to 75.  Do you still ferment this specialty brew closer to 59 or is mid 60s a good temperature for the T-58? I also used the hydrometer for the first time and come up with an OG = 1.058!  Does this sound fairly close?

I thought t-58 was a WARM fermenter..... closer to 75-79????????????

T-58 has a wide temperature range and will create different flavors/aromas depending on what temp is used. That's one of the reasons I love this yeast - it gives you versatility and creative control. When fermenting at lower temps, it exhibits spicy characteristics, but at higher temps it will produce a lot of fruity esters. So depending on what you're making or what kind of flavors/aromas you want in your beer will determine what temperature you ferment the T-58 at.

• Like 1

I started one off today, not sure how warm I can get it, probably only about 70-72  ambient.

The last one I did using T-58 was at 76F and the banana tones were quite pleasant and tasty.

It should be ready for the bottle on Sunday. It's fermented for three weeks between 61 and 64 the entire time, but I will need to check the FG Friday evening and then again Sunday morning to make sure it is finished. Is there really a need to check the FG after three weeks unless you just want to know the ABV?

Only to make sure it hasn't stalled at a high level.  Happened to me once.  I check at day 18, if it is close to what I expected, then I cold crash and then bottle.

• Like 1

Only to make sure it hasn't stalled at a high level.  Happened to me once.  I check at day 18, if it is close to what I expected, then I cold crash and then bottle.

This may be a really dumb question, but If it has stalled at a high level, is it feasible to add yeast and let it go another three weeks? I do not believe that will be an issue as I watched it the first 3 or 4 days and the yeast went pretty wild those first several days.

No.  Sitting on the yeast cake for 6 weeks would cause off-flavors.  Very rare to stall out.

• Like 2

This may be a really dumb question, but If it has stalled at a high level, is it feasible to add yeast and let it go another three weeks? I do not believe that will be an issue as I watched it the first 3 or 4 days and the yeast went pretty wild those first several days.

If you're using a hydrometer, you don't need to go 3 weeks.  You need to go until you hit on/around your target.

I've read that if your mash temp was too high, you might have a lot more unfermentable sugars that will keep your FG a lot higher than expected.

• Like 3

Today was day 18 so I took the FG and it was 1.022... Starting at 1.062, it looks like I'm at 5.25%... Still a little low compared to the estimated ABV of 6.5%, but OMG it had a great taste.  I think I could honestly forget about the extra one percent and cold crash it now... Would you check it again in 2-3 days or maybe just leave it another week to see if the FG is lower...

BTW, what is "Belgiam?"

Did the OP create a new mash-up word from Belgium and Belgian?

The spices on mine calmed down some with age. I let this one warm up before I drink it, seems to taste better that way for me. Not that it is bad cold, but better warmer.

I start my spiced christmas ale in 10 days, glad to know it's a tasty brew. My question is; I'll be ready to bottle about mid May. If I let it bottle condition until say mid November is that enough time to let all the flavors settle out? 

I start my spiced christmas ale in 10 days, glad to know it's a tasty brew. My question is; I'll be ready to bottle about mid May. If I let it bottle condition until say mid November is that enough time to let all the flavors settle out? 

I would hope so.

By default, most beers should be conditioned within 3 months max.  And that's for huge beers.  However, really complex malts can take much longer.  If it's not CAL or an IPA, keep it out of the fridge until you're 3 days from drinking it.

• Like 1

I am going to brew a couple of batches of this tomorrow possibly.

Considering when to add the spices to one of them, does anyone have the proper brewing directions for the original recipe? (link)

The chimay blue from vakko is noted for success and preferred but with minor tweaks in hops and total HME.

Thanks

I got a couple of mine left from brewing last Oct. they are still good. I'm planning to brew them in June so they'll be 6 months old on Christmas day. (ought to be a great "cup of cheer")

• Like 1

I started my Belgian Spiced Ale on the 4th OG 1.061, just took a reading tonight 22nd and it's at 1.022 that's only 5.2% the website says 6.5% ABV. I'll take another reading in 2 or 3 days and see where it's at, but I was expecting it to be a little further along at 18 days. I pitched into 72 degree wort and then put the LBK in my basement wort temp was at 64 to 66 the next morning and then down to 62 by about day 3 and for the rest of the time. Do you think it's done or am I likely to get a few more points?

On another note I drank the sample afterward, damn that's a good beer, I'm glad I bought 6 of these!

brybry, I just finished this one up.  My OG was 1.063, and FG after three weeks at 70F was 1.023, putting me at 5.2% abv as well.

• Like 1

I Brewed 1 of my Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale today,

Rich and Hearty Malt, 1lb pilsner lme, 0.75 liberty boil @ 10 min. with 1 cup Corn Sugar  OG 2.00 Yeast pitch @ 70^ now residing @ 68^ Wort Temp. I threw in the spice bag while hopping, never did find the directions for this recipe.

I am expecting an 8 week carb time.

I finally used a cooking thermometer when sampling temps on the stove and yeast pitch along with other brewing techniques learned on the site. Now have a bit more patients and techniques are becoming habits.

Thanks

I Brewed 1 of my Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale today,

Rich and Hearty Malt, 1lb pilsner lme, 0.75 liberty boil @ 10 min. with 1 cup Corn Sugar  OG 2.00 Yeast pitch @ 70^ now residing @ 68^ Wort Temp. I threw in the spice bag while hopping, never did find the directions for this recipe.

I am expecting an 8 week carb time.

I finally used a cooking thermometer when sampling temps on the stove and yeast pitch along with other brewing techniques learned on the site. Now have a bit more patients and techniques are becoming habits.

Thanks

I did something similar but it was .5oz hallertau @10min and 1lb wheat dme.  It was officially on CC as of yesterday morning.  So it should be ready for bottling on Saturday.  That means I will be brewing on Sunday!

Thanks again, Rick.  Google calendar keeps me organized.