Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mcasselman

Temp to Pitch Mr Beer yeast

What is the recommended wort temp to pitch Mr Beer yeast? Lowest to highest.

Following the directions... If you follow them, temp is fine. If you don't, it is not.

In another thread, you stated you follow the directions, and that all 6 batches came out the same temp. You noted a different brand of yeast has different instructions. Yup, just like different brands of everything...

To be clear, if you follow the Mr. Beer directions, using cold tap water, everything is fine. If you refigerate the water, it is still fine.

When using other yeasts, they have different directions. The rehydrate vs not discussion is ages old, you won't find a definitive answer. The aerate vs not discussion is the same. All are discussed in many posts.

If you want definitive rules, you picked the wrong hobby (see post in my signature). It is really hard to screw up beer, so variations of rules usually don't cause issues.

I aerate, pitch, wait 15 minutes and aerate again. When I make my 5 gal batches and split them, I cool the wort to 95-100 and with a gallon of refrigerated water, plus refrigerated top off water, I end up at 60 to 64. If it is too cold, it warms up so no issues.

Edited by RickBeer

Following the directions... If you follow them, temp is fine. If you don't, it is not.

In another thread, you stated you follow the directions, and that all 6 batches came out the same temp. You noted a different brand of yeast has different instructions. Yup, just like different brands of everything...

To be clear, if you follow the Mr. Beer directions, using cold tap water, everything is fine. If you refigerate the water, it is still fine.

When using other yeasts, they have different directions. The rehydrate vs not discussion is ages old, you won't find a definitive answer. The aerate vs not discussion is the same. All are discussed in many posts.

If you want definitive rules, you picked the wrong hobby (see post in my signature). It is really hard to screw up beer, so variations of rules usually don't cause issues.

I aerate, pitch, wait 15 minutes and aerate again. When I make my 5 gal batches and split them, I cool the wort to 95-100 and with a gallon of refrigerated water, plus refrigerated top off water, I end up at 60 to 64. If it is too cold, it warms up so no issues.[/quote)

I agree with all you said. I asked because the solution to my flavor issues was that maybe I pitched to high. Believe me, I am a rule / direction follower. Do not know how I could have pitched to high. I only posted the fermentis excerpt because someone said to pitch below the fermentaton temperature, yet the mfg. said not to in that instance. Just have to admit other than slight differences in bitterness, they have all tasted the same. Have moved on to steeping grains in 5 gallon 60 minute boil batches, so I will see how it goes. I learned a lot over the last 4 months and 15 mr beer batches. Hopefully the rest of my mr beer batches condition well.

I guess I am just frustrated that after 4 months, I still have not had a beer that tasted good (in my opinion) and yet I followed the directions. And like you said Rick, it is hard to screw up making beer, but somehow I feel I have. I think I just expected more. Oh well, time will tell.

It just could be you don't like the HMEs you've bought. I do not know what you have bought but the craft series should get you a beer you like. What styles of beer do you like?(don't give brand names, give styles i.e. IPAs)  It is also equally possible you have a problem with HME's period and may have to start brewing with UMEs, hops and yeast to make a brew you like. Read http://howtobrew.com/ a good place to start learning how to do that and more.(even has an extract recipe for a cream ale) Like Rick said it's hard to screw up a beer.

I have bought every hme they sell. I prefer ipa's and have been drinking all craft beers for many many years now. I now have a closet full of conditioning mr beer. My most recent beers that hit the 4 week condition point was the diablo ipa, nw pale, seasonal dopplebock. Strangely they all tasted very very similar except ipa was slightly hoppier (only in bitterness, not flavor or aroma). I know the dopplebock will take longer to condition due to higher OG, but I was curious.

I think I just get a "sweetness" from the beers that just throws me off I guess

I just made my 3rd 5 gallon lme / hops and steeped grains batche this past weekend. To be fair I just do not think the hme's work for my taste buds. I also enjoy the full process.

I have bought every hme they sell. I prefer ipa's and have been drinking all craft beers for many many years now. I now have a closet full of conditioning mr beer. My most recent beers that hit the 4 week condition point was the diablo ipa, nw pale, seasonal dopplebock. Strangely they all tasted very very similar except ipa was slightly hoppier (only in bitterness, not flavor or aroma). I know the dopplebock will take longer to condition due to higher OG, but I was curious.

I just made my 3rd 5 gallon lme / hops and steeped grains batche this past weekend. To be fair I just do not think the hme's work for my taste buds. I also enjoy the full process.

I combine both processes.  I do hop schedules and use HME's.  There's no perfect way to make beer.  There's only really bad ones.  Other than severely infected beer, "bad" is opinion based.

Sounds like your ready to up your game.