Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SteveT

Refill expiration date

I have two refil kits and I noticed that the expiration dates on the can bottoms read July 2014 and the other is Sept 2014. Both are in the fridge are they still good?

Thanks

If the can ain't bulging or leaking in all probability the only issue you'll have is it'll be darker than expected.

If the can ain't bulging or leaking in all probability the only issue you'll have is it'll be darker than expected.

^^^^This

And hop aroma might have faded.

• Like 1

Which is more likely the problem? the hme or the yeast? I found a can of cal today in my supply that expired feb 26. Was planning to make the santa catalina pale ale recipe thursday which uses a cal and a american ale hme and both yeast packets. The american ale is far from expired. Would the ale being good help save the cal? If the yeast is in question, i have a spare yeast packet...would i do any harm by pitching a 3rd yeast packet?

the most likely problem will be color. the loss of IBUs will be slight at best. Now, I would replace the yeast, and use the old yeast as nutrient.

3 yeast packets in a 2.13 gallon pack would be excessive. Date is right on the packet, if it is 2 years old it's fine, 3 even if it was stored cold.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll try the sep dated one and toss the July. Being in Oregon I'll bet there are lots of brew supply places in Salem. Thanks again.

Unless the oldest one was stored in a garage or attic, I'd brew it, too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll try the sep dated one and toss the July. Being in Oregon I'll bet there are lots of brew supply places in Salem. Thanks again.

When boiling the water, you can add the expired yeast to the hot water and let boil for 5-10 minutes.  It will act as a yeast nutrient.  In many cases I do just that even if the yeast is not expired since I tend to use my own yeast for many batches.

I just tasted a Aztec that expired early 2014, it was absolutely fine. I got it off of amazon, which I will avoid from now on, just to be on the safe side, get from mrbeer (free shipping weekends help), or a vendor where you can see exp date. 

Got an Oktoberfest in the LBK I got online as well (same time as the Aztec) we will see what it tastes like, the exp date was also early 2014. 

I did the yeast nutrient boil to my brew on thursday and pitched 2 yeast packets. Happy to see high krausen saturday so all should be good i hope.

I did the Aztec with Octoberfest mix from Amazon, One was expiring so I brewed both in different LBKs of course.

Lesson learned, fortunately they are great, just put a 4 pack of each into the fridge after week 5 carb. Hopping each was my friend.

Liberty and Cascade are superb on these. Wonderful blend and I am starting to dis like the taste of the budget light I have been drinking for years.

Amazon, Ebay and the swap meet (flea market) you should attempt to contact the seller for expatriation dates.

Cheers

I started a 1776 yesterday using a HME with best used by of Mar 2014. No bulges on can, looked good, tasted good,  should make good beer. I would not chuck unless bulging or leaking. Taste is more important than color.