Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

Midas Touch

I bought a couple of bottles yesterday of MIdas Touch by Dogfish Head Brewery.  It's a strange beer that is supposedly based on a 2500+ year recipe determined by King MIdas' tomb.  Anyway, the Midas Touch is an ale.  The label says it's with barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron.  It's 9% ABV.

Could something like this be made in our LBK?  I expect that the recipe would be something like 2 HMEs, honey and some grape juice concentrate.

But have any of you tried grape juice in a beer?  25 years ago I made several 5 gallon batches of wine and that's a 6 month fermentation process with what I assume is a different type of yeast.  I don't know why we ferment beer 3 weeks while wine takes 6 months.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/midas-touch.htm

• Like 1

sumone told me to try that " Lucky Buddha", YUCK! even when its ice cold still tastes like pulled grass out of my yard with a hint of worm dirt..... no telling what those Chinese put in their beer, but u gotta say, their bottles are pretty cool looking

Yah, it could be made.

Midas Touch
Midas Touch

RecipeMidas TouchStyleGeneric Ale
BrewerVakkoBatch2.13 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity1.095 OGEstimated FG1.024 FG
Recipe Bitterness11 IBUAlcohol by Volume9.2%
Recipe Color6° SRMAlcohol by Weight7.2%

Ingredients

QuantityGrainTypeUse
1.65 lbMr. Beer BrewMax Golden - LMEExtractExtract
0.93 lbOregon Fruit - GrapesGrainOther
1.50 lbHoneySugarOther
1.87 lbMr. Beer/Coopers Bavarian WeissbierExtractExtract
QuantityHopTypeTime
1.00 ozMr. Beer/Coopers Bavarian WeissbierPellet5 minutes
QuantityMiscNotes
1.00 unitSafbrew T-58 Dry Ale YeastYeastTemperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS
1.00 unitSaffronOther

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

• Like 3

Thanks, Vakko.  I may try that someday.  Midas Touch isn't a beer I like that much though.  My brother, who's 2000 miles away loves it.

wow! vaddko what recipe don't u have? very impressive! when I win the mega lottery which should be soon, we'll start a franchise bar&grill where u can choose frm 100,000 different kind of beers! I always wanted to open my own pub, where I was the only customer and if I got too drunk, I could throw myself out of the bar!

wow! vaddko what recipe don't u have? very impressive! when I win the mega lottery which should be soon, we'll start a franchise bar&grill where u can choose frm 100,000 different kind of beers! I always wanted to open my own pub, where I was the only customer and if I got too drunk, I could throw myself out of the bar!

LOL I don't have those recipes in my bag.  I just create them.  It's an artful science of adjustments.

• Like 1

I brewed a beer last year that was somewhat like Vakko's, and at first was disappointed that it didn't have quite the character that I expected. But then among all the beers that I gave to friends at Christmas, that got more specific compliments than any other. So, I will be making a couple of changes and brewing it again. One of the beauties of homebrewing is that with a bit of experience, you can make your beers what you want them to be.

• Like 1

I love me some Dogfish Head. Theobroma is another really good one that's based on an ancient beer recipe. BTW, if you want to add the hops yourself (there ain't much), here's the Midas Touch recipe from Sam Calagione's book "Extreme Brewing". Adjust quantitites according to fermenter capacity.

INGREDIENTS

Preboil
6 gallons (23 L) water
Boil
8 pounds (3.6 kg) light liquid malt extract (75 minutes) (or 5.5 pounds [2.5 kg] light dry malt extract)
2 pounds (900 g) clover honey (75 minutes)
1/4 ounce (7 g) Simcoe hops (60 minutes)
10 Saffron threads (End of boil)
Fermentation
White Labs WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 ale yeast or Safale US-05
1 quart (1 L) White Muscat grape juice concentrate (3 days)
Bottling
5 ounces (140 g) priming sugar
STARTING GRAVITY: 1.086
FINAL GRAVITY: 1.026
FINAL TARGET ABV: 9%
IBUS: 12

PROCESS
1. In a brew kettle, heat 6 gallons (23 L) of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add light malt extract and honey. Return to a boil.
2. After 15 minutes, add Simcoe hops. Boil for 60 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add saffron threads and swirl contents of kettle to create a whirlpool.
4. Cool the wort and rack to a fermenter leaving as much of the solids behind in the kettle as possible. (It’s okay to get some of the sediment into the fermenter as it is beneficial to yeast health.)
5. Pitch the cooled wort with a fairly neutral ale yeast and ferment at around 68°F to 71°F (20°C–22°C). “Rock the baby” to aerate the wort.
6. After the most vigorous fermentation subsides (about 3 days), add the White Muscat grape juice concentrate. Rock the baby again.
7. Ferment for 5 to 7 more days then rack to secondary fermenter. Allow beer to condition for 12 to 14 days.
8. Before bottling, clean and sanitize bottles and caps and create a priming solution of 1 cup (235 ml) boiling water and priming sugar. Siphon beer into a sterilized bottling bucket, add the water-diluted priming solution, and gently stir. Bottle and cap beer. Beer will be ready to drink in about 2 weeks.
  • Like 2

BTW, I don't think there's any beer that can't be made in an LBK. I've been trying to prove that by using them exclusively rather than a larger bucket or carboy.

Thanks for the recipes, guys.  I'm not ready for AG yet, but I saved the recipe, Gerry.   Vakko, I'll have to get an order together and try the recipe you put together.

I just started using Qbrew, so I'm adding recipes to/with it.  I put the Aventinus recipe of Josh's into it, and my OG was within 0.001 of what it calculated.  Yee haw!

• Like 2

BTW, I don't think there's any beer that can't be made in an LBK. I've been trying to prove that by using them exclusively rather than a larger bucket or carboy.

Nope, a fermenter is a fermenter.  All have their pros and cons, but all make beer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recipes, guys.  I'm not ready for AG yet, but I saved the recipe, Gerry.   Vakko, I'll have to get an order together and try the recipe you put together.

I just started using Qbrew, so I'm adding recipes to/with it.  I put the Aventinus recipe of Josh's into it, and my OG was within 0.001 of what it calculated.  Yee haw!

No, that is strictly an extract recipe but with a full boil.  You can scale it down to 2 gallons by dividing everything by three, with the theory that you will probably get down to 2-2.5 gallons with boil off when starting out with three gallons assuming a full boil.  If partial, just top up as normal and voila!

EDIT:  Engineer corrects his math-duh-matics.

Thanks, Yoop.  Still learning to read.  Didn't notice the extract word, right there big as life.  That might not be too bad then.

Thanks, Yoop.  Still learning to read.  Didn't notice the extract word, right there big as life.  That might not be too bad then.

Hey, I had to go back and correct my math!

Nope, a fermenter is a fermenter.  All have their pros and cons, but all make beer.

Exactly. I do really like the lbk though, especially the shape and the built-in blowoff system I've utilized a couple times. (I'm not joking when I say that, btw.) But mainly I'm looking forward to the day when someone tries one of my beers and says "Hey this is good, what kind of equipment setup do you have?" and I say "Mr. Beer." That's assuming anyone who knows about homebrewing likes my beer, of course. (Plus my girlfriend's family gave me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, so I'm showing my appreciation by using it regularly.)

I like to brew a little more than 2 gallons so I can afford to lose some wort to the hydrometer flask and the aforementioned blowoff system. 

Hmm, I still have some bottles of Midas Touch, I did not like it much

You can mail them to me. I like it. ;)

• Like 2