Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coodechris

Grapefruit

Hey guys I know I just put a thread in the other day about brewing a Blackberry Porter but I was also thinking about making a brew with grapefruit added to it. 

The question I present to eveyone is: Has anyone ever tried using grapefruit and if so how did it turn out and what type of HME did you/yall use?

I know of Boneyard Grapefruit IPA. Yeasts, zests, essential oils could all be used to add a grapefruit like aroma and taste to your beer. You should look the IPA I mentioned up, unless you're going for a different style of beer.

I know the grapefruit sculpin from ballast point, which is a IPA ,is a really good brew that I would like to clone but if not I would try that one as well 

Hey guys I know I just put a thread in the other day about brewing a Blackberry Porter but I was also thinking about making a brew with grapefruit added to it. 

The question I present to eveyone is: Has anyone ever tried using grapefruit and if so how did it turn out and what type of HME did you/yall use?

Grapefruit tastes bad enough just by itself.  Why ruin good beer with it?

• Like 3

I'm with you, grapefruit is the only citrus I cannot abide.

• Like 2

to each their own

You'll notice, I answered the question with out bias. My own preferences will not color my advice.

• Like 1

You'll notice, I answered the question with out bias. My own preferences will not color my advice.

Monochrome advice?

Monochrome advice?

LOL   50,000 comedians in this world out of work, and your trying to be funny.    

Shiner Ruby Redbird is an excellent grapefruit beer look for it even if you don't like grapefruit.  It's the ruby part that with wing you over *looks at non-grapefruit lovers*

I like galaxy hops for the OP's purpose.

Yes, I agree Shiner's Ruby Redbird is a very good beer thats pretty refreshing. I had forgotten all about that one. But still has anyone else tried to produce a grapefruit brew, I know this is my own concoction but I would like would appreciate some others input so that it can help me brainstorm on how to produce that type of beer.

And jimjohnson I saw your message about the cascade hops and I didnt ignore it, I will look into using those and see what happens with it.

Yes, I agree Shiner's Ruby Redbird is a very good beer thats pretty refreshing. I had forgotten all about that one. But still has anyone else tried to produce a grapefruit brew, I know this is my own concoction but I would like would appreciate some others input so that it can help me brainstorm on how to produce that type of beer.

And jimjohnson I saw your message about the cascade hops and I didnt ignore it, I will look into using those and see what happens with it.

Do you mean actual grapefruit juice, or zest?  I know of beers that use the zest of oranges, limes, etc. so I'm sure that could work.  I am not sure I ever have seen one that used the juice, but maybe I just never really looked.

But as you've already seen, just use Cascade as your hop.  It will taste like grapefruit.

• Like 1

I tried turning orange juice into wine in high school after learning about fermentation and distilling in chemistry class.  It was pretty foul.

I think if you want to use the actual juice then you would add it at bottling time.  Otherwise there seems to be a lot of threads about using zest.

Use the zest and the juice, but steer clear of the white pith. Get that in your beer and you're in for some unpleasant bitterness. Grapefruit is great in IPAs, many wheat beers, and sours, too.

• Like 1

yea I was meaning the zest but I will try putting some of the juice in during the bottling stage just to see what happens. I havent decided on which HME to try but I might go with the wheat instead of the IPA, just to try something different.

LOL   50,000 comedians in this world out of work, and your trying to be funny.    

"you're"

• Like 1

20 and 7 minutes of Cascade and you will have all the grapefruit you can stand.  No need zest, oils, extracts, or juices.

I really enjoy a hint of grapefruit in my beer and have brewed several batches with varying degrees of luck. The first time was a Mr Beer CAL batch (2.13 gal) with the juice of 1 grapefruit, the zest from about half of the same fruit, and the use of some Galaxy hops. The grapefruit flavor conditioned out and never did really take hold. My latest attempt was a 6.6# wheat LME (5 gallon batch) where I used galaxy hops and cascade hops. I also bumped the juice up to 2 fruit and bumped the zest up to 2 fruit. I added the zest 45 minutes into a 60 minute boil and then added the juice at 55 minutes. I then dry hopped with additional cascade and galaxy hops a week before bottling. This is a dumbed-down version of the recipe but it turned out pretty good and I'll be brewing it again (maybe with some tweaks).

Maybe try a grapefruit extract at bottling....is supposed to have a better effect

I really enjoy a hint of grapefruit in my beer and have brewed several batches with varying degrees of luck. The first time was a Mr Beer CAL batch (2.13 gal) with the juice of 1 grapefruit, the zest from about half of the same fruit, and the use of some Galaxy hops. The grapefruit flavor conditioned out and never did really take hold. My latest attempt was a 6.6# wheat LME (5 gallon batch) where I used galaxy hops and cascade hops. I also bumped the juice up to 2 fruit and bumped the zest up to 2 fruit. I added the zest 45 minutes into a 60 minute boil and then added the juice at 55 minutes. I then dry hopped with additional cascade and galaxy hops a week before bottling. This is a dumbed-down version of the recipe but it turned out pretty good and I'll be brewing it again (maybe with some tweaks).

Add the juice after a week of fermenting rather than during the boil. You'll get more flavor.

• Like 1

yea guys I found a beer from travelers brewery out of england I believe but they have a grapefruit ale that is absolutely amazing. It tastes like you drinking grapefruit juice with the hint at the end of an ale. A great summer time brew to just sit somewhere sip and relax. I would love to recreate this brew.

Someone drinks grapefruit juice?  Ewwwwww

I'm with you on that one...Grapefruit is the only citrus I have found, so far, I can't stand.

• Like 1