Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
spatu

Advice for a 2.5 batch and thank you notes!

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank all the great users of the forum who in the past helped me out with my first attempts to brew.

Yesterday I had my first sip to the Abbey Dubbel that I made and it was amazing!

I got it 3 weeks in the LBK, then 6 weeks in bottle and then the "famous" three days in the fridge: beautiful.

I want now to try a partial mash of a recipe that I found on the internet for a Belgian Dark Strong Ale that I would like to drink next Christmas.

It is a recipe for a 5 gal batch but I divided everything by two and this are the new specs:

OG: 1.076 

0.5 lb Belgian Pils,

0.75 lbs Bohemian Dark,

2 oz C-120,

1 oz Blackprinz.

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes

Add 3,75 lbs Pilsen LME to boil and increase bittering hops to 0.62 oz.

Ferment with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

I have two questions:

1) The liquid pack yeast that I got has written on it that is designed for 5 GAL, do I have to use half of it? Over pitching could be a big problem for this high gravity recipe?

2) How much water do I need for the mash? How many cups?

Thanks for the help!

LOL you went from first brew with MrB to full-blown AG?  And you're dividing 5 gallon batches?

What's next?  Reusing yeast, growing hops, and harvesting the barley?

That's not full blown AG,  just a partial mash. I did that by my 4th batch. When your ready, your ready. It's not so much a "batches under your belt" thing as it is just a confidence in your cooking abilities. I am NOT implying that if you don't brew AG then you can't cook. Time is a MAJOR factor. When I was the age of most of y'all I was working 2 jobs and father of 3(SWMBO was working one full time, I got her in to cabinet making and being mom, which is 2 and a half full time jobs). I barely had time to sleep, never mind brew even a MrB batch. So my hats off to you brewing Dads out there..."You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din."

• Like 2

Well Vacco, the sky is the limit.

Honestly, I am a very precise guy, following directions is not a big deal.

I am not going "mad scientist" here, just ask for an info but I'll figure it out myself.

Thank you anyway.

Bye.

I over pitched several batches but the only one to blow the top off my LBK was a Belgian HG yeast that was pitched at 1.09.  However,  I also had too much fluid in the LBK because I didn't plan properly some added water from dissolving the candy sugar in another pan.  I guess I would say don't worry about it and put the whole vial in.

Do you plan on sparging? at what temp? What about vorlauf? 60mins might even be a little high. Typical 1 gallon kits go for 45min. I believe that yeast is a smack pack but are you going to pitch the whole thing? Starter?

A quarter of water for every pound of grain, I will sparge at 170F.

I am going to pitch the whole thing.

A quarter of water for every pound of grain, I will sparge at 170F.

I am going to pitch the whole thing.

make it 168

• Like 1

Thank you Jim.

So, do you think that a quarter of water for every pound of grain it's a general thumb rule?

I am asking this because on the internet there are a lot of different views about it.

What's the precise rationale about the amount of water to be used when you're mashing grains?

Thank you Jim.

So, do you think that a quarter of water for every pound of grain it's a general thumb rule?

I am asking this because on the internet there are a lot of different views about it.

What's the precise rationale about the amount of water to be used when you're mashing grains?

That's the ratio I use.  Has to do with the best ratio of water and grain to get good sugar conversion. Also you only get to put so many gal in the pot. The trick is to find the best ratio for your brewing style. i.e. My APA is 6.22gal pre boil amount. I use 14 lbs of grain so the strike water is 14.62qts.. that means my 2 sparge(s) will be 2.12gal.. YMMV as these numbers also reflect my "boil off" rate.

• Like 2

Thank you Jim.

I really appreciate your help!

Today is the second day in the LBK and I got one of the most vigorous fermentation ever! Wyeast 3787 Trappist is a beast, I had a good overhead space in the LBK but I got spillage here and there, I clean up the mess and today it seems under control and the liquid temp is 68F, I will keep it consistent at this temperature.

I will keep you posted :)

• Like 2