Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mot

bottle label idea

so i had a thought for labeling my bottles... i'm thinking of spray painting some white board/dry erase on a small square of my 740ml bottles would this eat the plastic ? good or bad idea?

Three reasons not to: #1 - IMHO it would be rather ugly   #2 there are some very good sources for "Design your own" or where you build your own from templates. #3 Most likely not very durable. I am rather lucky in that my daughter is a very talented graphic designer who for my birthday designed and made some great labels. I'll try and post some pictures soon.

I use Black plainters tape on my bottles.  Then I write on each one of them with paint markers.  After I use the bottle, I just put on a new piece of tape.

I would not paint plastic bottles.

You could paint glass bottles.  But dry erase markers would rub off so easily.  And possibly stain.

I just scribble on the cap. I put the brew(i.e.MPA) and the bottling date. Anything else I want to know about this brew is available in my notes

• Like 1

so i had a thought for labeling my bottles... i'm thinking of spray painting some white board/dry erase on a small square of my 740ml bottles would this eat the plastic ? good or bad idea?

For my first batch I didn't use any labels.  I knew what I had so I didn't bother.  I've now started using Avery 58164 labels.  They are about the same size as your average beer label and you can use the free software from Avery to create custom labels.  Two sheets is all you need for the standard Mr. Beer batch with 740mL bottles.  The trick is to remove the labels before you clean the bottles.  When the labels get wet, they start to disintegrate and it makes them harder to remove.  I leave a blank line for "Date Bottled:______" so if I have extra labels I can save them for later use.

I wouldn't try painting the plastic bottles.  For best results, painting plastic requires paint with special additives for adhesion and flexibility.  I wouldn't want any of those paints around my beer.  Some of the paint suppliers make a chalkboard paint that can be used on glass.  This would be interesting to try, but I doubt it would stand up to soaking and sanitation very well.

Just yesterday I was in a store and saw glasses with an area painted with the blackboard paint for sale. 

it was just one of those late night ideas, hmmmmm i'd wonder if this would work? for the amount i brew i think i'll fallow what vakko does and label with painters tape

• Like 1

While you couldn't use that paint on the PET bottles one could use a proper enamel based chalkboard on glass bottles.

Some basic rules of paint/ink are...

Water based paints won't stick to substrates that cannot absorb water.

If the substrate is flexible the paint needs to be flexible.

When in doubt do a scratch test on a sample by lightly crosshatching a dried test area, firmly burnishing some masking tape to the cross hatch and violently yanking the tape off.  If the ink comes off clear to the substrate then it's not accurately dried.

The inks needed to do what you want to do on PET bottles could be easily manufactured and printed but it's not something consumer grade paints can do.  It is something that most screen print bottle printers could figure out though.  Mr Beer could do it.

I use printer paper. I print out a photo I want cut it to size then make copies of them. Very basic stuff! I wet the back of the labels with actually milk! It works great!

Dry erase would come off on your hands.  For bottles I dont plan on giving out for special occasions I simply put a number on the cap and have an Excel spreadsheet pinned to both my brew fridge and pantry.  So easy that even my wife now asks for me to get here a beer by the number.

• Like 1

So easy that even my wife now asks for me to get here a beer by the number.

Kinda like me ordering Chinese.  "Gimme a #8, please!"

I use an Epson Label maker to label the caps with a 2 letter code that corresponds with something in the beers name.  The stickers come off easily when it time to relabel.

This label maker is just something we happen to have around as my wife likes to label stuff that the rest of us boys are likely to mess up somehow.

don't paint them.  As soon as you squeeze them, the paint will crack and then it will get all over.  People have mentioned using flexible paint, but did not come out and say to not do it.  We could very easily silkscreen them, but choose not to because you guys want to have the flexibility as well.  I could instead make our stickers more flexible to allow you to space to write in your own name?

• Like 1

don't paint them.  As soon as you squeeze them, the paint will crack and then it will get all over.  People have mentioned using flexible paint, but did not come out and say to not do it.  We could very easily silkscreen them, but choose not to because you guys want to have the flexibility as well.  I could instead make our stickers more flexible to allow you to space to write in your own name?

Recipe specific labels?

I use blue painter's masking tape and a sharpie.  It looks good every time.

• Like 1

If the stickers were made out of a dry erase type surface it might be easiest.

I have many small round stickers with various designs on them(5th grade teacher) and I put one design on each type of beer.  I then have a chart that shows which beer each sticker is on.  My kids like putting the stickers on the caps for me.  Makes it a family activity.

I'm not sure how well the spray paint would work, but wouldn't recommend. I always order beer labels from LabelValue.com. You just email them your design and you can get a couple sheets for pretty cheap. And they look & feel like there pro quality. The 4x3" ones work nicely for my 750ml bottles and it was only like 20 bucks for 4 sheets or something like that. http://www.labelvalue.com/labels/pre-printed-stock-labels/custom-printed-labels/bottle-labels/custom-rectangle-small-batch-beer-labels-p-1789.html

post-65946-0-43564400-1427900445_thumb.j

I always order beer labels from LabelValue.com. You just email them your design and you can get a couple sheets for pretty cheap. And they look & feel like there pro quality. The 4x3" ones work nicely for my 750ml bottles and it was only like 20 bucks for 4 sheets or something like that. http://www.labelvalue.com/labels/pre-printed-stock-labels/custom-printed-labels/bottle-labels/custom-rectangle-small-batch-beer-labels-p-1789.html

That is over $1 per label, nice if it were for a wedding or something special like that.  I use beer labelizer http://www.beerlabelizer.com/, for a $5 (one time) fee you get access to all of the labels on the site.  I just print them on paper and cut them out while watching TV.  Then label at my leasure, much more affordable for my everyday bottling.

• Like 1

FYI cant remember if it was mentioned but a lot of people apply paper labels with milk as it makes them easy to remove.  I aint goona stick a sticker on a bottle that I spent a ton of time trying to get the stupid label off of.

• Like 1

I use glue sticks, purchased during back to school sales @ $.25 per stick.  Work great on glass bottles.  On PET bottles they don't hold up as well, so I use 2 tiny pieces of scotch tape.

• Like 1

I radio-frequency identification (RFID) my bottles.  This way I know exactly what beer is in the house, but also where said beer is while a simple touch of the button.  Also with the RFID my robot butler, Kat0, can find them as well.

That is over $1 per label, nice if it were for a wedding or something special like that.  I use beer labelizer http://www.beerlabelizer.com/, for a $5 (one time) fee you get access to all of the labels on the site.  I just print them on paper and cut them out while watching TV.  Then label at my leasure, much more affordable for my everyday bottling.

This is also what I use, Beer Labelizer  http://www.beerlabelizer.com/, seems to work pretty good for what I do. I then use a glue stick to attach them to my plastic bottles. I'm wondering though, if he'll offer any more label designs? I sent him an email but still awaiting a reply.

Part of the fun of home brewing for me is creating labels.  I use an old graphics program to print them on label paper.  They come off easy enough with a little soaking in hot water.  The best part is they look great in the fridge.  Here's one for the Camilla's Folly recipe that's in the LBK right now.

Rick

How'd you do that?? I can't figure out how to post pics here

Just upload your pictures to photobuctet or facebook and "copy URL."  Use the "image" button here and paste in your url.

• Like 1