Mr.Beer Community

I have been fermenting "Black Moon Rising" recipe for three weeks. According to the recipe this should finish at 7.1% ABV. When I brewed it, my hydrometer was broken so I couldn't take an initial so.gr. measurement. I got a new hydrometer and today, after three weeks of fermenting, the sp.gr. reading was 1.022. This seems high still. Should I give it more time or bottle?

When FG remains unchanged at 2 readings, 48 hours apart, you know you are done. Seems a tad high, FG is listed as 1.016, but I suspect it is done.

• Like 1

Roughly 25% of OG, but it varies. Wait 21 days as we recommend and you're good.

• Like 1

From howtobrew.com,

A hydrometer is a useful tool in the hands of a brewer who knows what wort gravity is and why he wants to measure it. Beer recipes often list the Original and/or Final Gravities (OG and FG) to better describe the beer to the reader. For an average beer yeast, a rule of thumb is that the FG should be about 1/4 to 1/5 of the OG. For example, a typical beer OG of 1.040 should finish about 1.010 (or lower). A couple of points either way is not unusual.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of brewing the Black Moon Rising.....and I notice the different ingredients in the Coopers Aussie site.

• 1.3kg Winter Dark Ale
  • 1  Robust Malt Extract
  • 1  Smooth Malt Extract

compared to the US Mr Beer site.

• 1 Can Winter Dark Ale Brewing Extract
  • 2 - Smooth LME

TheHowling....have you tasted it yet? I wonder what the difference the Robust LME makes?

Cheers Mark

Robust - Brewers profile: Rich ebony color, coffee and dark chocolate aromas with a robust toasty flavor.

Smooth - Brewers profile: Reddish hues, coffee aromas, toffee richness of flavor with residual sweetness.

8.8 oz of impact won't do much.

I, for some reason, always stall out at 1.022.

If you do that on every batch then something is wrong.  Either you have too many non-fermentables in the brew, or you're stalling out your yeast.  In general, a Mr. Beer batch should end up in the 1.008 area for FG using Mr. Beer's yeast.  Seasonal brews seem to often be in the 1.015 range or a tad higher.  One in particular seems to be hitting 1.020 - 1.022 for some brewers.  

A rule of thumb is 25% of your OG.  So if you start at 1.060, you should end around 1.015.  That varies by type of yeast used of course.  

If in fact a brew is not done fermenting when you bottle, it makes it more likely that there will be bottle bombs, as you introduce new sugar into the bottle for the yeast to try and finish fermentation with.  Not guaranteed, just more likely.  And, it's more likely you will get geysers.

• Like 1

I, for some reason, always stall out at 1.022.

You might be too cold during your ferm, underpitching, or using too much non-fermentable sugar.

If none of those, you could try using yeast nutrient.

Thanks for your reply RickBeer.....I'm looking forward to tasting this once it finished fermenting.

Its been fermenting in my WW fermentor for 8 days now and smells great.

Cheers Mark