Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Husker Brew

Ok to move your LBK during fermentation?

I just did my first batch today in the LBK and I was worried it might not being warm enough where I had it, so I moved it to a new location. Is it ok to move it during fermentation or did I just ruin the batch? I was very careful to reduce as much sloshing as possible but I can see the top layer of sediment kind of mixed throughout the batch as opposed to laying on top like it was before.

As long as you were gentle i am sure you are fine. Others suggest placing your LBK in a cooler (igloo or other) for numerous reasons (temp control, spillage prevention, etc) and state moving the whole cooler as a unit will help keep the sloshing down to a minimum.

• Like 1

I just did my first batch today in the LBK and I was worried it might not being warm enough where I had it, so I moved it to a new location. Is it ok to move it during fermentation or did I just ruin the batch? I was very careful to reduce as much sloshing as possible but I can see the top layer of sediment kind of mixed throughout the batch as opposed to laying on top like it was before.

OH MY GOD!

It's fine. Make sure you don't get it too warm. Ideal is 65 wort temp, not air temp. Air temp of 70 will yield a wort temp of 76 possibly. That's pushing it.

• Like 1

It will have lots of time to settle (let it ferment a full three weeks) BTW - some like the extra yeast they get at the bottom of the bottles. 

• Like 1

You'll be just fine. I've had to move my fermentation vessels (LBKs and 1 gallon glass jugs) multiple times due to temperature fluctuations in different areas of the house and because of this ever changing Spring weather and as long as you're not disturbing the brew too much, all is fine.

• Like 1

I move my ales all the time.  I keep them out on a tray for the first day or 2.  Then I move them into the closet.

• Like 3