Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brybry

Recipe Ingredients restricted diet

My father is on a restricted diet of no gluten or high fructose corn syrup. And please without the debate that often come along with the questions. Does anybody know if any of the Mr Beer recipes or ingredients would be gluten & high fructose corn syrup free? I'd love to make him a beer he can drink without worry.

JoeChiante has been brewing for the past year or so gluten-free beers.  Send him a PM if he doesn't chime in.  He's old, so make sure you speak up...   :lol:

• Like 3

Unfortunately, the only products we sell that are gluten free are the hard cider kits.

After it finishes fermenting there ain't going to be any syrup left. Sugar don't make it past the yeast

I suppose you're right.  But maybe it's for some kinda ethical reasons on top so I are postin as directed.

I can't have gluten, either, or more honestly, I'm not supposed to. Sometimes I just accept the consequences if I want something bad enough.

I had given up on brewing until I learned about Clarity Ferm. I've been using it in every batch of beer I've made for the past 10 months, and it seems to be working great.

It was originally sold to remove protein haze, but it turns out it reduces the gluten to a level that would qualify as 'gluten free', although they don't market it that way.

I've used it on Mr Beer batches, partial mash batches, and all grain batches. They all taste great and they don't mess with me. It couldn't get any easier. You might want to try it.

FYI, I've been paying $3 for Clarity Ferm at my LHBS (Austin Home Brew Supply).  If you can find it local, it can be a good deal.

BTW, malted gluten free grains are starting to become available, although not widely available and a bit more expensive than barley.

But that's a way to go "truly" gluten free, if you don't mind doing all grain.  I'd suggest using amylase enzyme with them, just for good measure,

as well as rice hulls to help drainage, since they're mostly awful small grains.

There's millet, buckwheat, rice and corn, even sunflower, believe it or not,if you can find them.  I'll be trying them out in the near future.

I'll try to post the results for anyone interested.  By the time I brew it and condition it, anyway. 

After it finishes fermenting there ain't going to be any syrup left. Sugar don't make it past the yeast

Jim I don't understand how it could be a problem either. But Mom says NO high fructose corn syrup, and then says regular corn syrup is OK. The thought is to make a beer for my Dad, and please my Mom at the same time, makes for a more pleasant cookout.

I can't have gluten, either, or more honestly, I'm not supposed to. Sometimes I just accept the consequences if I want something bad enough.

I had given up on brewing until I learned about Clarity Ferm. I've been using it in every batch of beer I've made for the past 10 months, and it seems to be working great.

It was originally sold to remove protein haze, but it turns out it reduces the gluten to a level that would qualify as 'gluten free', although they don't market it that way.

I've used it on Mr Beer batches, partial mash batches, and all grain batches. They all taste great and they don't mess with me. It couldn't get any easier. You might want to try it.

Joe, after talking to mom & dad a bit more they say the gluten isn't that big of a problem, but I think I'll get some of the Clarity Ferm and use it anyway. Is there any downside to using it?

Thanks for all the comments

Joe, after talking to mom & dad a bit more they say the gluten isn't that big of a problem, but I think I'll get some of the Clarity Ferm and use it anyway. Is there any downside to using it?

Thanks for all the comments

I have no knowledge of any downside. It has virtually no effect on taste, smell, color, body or anything. Supposedly it helps clarify the beer by helping the proteins drop down into the trub, and apparently that includes gluten. I'm totally happy with it.

• Like 1