Mr.Beer Community
Robin

.....nervous

I am soooo nervous, however anxious at the same time !!!   I brewed my 1st batch of Irish Stout on March 13th.  Been watching it everyday just like a newborn baby.   My question is:  I do not have a hydrometer so I decided to wait until this Saturday (April 4th) to bottle.  Is that enough time for the fermation process ??

• Like 3

Oh, this takes me back to my newborn days. Checking on my baby Blonde ever couple hours, making sure its not to warm, not to cold. Ensuring she was safe from deadly UV rays. Singing to her, sweet lullabies as she drifted off to sleep. Yep, we are all nuts.. and WELCOME!

As long as your in the proper fermentation temp range (mid-high 60's), 3 weeks will be good. Happy Brewing!

• Like 2

Welcome!

Yep, right on the 3 week fermentation schedule assuming temps are where they need to be.  As I'm sure you have read, bottle and leave at 70°F or thereabouts for 4 weeks.  Pop one in the fridge a day or 3 before you are ready to drink.  Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

• Like 4

Welcome

Like they said 3 weeks in the fermenter and 4 in the bottles @ room temp.(out of direct sunlight)

• Like 1

I usually end up with a partial or end of bottling bottle. I will test that one in a couple weeks after it is carbonated just to see. If they are all full bottles, I generally crack one after 2 weeks if carbonated just to see. If you are bottle priming wait until the last bottle has the last of the wort before priming it (the others I put sugar dots in before beer). You do not want to over prime 1/2 bottle.

If this is your first batch, once they are carbonated (if PET, rock hard bottles), I would open one a week and experience the changes that maturation time gives. Then next time you will know what you like best. You will also have bottles available sooner for your next batch  :D

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input !!  Bring on May 2nd !!!!!!    I was also thinking of putting in some coffee when it came to bottling time, does that sound like something that I should do?? 

Thank you all for your input !!  Bring on May 2nd !!!!!!    I was also thinking of putting in some coffee when it came to bottling time, does that sound like something that I should do?? 

Sure - but only do it to some bottles, try 2 or 3 different amounts, and then compare to no coffee.

You will also get an astringent, bitter flavor from the coffee depending on how you add it.  Adding coffee to the boil imparts a bitter taste to the brew. 

I too added coffee, as an experiment, at bottling. I cold brewed it for 24 hours. Cold brewing is supposed to result in the least astringent result. Used 20 oz of water and 4 oz (8 tablespoons) of coffee, which I dumped into the water. Put it fridge, next day strained through a coffee filter. Then added an oz to 6 bottles and 1.5 oz to another 7 (planned on 6, had 1.5 oz left so did 7). I went all out on the coffee, using our everyday Maxwell House French Roast lol.gif 

• Like 1

Welcome to the obsession! After you have brewed your first batch, you might consider getting another LBK and getting a pipeline going.

Welcome to the obsession! After you have brewed your first batch, you might consider getting another LBK and getting a pipeline going.

You may be onto something !  It's killin me the whole waiting process, but I will have patience.  :) 

or two or three... just sayin'

Edit:

the wife chimed in with:  "maybe you want to wait to see if these two turn out ok first, before you get more."  

I can't understand her logic... sometimes she makes no sense.  

• Like 2

or two or three... just sayin'

Edit:

the wife chimed in with:  "maybe you want to wait to see if these two turn out ok first, before you get more."  

I can't understand her logic... sometimes she makes no sense.  

haaahaaaa

OMG .... I think I may have made a FATAL mistake.  So sad right now.....  I didn't put the clips on correctly on the LBK.....there are air holes on each side.....   Do I need to start over??

What clips?  Mine doesn't have any clips.  Did you put the sticker on?  That's important.

I have the 8Lx and it most definitely has two clips..........   

"When you notice that most of the visible activity has stopped, it’s time to remove the krausen kollar, which is designed to collect the bulk of the foam residue. Take off the fermenter lid, remove the kollar, and then simply place the lid back on."

sounds like it is just to help with spill over... 

"When you notice that most of the visible activity has stopped, it’s time to remove the krausen kollar, which is designed to collect the bulk of the foam residue. Take off the fermenter lid, remove the kollar, and then simply place the lid back on."

sounds like it is just to help with spill over... 

SHEW !!!   *wiping the sweat from my brow*   thank you.

The clips are not an issue at all, the lid and Krausen collar are not tight enough to prevent venting.  I think the clips are there just in case you have a really big Krausen rise that could push off the lid.  As Cowboy Kyle said, you can remove the Krausen collar after the krausen has broken down or just leave it on, It won't hurt anything to leave it in place until you are ready to bottle.

The 8lx does have an issue where because of the design of the spigot, it collects trub in that area.  At bottling time, the first thing I do is fill my "sanitized" measuring cup with about 8 oz of beer before I attach my bottling wand.  This beer then gets a little time to settle while I finish setting everything up and I use it to fill my hydrometer tube to check my gravity.  This pretty much clears the trub from the spigot area and you have clear beer going into your bottles.

Welcome to the obsession, you will probably get another kit like most everybody else here.  I have the 24lx, 8lx and a 1gallon jug.  I basically brew and bottle every weekend.

Bah...krausen collars are for sissies. REAL brewers use "The Mr.Beer LBK Built-in Blowoff System™".

• Like 2

I'll probably be sorry I ask, but somebody's got to be the straight man

What is the "MrB LBK built-in Blowoff System"? pray tell

• Like 1

I'll probably be sorry I ask, but somebody's got to be the straight man

What is the "MrB LBK built-in Blowoff System"? pray tell

You know the two little holes at the top of the threads on your lbk? They're the same ones that vent the CO2, and they double as exit portals for your krausen so it can complete its journey to your kitchen counter, or whatever surface your lbk is sitting on. (Thanks for playing along, btw.  :D )

• Like 2

You know the two little holes at the top of the threads on your lbk? They're the same ones that vent the CO2, and they double as exit portals for your krausen so it can complete its journey to your kitchen counter, or whatever surface your lbk is sitting on. (Thanks for playing along, btw.  :D )

Doesn't work on the 8LX

Vakko, you're correct. It's an exclusive feature of the LBK. Hence the name  "The Mr.Beer LBK Built-in Blowoff System™". Now, some people see it in action and think "Oh no, there's a mess."  But the real brewer says "F*** yeah. That's some happy yeast right there."   B) 

• Like 3

You will also get an astringent, bitter flavor from the coffee depending on how you add it.  Adding coffee to the boil imparts a bitter taste to the brew. 

I too added coffee, as an experiment, at bottling. I cold brewed it for 24 hours. Cold brewing is supposed to result in the least astringent result. Used 20 oz of water and 4 oz (8 tablespoons) of coffee, which I dumped into the water. Put it fridge, next day strained through a coffee filter. Then added an oz to 6 bottles and 1.5 oz to another 7 (planned on 6, had 1.5 oz left so did 7). I went all out on the coffee, using our everyday Maxwell House French Roast lol.gif 

I'll assume that fresh coffee from a drip style coffee maker would be sterile, but what about cold brewed coffee would you need to boil it before adding it to the bottles?

Vakko, you're correct. It's an exclusive feature of the LBK. Hence the name  "The Mr.Beer LBK Built-in Blowoff System™". Now, some people see it in action and think "Oh no, there's a mess."  But the real brewer says "F*** yeah. That's some happy yeast right there."   B) 

I call it keg pooping ... and as all old men know, a good constitutional means you are going to have a good day.

• Like 3