Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdeck

Star San

I bought star san for sanitizing my equipment. It says to air dry after using. Do I have to air dry or can I immediately start brewing after using?

let it sit for about 30 sec(how long it actually takes to disinfect) and brew on. do not fear the foam

• Like 2

the foam it generates apparently is a snack for the yeast... they don't seem to mind it.  I allow contact for a few minutes then just start using the tubes, glassware etc.   on bottling day I dunk in starsan.. let bottles set for a little bit, drain.  any foam left in the bottle I never worry about either.

star san is safe and really a good product. just wear plastic gloves when working with it if you have sensitive skin. it stings a little in open cuts or cracks.. . and can dry your skin.

I don't bottle and brew in the same day because I do so many batches.  After I bottle, I wash my LBK(s), sanitize, then flip them to dry over night.

But my understanding is exactly what Jim said: 30 seconds an they're gtg

This bottle says 1oz per 5 gal of water. Do you just put a small amount in and slosh it around for 30 seconds or is there a better way

The math works out to about 6ml per gallon. I just use a small graduated cylinder for measuring it, rinse it a couple times to get all the StarSan out, and fill a 1 gallon jug, plus flush the jug out with a little extra water. It's not failed me yet.

I just started using Star San recently and I love it. No more dissolving all those little granules of 1-Step-ish sanitizers, and no rinsing...just dump out the excess. I keep a little bucket handy whenever I do brewing stuff and rinse my hands in it periodically, along with various brewing utensils. 

I keep a spray bottle handy of star san, it's very handy on brew day .  Also, after emptying a PET bottle I rinse it out well.  Give the inside 9 sprays, put the cap loosely back on turn upside down so just a bit comes out the loose cap.  Tighten and shake until the bottle is covered on the inside.  Then I just store them this way until time for bottling.  Bottling time I dump out the contents that remain, which is like a tablespoon, and fill with beer.

The math works out to about 6ml per gallon. I just use a small graduated cylinder for measuring it, rinse it a couple times to get all the StarSan out, and fill a 1 gallon jug, plus flush the jug out with a little extra water. It's not failed me yet.

Really?  Been a long, long time since algebra.  Well I been having success at currant levels. However, I should point out my measurements are to the "full" side. I mean I make the level of the Star San slightly above the 5ml mark in a kind of "baker's dozen" mindset.

I use good old American measurements - 1 teaspoon of StarSan makes 8/10 of a gallon.  I measured 8/10 on my slimline and that's what I use.  

This bottle says 1oz per 5 gal of water. Do you just put a small amount in and slosh it around for 30 seconds or is there a better way

What you want to do is make up a StarSan solution in some type of container (1 gallon milk container, bucket with lid) at the proper ratio, and then use that to sanitize everything, reusing the solution for weeks if not months (of course you should only be sanitizing CLEAN things).  You can also pour some of the solution in a spray bottle and use it.

I make my 8/10 of a gallon (1 teaspoon) and use that for 3 batches - bottle today and then brew sometime in the next few days, then bottle that 3 weeks later and brew a few days after that, then again 3 weeks later.  So I brew and bottle 3 batches with one teaspoon of StarSan.  Then, at the 6 week mark I toss it.

If you use a spray bottle a gallon will last almost forever.  I used to do the dunk-n-slosh and save the solution.  Now I use the sprayer and just dump it as I use so little.

• Like 1

I just picked up a bottle of StarSan.  Nice to see the different ways to use it. 

The only time I do anything but spray, is the inside of my bottles and the bottling bucket/LBKs(I like to run some thru the spigot)

We have a 5 gallon (Orange Homer) bucket of star san on hand at all times. We are brewing/bottling ever couple days so it was just easier to keep a big batch of it laying around. We make a fresh batch roughly once a month. We have been sanitizing this way for about a year with no issues... and as others have said.. DONT FEAR THE FOAM!!

Quart bottle has 1/2 oz and 1 oz marks only.

Really? That's like the smaller sizes my LHBS carries. Never looked at the Qt. size.  The 16oz has 1oz and 1/2oz turn the bottle around, and the other side has 30, 15 & 5ml

I was told to use 1/8 tsp to one gallon  1/8 tsp. ( .6ml  ) does this sound right ?

I was told to use 1/8 tsp to one gallon  1/8 tsp. ( .6ml  ) does this sound right ?

No, that doesn't.  Who told you that?  Did you read the instructions on the bottle?

Clearly says 1 ounce for 5 gallons, as does info early in this thread.

Therefore, for one gallon it would be one-fifth of an ounce.  6 teaspoons in an ounce, 6/5 = 1.2 teaspoons.  Hence why I make 8/10 of a gallon, which is one teaspoon exactly.  

• Like 1