Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coodechris

Problems with my porter

Ok guys, hopefully someone can help me out

I have started fermenting the american porter to make my blackberry porter and after less than a day I went to check my fermenter and it has pour out of the airlocks on the top. The question is, is my beer ruined or is it salvageable. I'm sure well hope its not ruin since there is what looks to be only a tablespoon or 2 that has come out I am just trying to see what I need to do.

I put it in a cooler and had a few ice packs in it but I think it maybe still got to hot but since I am still so new to this I am not certain.

Please help, Thanks all.

You should be ok.  My last batch blew out as well and it's turning out nicely.  Just let it do it's thing and don't mess with it.

Congratulations! You've just discovered "The Mr.Beer LBK Built-in Blowoff System™".

• Like 3

Kidding aside, that's a good thing the vast majority of the time. It just means you have lots of healthy happy yeast and a nice big layer of krausen. It serves the same purpose as a blowoff tube on a glass carboy, if you're familiar with that. Put a try under it and let it do its thing. A lot of the stuff that escaped would have ended up being trub (the gunk at the bottom of your fermenter), so you won't miss it.

haha thanks yall, like I said I was sure it was nothing but I was just making sure. Also, do yall know what the best temp. I should be keeping it at? It is around the low 70's right now but I thought I read somewhere, where it needed to be in the high 50s to mid 60s?

You don't want to go cooler than 62. And that's wort temp, not air temp.

• Like 1

Ideally I'd shoot for low 60s ambient temperature, since you don't want the temp of your beer to go much past 70 especially during the initial, most active part of fermentation. If you want to play it safe, put your lbk in a cooler with a freezer pack or two, check the temp once in a while, and add/remove freezer packs as needed to keep the temp where you want it. Fermenting above 70 (within reason)  won't ruin your beer, but you might end up with some flavors you weren't expecting.

Yea that's what I was thinking and I'm not truly trying to get it that low I was going to keep it around 70, but like I said I was just wanting to make sure. \

And ya its been in a cooler since feeling the LBK and I keep 2 freezer packs in it and change them daily( albeit its been alittle over 24 hrs but I will keep it that way until I bottle)

If you don't have one, get a stick on thermometer for your lbk, it'll give you a pretty close temperature reading for the actual beer inside. I have been known to open my lbk and get a quick reading with a sanitized digital thermemoter, but that is not a recommended practice due to concerns about oxidation and cooties.

Ya there is one now on the bottom but I have to pull the LBK out of the cooler to look at it so I try to keep that at a minimum to reduce sloshing of the brew.

Gotcha. You don't have to worry about a little bit of sloshing. All the trub will settle back to the bottom, just give it some time to do that if you move it around just prior to bottling. A lot of guys on here "cold crash" their beer (i.e. stick it in the fridge for a few days) before they bottle for this reason.

I use 20 ounce frozen water bottles two per cooler to keep my fermentation pretty consistent to the recommended temp according to the recipe and I change those two bottles out every 12 hrs. the Jamaica mon recipe and monkey's donkel require cooler temps  

Thats a good idea Hoppysmile thanks I might have to try that as well.

I was wondering what cold crashed meant as well so again thanks for the info

When I don't have a cooler or ice packs handy, I have my teenage son stand next to the LBK. He's the coolest thing around. If you don't believe me, just ask him. And if it gets too cool, I have his sister stand there. Apparently she's the hottest thing around. No wonder I drink so much beer.

LMAO!!!

ive learned about cold crashing and everything i'm learning now frm all these great guys on this mr. beer forum. when ur beer is ready to bottle, but ur concerned about the trub ( sludge in the bottom of the keg), possibly getting into the bottle,  u can store the keg in the fridge for approx. 72 hrs, this stage will not hurt the beer, and it'll temporary solidify the trub so when u fill ur bottles u will have less flowing until maybe at the end of the keg. hope that helps!

Did it look anything like this?

4993882989_1130732a15_z.jpg

(this one turned out great, by the way...   ;) )

Follow advice listed and...  pan underneath, clean with sanitized q-tip and/or towel, make sure to unclog the air vents, mind your temps (I go for 64-66 degrees), etc.

• Like 3

Did it look anything like this?

That brought a little tear to my eye.  :rolleyes:

I have a 2 year old who... how shall I say this... isn't a firm processor.  That picture makes me queazy with parallels.  I instinctively reached for the baby wipes when I saw it.

• Like 2

Don't you just love it when the yeast party blows the lid off! You're making Beer my good chap!

• Like 2