Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Huyett25

Winter Seasonal Smell

I started Winter Seasonal on Wednesday night.  Lots of foam on it after one day.  The only problem is it stinks.  The smell is horrible.  The other recipes and refills I did had a nice beer smell to it.  This stinks.  Does this sound like it may be normal or does it sound like it has gone bad?

Mine was very fruity smelling the first few days, but I did let the wort creep up to 75F during peak fermentation.  I made the recipe straight up.

Mine does have a different smell as well, I am thinking because of the spices.  Prebottle, the taste is ok but very heavy on the spice, I plan to let it condition til about November and hope the spices are not as overwelming by then as they are now.

I made a 4 gallon batch with 2 HMEs and 3 Pale LMEs.

I just made it straight up and didn't get any smell issues.  I used the the supplied T-58 and didn't have any significant action.

I wonder if your pitch temp was too high...

I made a Winter Dark Ale one time that had me worried. Crazy as it sounds, that thing smelled like bologna or salami when it was fermenting. I just kept on trucking and it turned out to be a good beer. Never did figure out what the heck caused that smell. HoHopefully yours will turn out fine as well.

A sulfur like smell is not so unusual. I had a couple of brews that were not very good smelling but turned out fine. As Joe said, I never did figure out why. My guess is the yeast were busy with amino acids and proteins, releasing sulfur compounds in the process. Bad smells can also be from ketones and aldehydes, and fatty acids, more complex chemistry. The end product is what counts however. 

Can you be more descriptive? Does it smell sour, sulfury, skunky, grassy, etc? Having a little more information will better help us troubleshoot the issue.

Just went in basement where it is and my wife commented on a sulfur smell.  So I guess it smells like sulfur.

What yeast did you use?  Because the supplied T-58 shouldn't make a sulfur smell.

Just went in basement where it is and my wife commented on a sulfur smell.  So I guess it smells like sulfur.

That is a fairly common byproduct from fermentation. There are many variables such as the ones described by Brian above that could have caused it. The good news is, unlike most other off-aromas/flavors, this one will dissipate fairly quickly with continued fermentation/conditioning. Just keep fermenting for the 3 weeks, then bottle. If you wish, you can leave it for an extra week (4 weeks) to let the So2 off-gas before bottling.

I was planning on seeing it through.  May let it go four weeks .  Just got second LBK so I can let seasonal sit an extra week and get Plasma Porter in 2nd one.  Thanks for the help.

What yeast did you use?  Because the supplied T-58 shouldn't make a sulfur smell.

I used the supplied yeast.

Sulfur Dioxide (rotten egg smell) can form under anaerobic conditions. As mentioned, it will fade quickly. There are some sulfur dioxide producing bacteria, but they have more of "septic tank" smell.

I am also brewing an ale which uses the T 58 yeast as well(hopithany white IPA) and am also noticing a different smell coming from my fermentation. (First time using a diffedent yeast)I wouldn't necessarily say it is a sulfur smell (maybe..."sweaty"?) but it is different from the bread baking smells I have observed from prior batches using the Mr B supplied yeast. I think what we are observing here is what will end up being the personal characteristics of the T 58 Yeast when all is said and done. Or maybe it is SO2 as a natural byproduct of the process, either way I trust that all is good and have faith in the process. :-)

• Like 1