Mr.Beer Community
TeeDubbya

How Much Yeast is Too Much?

So much great info here. But while I'm still trolling the forum and learning I have a burning question I am not finding an answer for:

Can you pitch too much yeast in an LBK size batch?

I just brewed my first batch of Ale that came with the kit. The yeast had expired due to my ignorance and I replaced it with a US05 from my LHBS. I inquired a bit before brewing and was advised I could pitch the whole 11g packet of yeast. But I see the Mr. Beer recipes include a 2g packet which has put me on alert. I did take care to pitch at the right temp.

My LBK has been fermenting at 70° for 2 weeks now. I neglected to take an OG reading as I was just following the kit instructions (which I now see will not produce a really good brew). Based on what I have read so far it looks like I could/should allow fermentation to continue for another week or two before bottling. 

So I am wondering if my 11g full packet pitch plunged my batch into Neverland or if I shouldn't mind it. 

Yes - I will get better at this. Because I know I'm in the right place to ask the questions.

Great forum.

First, the Mr. Beer refills come with a 5 gram packet of yeast. The old product, discontinued 2 1/2 years ago, came with 2 grams.

An S-05 packet of 11.5 grams is fine, as has been posted many times. You should ferment for 3 weeks, not 4.

• Like 2

Without looking at a packet of the packet of US-05 in my fridge I believe the packet is for up to about 5.5 gallons.  (I know it's labeled in Litres but if I remember correctly it translates out to 5.5 gallons.)

But anyway...What I did when I was using the LBK was split the packet in half;  I'd pour the entire packet out on to a clean, dry plate and draw the yeast out into a line (I'm not going to go into how I learned to do this <_< ) and then divide the line in two.  It was plenty of yeast for an LBK sized batch and I got two batches of beer out of one packet.

Without looking at a packet of the packet of US-05 in my fridge I believe the packet is for up to about 5.5 gallons.  (I know it's labeled in Litres but if I remember correctly it translates out to 5.5 gallons.)

But anyway...What I did when I was using the LBK was split the packet in half;  I'd pour the entire packet out on to a clean, dry plate and draw the yeast out into a line (I'm not going to go into how I learned to do this <_< ) and then divide the line in two.  It was plenty of yeast for an LBK sized batch and I got two batches of beer out of one packet.

I'm looking at a pack of US-05 and it says 20-30 liters.

Yeah, I use ~ 1/2 pack too when not very strong brew. If  quite strong, I use all pack.

To make 1/2, I pour put the grains and count them out into 2 piles  (just kidding - oh sorry 4/1 is past.) No really, I shake the pack until the content seems evenly distributed then fold the pack in 2, and cut one end and empty out that side. I can then tape it shut with limited air getting to the other side.

I tape the half full pack shut to seal it and keep in fridge They say 7 days but I have kept for months and had no issue.

All very interesting, but the OP had already used an entire packet and was questioning if it was ok, which it is.

• Like 1

All very interesting, but the OP had already used an entire packet and was questioning if it was ok, which it is.

You answered that right away, and I agree. I use 11.5g in my LBKs as I would have to store an open pack of yeast for 3 weeks.

@RickBeer - So you can see how old my kit was.

@all - Thanks for all your replies and tips. I'll have to try different things to see what works best as I brew more!

I pitched an entire 11.5 US-05 in my CAL recipe and it came out awesome. Don't worry about it